It used to be our sport was a little better than most I thought.......

hershey

PR Elite
So the movement into mainstream has ruined what I thought was one of the different things about our sport. Or so I was believing it was, maybe I was wrong all along.

I thought most fans and participants were relatively calm on the drama end of the sport spectrum. I thought that even though adrenaline and racing gets the best of most riders at one point or another it was all left on the track usually. I know there are incidents that arent but unlike the ball and stick type pro sports people always seemed to respect riders for their accomplishments regardless of racing incidents.....true racing incidents.

Last weekend in Indy I was astonished at the amount of hatred for Mike Alessi I heard in the stands around me. Im glad I didnt have my kids with me and need to explain the comments I heard from a few people sitting right by us. True hateful things......anger uncalled for. Its just racing people. I give you that Mike made a bad move in the take out but no worse than we have seen in the past by other more respected riders. Its too bad because Mike has really stepped up his game this year too.

Anyway, On facebook ( the scurge of the earth but fun to read ) today I saw people using racial slurs about Malcolm Stewart and his brother because of the controversial pass Barcia made and Malcolm's poor reaction. They BOTH made poor decisions yet only Malcolm was receiving such hatred. And there was another person who actually said they wished Alessi would break his neck. I called him out on it and was told I was an idiot for doing so and he had every right to wish Alessi was dead.

I dont know how many of you follow Brotocross on the web, the dude posts some funny stuff all in the name of fun. As much as he makes fun of everything motocross here is an article I find to say volumes about this topic.

Click here

I am ashamed by the amount of people who show such anger and hatred in our sport. I know there will always be drama and people like that in any sport....even ours. But it seems to me that unlike our school sports and the angry parents at them mx has seemed more laid back in that respect. How many times do you see at the track people helping competitors ? Not so much in other sports.

Maybe Im getting old and girly sensitive but it sure seems much worse these past couple years than I remember.

People want to watch Maury I mean motocross! This is America. Where you can burn the flag in protest. That's what is great about America. The crowd can say what they want and not be shot! :)

People want to watch Maury I mean motocross! This is America. Where you can burn the flag in protest. That's what is great about America. The crowd can say what they want and not be shot! :)

Yep. Ever seen what they say about Bubba in response to his own posts on Twitter? Yeah, we're not exempt from idots, biggots, or racists. Our sport that it. Especially as it becomes "cool" to the masses. The cool folks think its cool as well as the bottom of the barrel. 'Tis frustrating, but welcome to the big lights I'd have to say. Next thing you know the AMA will be making a rule on the "N" word... Another topic the NFL is going through that let's not lower ourselves to their level. Do we really need a rule? As some have said, that's racist in itself... OK, off topic kinda, but you started Chocolate Bar...

I felt BAD for alessi in indy. Yes he might be an idiot, but man... that was brutal. You can still respect him for his talent on a motorcycle. And its not his fault he grew up to be such an idiot, they should be booing his dad, not him.

What's wrong with booing someone? I won't boo Alessi if you don't cheer for Dungey. Don't be so touchy feely. Racial stuff is crap and should not be voiced publicly.

I was wondering if you were going to talk about this Dave. I was a little taken back by it also.

What's wrong with booing someone? I won't boo Alessi if you don't cheer for Dungey. Don't be so touchy feely. Racial stuff is crap and should not be voiced publicly.

I couldnt care less if people boo him or any other rider. Thats all good. But did you even look at the Brotocross link I posted? If not read it. I heard comments just like that right next to me by a few people. On a friends facebook page there were a couple people posting the same type of stuff. Do people actually hate a rider so much that they wish him to DIE? Or lesser break his neck? All because of his family making some bad decisions or because he made the same stupid block pass move we have seen by EVERY rider on the track at one point or another? And why dont people yell " Cracker" when a white rider gets angry on the track and pushes another rider while getting up from a crash??? And yeah it was stupid of Malcolm to wheelie his bike like that....but how many times have we seen that in the past by other riders? ****RV*****?

My point is only that s**t happens when racing. It always has and always will. It just seems to me that now our sport is in the mainstream the fan base sucks. I hate to see our sport turning into the same drama filled BS you see in football and NASCAR.

Does anyone remember when Erin Bates tried to get the riders on the podium to bitch about passes or track incidents? It was great because they always ignored her and didnt help create the drama. The riders themselves still seem to play that down when asked about it in interviews on tv. I hope they keep that up.

I couldnt care less if people boo him or any other rider. Thats all good. But did you even look at the Brotocross link I posted? If not read it. I heard comments just like that right next to me by a few people. On a friends facebook page there were a couple people posting the same type of stuff. Do people actually hate a rider so much that they wish him to DIE? Or lesser break his neck? All because of his family making some bad decisions or because he made the same stupid block pass move we have seen by EVERY rider on the track at one point or another? And why dont people yell " Cracker" when a white rider gets angry on the track and pushes another rider while getting up from a crash??? And yeah it was stupid of Malcolm to wheelie his bike like that....but how many times have we seen that in the past by other riders? ****RV*****?

My point is only that s**t happens when racing. It always has and always will. It just seems to me that now our sport is in the mainstream the fan base sucks. I hate to see our sport turning into the same drama filled BS you see in football and NASCAR.

Does anyone remember when Erin Bates tried to get the riders on the podium to bitch about passes or track incidents? It was great because they always ignored her and didnt help create the drama. The riders themselves still seem to play that down when asked about it in interviews on tv. I hope they keep that up.

Cabin fever is at a fever pitch this season!!!!!!!! And you have actually been south to ride......Despicable!

A little off topic but. Most of the guys wishing he would get hurt or say nasty things are usually not racers.

I say that but i was not wishing josh grant well on saturday. Not a fan.

I was taught growing up the "HATE" is a four letter word. And I tell my kids the same. It is weak and closed minded individuals.

Cabin fever is at a fever pitch this season!!!!!!!! And you have actually been south to ride......Despicable!

Ive only ridden 6 times since I broke my wrist in october..... :)

A little off topic but. Most of the guys wishing he would get hurt or say nasty things are usually not racers.

I think you are correct. Again its because our sport is becoming so much more main stream.

The idiots are every where in the world for sure. Even today at Daytona, I witnessed an IDIOT 65 father......Guy was a TOTAL jackass. TOTAL jackass. His son looked to be a fairly decent rider, but in the main event, on the second or third lap the kid comes past the mechanics area and the bike it sputtering horrible (power valve). This jackass start cussing up a storm, dropping the F bomb and throwing a temper tantrum for the remainder of the race. He obviously was throwing a fit over something that kid had no control over. Besides that, it is just a freaking race.......and he is supposed to be an adult. Seems like the bigger the race, the bigger the idiots in the mini parents.

H-1, A-2, T-3, E-4...Hate is a four letter word. If you pay for your ticket you have the right to Boo, heckle and yell almost any damn thing you want. As an AMERICAN, the freedom of speech is one of the rights that makes this the greatest country in the world. One of the biggest factors of the messages left on the 800 facebook page was, right after the "issue" with Tickle, he got his face on an interview and said "we are still friends" then plugged his facepage... Really? you think people are only going to leave positive, we love Alessi messages? Come on... take your purse off your should and grow a pair.
I have been wishing death and dismemberment on my ex-wives for years and NOTHING has happened. I wished the ******* in front of me at the McDonald's drive thru that had "two orders" would have exploded when he drank his diet coke with his Big Mac, Did he? I wished my lotto numbers would have been pulled Saturday and I hate the ugly bi@#ch that pulled the wrong numbers and I hoped she would die.... NEITHER happened.
I hate white, black, yellow, red and blue people. I hate Zagnut bars... who eats that crap? I hate Mondays, Tuesdays and any day that not payday. I hate people that write hate messages on pitracer. And most of all I hate that little squiggly line you can see in your vision right after you rub your eyes too hard.
I don't know Mike, Tony, Jeff or Linda Alessi (I assume that his wife's name) and neither do any of the people that posted those messages. Do you really think anyone in that family cares that those drunk, uneducated, inbred, buck tooth, pieces of crap don't like them and are loosing sleep that Ricky from Nowhere, Utah wants him hurt? I doubt it.
I am sure there are several people that read my postings and hate me. but guess what? I truly don't give a crap.

Besides, all this is for not... Didn't you hear Mike? He said he was going to go over and apologies to Tickle as he sat on the line... Last week he crocheted him a seat warmer and all was forgiven.

Here we go Pit...

I felt BAD for alessi in indy. Yes he might be an idiot, but man... that was brutal. You can still respect him for his talent on a motorcycle. And its not his fault he grew up to be such an idiot, they should be booing his dad, not him.

Agree 110%

I know right? I haven't rode at all since November 9th 2013....and have a couple months before I can...well, am supposed to. ;)

The idiots are every where in the world for sure....Seems like the bigger the race, the bigger the idiots in the mini parents.

Yep. Hate to say it, but mini parents are the worst typically. I mean you have to challenge them and sometimes that's tough love, but man...

You all need to lay off the nuts......

Takes one to know one (or a few) I suppose.... :)

BTW- This thread has too much emotion and long winded posts. I was lucky to get through the first couple...then I just read the short one and "skimmed" the large ones so I am no authority here. Not any different than any other of my posts, but just letting know I am making light of the sichiation and poking fun where I can. If I'm the only one laughing, I'm cool with that. :)

Back