Favorite Vintage racing class

rsim141

PR Member
Guys - I know many of you have been vintage racing for some time - what has turned out to be your favorite class to run in & why?

I like riding the non-current class. My bikes have disc brakes, strong motors and great suspension. Plus I can show up Sunday, ride my moto's and go home.
I tried the evo3 thingy with early 80's bikes and I just don't feel comfortable on them. I'll stick with my '96 RM's.

001.jpg

I've had a lot of fun racing all the stuff I've done. But like Dave said above the AMA Non-Current class is a total blast. I'm really looking forward to that this year on the '92 RM250.

I've had a lot of fun racing all the stuff I've done. But like Dave said above the AMA Non-Current class is a total blast. I'm really looking forward to that this year on the '92 RM250.

3rd that-somebody buy this please

Attachments

• image (3).jpg
    image (3).jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 200
racing vintage mx with the 4"/6" suspension then going to my 81 suzuki with mucho suspenion made my favorite race although I rode only one lap the midohio hare scrambles (part of the 1 race series) in the rain,woohoo googles done by first corner on the mx track fell first corner into the woods,yep that was big fun,and the school I work for sponsered me
the BSA clubs reliabilty run is now my all time favorite thing to do on a vintage bike

Non-current wouldn't be my favorite. No old age group for me and the '96 Husky has been mostly frustrating. I've always enjoyed post-vintage on the '83 YZ 125. But the most fun I've had was during an hour long cross country on a '73 MX 360. So my favorite is Vintage CC or HS.

I enjoy the post vintage classes! My old Penton rides me in the vintage stuff! It goes fast but won't stop or turn very well!!!

Can't say I favor any particular, but have probably had my best races so far in Vintage Sportsman 250 and 40+ class's on my 74 MX.
The Evo class and Non Currents are naturally fast and able machines, but it requires a little more of the rider to make them older bikes go (so it seems to me).

Can't say I favor any particular, but have probably had my best races so far in Vintage Sportsman 250 and 40+ class's on my 74 MX. The Evo class and Non Currents are naturally fast and able machines, but it requires a little more of the rider to make them older bikes go (so it seems to me).
The vintage bikes seem easy to ride just because they have a low CG and turn well. That is as long as you don't try modern bike stuff on one. Cutty's YZ monoshock looks like it would be a blast to ride. Or maybe the way he rides that bike just makes it look so good.

Thanks k01! You are really bragging me up! But I think you are right I'm so short legged I can corner better on my old bikes than on my new bike! I think being short legged makes a person more aggressive because they know they have to keep the bike moving! My theory anyway!

Thanks k01! You are really bragging me up! But I think you are right I'm so short legged I can corner better on my old bikes than on my new bike! I think being short legged makes a person more aggressive because they know they have to keep the bike moving! My theory anyway!

I got to watch you race that bike a lot at the last GP while I was stuck at the bottom waiting for my wonderful Husky to be ready to go again. Even in that mud it sure looked like you were having fun.

I'm not tall but all arms and legs so I normally run a tall seat. I'm perfectly comfortable on my vintage bikes. The vintage bike's low CG and relatively fixed geometry with its' limited travel helps it to turn well.

Would NQ be proud of me to know that I once wicked up the old 360 MX to do some jump passing? I was actually almost really racing a couple of times that day. But I always landed on the rear wheel!

My favorite class is the vintage 125 class. It's just a blast to ride.

Ill second the 74 125.
Back in 1994 I got to race at some of the best tracks ever, Unadilla, Southwick, Road Atlanta, Hollister Hills, Steamboat, Peoria, Muddy Creek, Honda Hills, Putnam Park, just to name a few.
AHRMA was kinda new and working out the bike to be sano and reliable was a bit of a chore.

Attachments

• DSC00001.jpg
    DSC00001.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 164
The most fun I had racing vintage last year was on my dad's 490 in Evo 3. The 96 is a blast too in non current, but that 490 takes the cake.

Ill second the 74 125.
Back in 1994 I got to race at some of the best tracks ever, Unadilla, Southwick, Road Atlanta, Hollister Hills, Steamboat, Peoria, Muddy Creek, Honda Hills, Putnam Park, just to name a few.
AHRMA was kinda new and working out the bike to be sano and reliable was a bit of a chore.
Mike-Back when I started in 98, AHRMA had a great Mid-West series. OH, KY, IL, WI, MI-I had a blast racing 250 sportsman/30 plus expert on my 1973 C'zed 250. Do you know what year that Honda Hills pic was taken ?

Back