POD Knee Braces

I guess everyone can pick their own poison for sure.

I had complete reconstructive surgery on my right shoulder. I know what PAIN is for sure. Worst pain I was ever in, was the first couple days after surgery.

What is a Femur Fracture?

A femur fracture is a break in the thigh bone, or femur. The femur can be fractured in 3 areas: the head/neck of the bone (the upper end, near the pelvis), the main shaft of the bone, or the lower end near the knee. Injury occurs when a high-force blow hits the thigh bone. This can be caused by either the body weight of the person (as in a fall) or a collision with an object (as in a car accident).

The most common causes of femur fracture are:
High-speed trauma, such as a motor vehicle or motorcycle accident, a fall from a high place, or an injury during extreme or contact sports
A preexisting bone disease that weakens the bone, such as a tumor, Paget disease, bone cysts, or osteoporosis

Caution: A fractured femur may be life-threatening. Death can occur following a femur fracture from complications such as blood clots, pneumonia, or infection. Symptoms of life-threatening injury include:
Heavy or uncontrollable bleeding
A bone fragment protruding through the skin
Confusion or loss of consciousness

People above 60 years of age with femur fractures that do not penetrate through the skin have a death rate of 17% and a complication rate of 54%. Only about 25% of those people who suffer a femur fracture return to the same level of activity they had before the injury

I broke my femur and didn't have knee braces at the time. Shortly after that I got prescription CTI's and still tore my ACL while wearing them......twice.
I still wear them as my knees are garbage and I can't ride without them.

I'm of the "you'll miss your knees when they're gone" thought process. I've had 2 surgeries on each one and wish I had good knees still. Broken femurs and lower leg people never seem to have much problem after the injury is healed…… blown out knee people always have problems. I wear CTI's and have them rebuilt every few years and won't think about riding without them now. Never broke a leg, but wish my knees still worked.

Can you die from a broken knee?

Can die from anything. A hangnail I figure if the conditions are right...well, wrong I guess. ;)

I had complete reconstructive surgery on my right shoulder. I know what PAIN is for sure. Worst pain I was ever in, was the first couple days after surgery.

Yes! Shoulder surgery sucks so bad. They give you that pain block of which you feel nothing the day of surgery, end up thinging all is OK, maybe do a little too much and WHAM!, the pain block wears off and lets you have it. I've never been such a pain pill popping freak in my life. Took everything the doc said I could. Shoulder brace? Being funny. No such thing. :)

Caution: A fractured femur may be life-threatening. Death can occur following a femur fracture from complications such as blood clots, pneumonia, or infection. Symptoms of life-threatening injury include:

People above 60 years of age with femur fractures that do not penetrate through the skin have a death rate of 17% and a complication rate of 54%. Only about 25% of those people who suffer a femur fracture return to the same level of activity they had before the injury

I snapped mine in half in the mid section at Dayton Amatuer AX in 2004. X-ray showed it in two pretty distinctive pieces on either side of my thigh. Could have made a wrong move and ruptured the artery that runs right along side the femur and it would have been curtains more than likely, but for some unknown reason, it did not, I am still here, and have no issues ever releated to my femur injury. Just lucky I guess. ???

I'm of the "you'll miss your knees when they're gone" thought process. I've had 2 surgeries on each one and wish I had good knees still. Broken femurs and lower leg people never seem to have much problem after the injury is healed…… blown out knee people always have problems. I wear CTI's and have them rebuilt every few years and won't think about riding without them now. Never broke a leg, but wish my knees still worked.

Yep. ;)

At 17 my knees were so bad that I couldn't lift my knees above my waist after race day. Starts wearing knee braces they stills see bad. But I took a solid break from ridig during college and now my knees are back to being awesome. I still wear knee braces and man am I thankful. Ill be protecting these bastards for life. Joints hurt.

With all that auto correct above your think I never went to college. I'm not fixing it. iPhones are a pain in my butt. You get the gist.

What is a Femur Fracture?

A femur fracture is a break in the thigh bone, or femur. The femur can be fractured in 3 areas: the head/neck of the bone (the upper end, near the pelvis), the main shaft of the bone, or the lower end near the knee. Injury occurs when a high-force blow hits the thigh bone. This can be caused by either the body weight of the person (as in a fall) or a collision with an object (as in a car accident).

The most common causes of femur fracture are:
High-speed trauma, such as a motor vehicle or motorcycle accident, a fall from a high place, or an injury during extreme or contact sports
A preexisting bone disease that weakens the bone, such as a tumor, Paget disease, bone cysts, or osteoporosis

Tnx for help

So I ordered evs axis sport knee braces Monday. I kept going back in forth between the sport and the pro model. I believe the only difference is the pro model has an aluminum and carbon fiber frame. After reading the above posts I decided to call them and get their opinion. The rider support rep was very helpful and told me he gets any brace he wants for free and he uses the axis sport. Seems he broke his femur and feels the carbon models are to rigid. He also told me the plastic on the sport models form to your leg better and provide a better fit. Two cents.

Pod responded to my email with severe apologies and have shipped me out replacement straps that are new, improved and more durable.

It's great when companies write back to customers with complaints with anything but an automated message. There was no automated message from PODmx.

Great customer service model.

Support@podactive.com

I would rather have a broken femur and be out a few months then to trash my knees!

Wait til you snap your femur and hit the femoral artery (I was 2cm away from mine when I broke my leg at BC) , then tell me you'd rather break a femur over trashing a knee.

I would rather do neither, but can't since I've done both. Two trashed knees give me trouble daily. Rod in right femur nada. I'm kinda with MX193, but understand Romanyak. Been there as well and was lucky also. Tough call and different for all. Broken femur definitely the worst initially...by far.

Reactions: TBO
Wait til you snap your femur and hit the femoral artery (I was 2cm away from mine when I broke my leg at BC) , then tell me you'd rather break a femur over trashing a knee.

Absolutely. That's why I choose to wear less ridgid k300 knee braces. I don't like the k700carbon. I like a little flex with my impacts.

And anytime your snapping the femur you're at risk for the femoral artery. Luckily for you though its incredibly pliable.

Reactions: TBO
Back