A new Low in Heath

The ice caps are melting, and now are forming in Ohio.

Hee heee :)

Funny thing, as a rambuctious bumpkin growing up, a whole year was like forever, and summertime seemed endless with a periodic winter break long enough for Christmas and a few snow days.

Now, much much older it feels like winter is the real permanant season with a short and fast summer pause, but a cold front is never far off. I actually get dissapointed when we don't get enough summer days in the high 90's, and I won't even ride my street motorcycle until the temp gets above 70.

On the Global Warming B.S., (which I believe some of it is!) Even though the facts and the science has further evolved around this topic, they heven't changed the phaseout schedules for CFC's and HCFCs which initially they said was causing it all. (Remember the ozone layer hole?). Most suspected it was a dirty business deal made behind closed doors at a congressionial level. The most pathetic part is the replacement refrigerants costs as much as the gas they're phasing out.

And I've been blowing the horn very loudly that the American public is soon to have a rude awakening as we inch closer to the January 1st, 2015 90% phaseout on R22 refrigerant which is in probably 95% of A/C' systems nationwide. You ain't gonna be able (afford) to buy it, and there still isn't a direct drop in replacement.

So what's that all mean? That means if your home A/C ain't as cold as it use to be...... You get to replace the whole system. Yeehaw! (that'll be cheap huh?)

Sorry, got off on a tangeant........ where were we, Oh' yeah... "it's cold outside, and some Honda dealers suck!" :)

And I've been blowing the horn very loudly that the American public is soon to have a rude awakening as we inch closer to the January 1st, 2015 90% phaseout on R22 refrigerant which is in probably 95% of A/C' systems nationwide. You ain't gonna be able (afford) to buy it, and there still isn't a direct drop in replacement.

So what's that all mean? That means if your home A/C ain't as cold as it use to be...... You get to replace the whole system. Yeehaw! (that'll be cheap huh?)

I did not know that......that will not be good!

Hee heee :)

Funny thing, as a rambuctious bumpkin growing up, a whole year was like forever, and summertime seemed endless with a periodic winter break long enough for Christmas and a few snow days.

Now, much much older it feels like winter is the real permanant season with a short and fast summer pause, but a cold front is never far off. I actually get dissapointed when we don't get enough summer days in the high 90's, and I won't even ride my street motorcycle until the temp gets above 70.

On the Global Warming B.S., (which I believe some of it is!) Even though the facts and the science has further evolved around this topic, they heven't changed the phaseout schedules for CFC's and HCFCs which initially they said was causing it all. (Remember the ozone layer hole?). Most suspected it was a dirty business deal made behind closed doors at a congressionial level. The most pathetic part is the replacement refrigerants costs as much as the gas they're phasing out.

Sorry, got off on a tangeant........ where were we, Oh' yeah... "it's cold outside, and some Honda dealers suck!" :)

Good thing my AC unit was new in 2006.

I'll retract back just a touch. There are a couple refrigerants that claim to be direct drop-in replacements, "BUT", don't be overly anxious on this because they all have their drawbacks. And of course before you can even put the new blends in your system you have to have the existing gas recovered/reclaimed, and then the system evacuated. Refrigerant "oil reactivity" (your compressor oil) is the achilles heel in all of this.

Ironically the very company that created "Freon", has probably the closest direct replacement for R22. It's called M099, made by none other than Dupont, but I found out that some of the equipment compressor manufacturers are refusing it and stating if someone uses it, they will void their warranty. If you have an old system maybe no biggy, but if you have a newer system, and costly equipment, your taking a gamble.

For a handful of years now, most new installations contain R410A instead of 22, so if you have this you'll be OK. But you cannot put 410A in an older R22 home central air system.

In the HVACR industry nobody is alarmed because this is all good for future business, but for the unaware general public this is quite a scam. And I feel confident in stating that many investors will become very wealthy at others expense.

Just remember the date, January 1st, 2015. The last 30lb jug of R22 we bought cost around $450.00, the price will climb as we get closer, and will easily top $1000. a jug, and then simply become unavailable.

You had they same situation when they phased out the old R12 that automobile A/C's used, switching to 134A back in 1995. But on a scale of 1 to 10, the effect of that was about a "3" compared to the R22 phaseout being a "10".

A bit of a mess indeed.

( oh and I forgot to mention, the jury is still out on the long term performance of the newer R410A systems. They operate at twice the pressure of 22, so we'll see if those systems will be around in 15 or 20 years or longer ).

God....... I talk too much! :(

I'll retract back just a touch. There are a couple refrigerants that claim to be direct drop-in replacements, "BUT", don't be overly anxious on this because they all have their drawbacks. And of course before you can even put the new blends in your system you have to have the existing gas recovered/reclaimed, and then the system evacuated. Refrigerant "oil reactivity" (your compressor oil) is the achilles heel in all of this.

Ironically the very company that created "Freon", has probably the closest direct replacement for R22. It's called M099, made by none other than Dupont, but I found out that some of the equipment compressor manufacturers are refusing it and stating if someone uses it, they will void their warranty. If you have an old system maybe no biggy, but if you have a newer system, and costly equipment, your taking a gamble.

For a handful of years now, most new installations contain R410A instead of 22, so if you have this you'll be OK. But you cannot put 410A in an older R22 home central air system.

In the HVACR industry nobody is alarmed because this is all good for future business, but for the unaware general public this is quite a scam. And I feel confident in stating that many investors will become very wealthy at others expense.

Just remember the date, January 1st, 2015. The last 30lb jug of R22 we bought cost around $450.00, the price will climb as we get closer, and will easily top $1000. a jug, and then simply become unavailable.

You had they same situation when they phased out the old R12 that automobile A/C's used, switching to 134A back in 1995. But on a scale of 1 to 10, the effect of that was about a "3" compared to the R22 phaseout being a "10".

A bit of a mess indeed.

( oh and I forgot to mention, the jury is still out on the long term performance of the newer R410A systems. They operate at twice the pressure of 22, so we'll see if those systems will be around in 15 or 20 years or longer ).

God....... I talk too much! :(

That's IT!!! I am dumping gold and buying R22!

You may think that is funny...but when R12 was phased out, some years later I found a few cases of R12 I had in my barn. I put it up for sale and was hammered with people wanting it for their older classic and muscle cars. (At the time, retrofits to use the new refrigerant were costly and didn't cool half as well)

I financed some extra racing that year.

Many a truth told in a joke.
Problem though is back then you weren't required to hold a epa refrigerant certification to buy R12. Anybody could get it, just like 134A is now.
Gotta have it for R22.

As odd as it is, the majority of the people I work with from the field (contractors), are more interested in getting customers to upgrade and selling you a new system than being your long term source for the old gas. They need the work to keep their crews busy, and most aren't interested in tying up large amounts of capital money in gas that's just gonna sit on a shelf until needed.

Back