Which bikes a deal?

I did it way back when.
Also did it on a '99 Husaberg. That bike and my fat ass is a lot of mass for that long jump. Had I came up short it would have started an earth quake that could be felt in Cincinnati.

btw, I seen a 500af in Michigan for 5500. Forget what city but it looked nice. Those Frankenbikes scare me. Not like the 500 was a great handling machine to begin with. Having Jim Bob working in his garage merging two bike into one would equate into a level 10 butt pucker on all big jumps.
I would still like to have one just for the cool factor.

Yeah, I'd like one someday. Of course it would have to be a KX500AF. Service Honda made them new for about $12k. Not sure what they are going for these days if they are still making them. There was an outfit in KY that stuffed a 1990's KX500 blueprinted motor into a 2004 KX250 smoker frame. Looked pretty slick. If I would have had $4500, it would have been mine...

This was the place: http://www.moto-recyclers.net/servlet/StoreFront Dude who did machine work looked like he knew what he was doing...

I have a 2014 YZ460. I like the older motor better. New one is hard to get off the line well. It needs one of those devices like kawi has to change the ignition for the start.

The bike is great otherwise. I say this about the start because I used to ALWAYS get the Hollie on the 2010-2013 bikes, but so far with this bike , nada thing. Not even close.

I think it'd a clutch actuating thing. I myself am going to remove one of my older bikes clutch and try it.

New bike, even with mapping, seems to be a light switch for a clutch. Many people feel the same about the clutch

I heard 14 yz 250f don't have the front push that plague the brand. 450 still has it outta the crate. But can be resolved with bike setup.

I have the radiator relocation kids and don't notice any difference.

The 450 and 250 identical chassis. The difference between the two bikes is a rotating inertia of a 450 being greater than the 250.

I put a linkage on mine its perfect turns perfect inside tight outside where ever. I couldn't ask for more. like I said before everyone raves about how good the rmz turns. Imo my Yamaha turns betters handles better suspension feels better. I personally wouldn't waste money on radiator lowering kit or engine relocation. If you buy it I would ride it and see what you think, and then go from there. Don't listen to all the bs. You wanted a husky and I couldn't tell you the last time ive seen one of those on a mx track.

I put a linkage on mine its perfect turns perfect inside tight outside where ever. I couldn't ask for more. like I said before everyone raves about how good the rmz turns. Imo my Yamaha turns betters handles better suspension feels better. I personally wouldn't waste money on radiator lowering kit or engine relocation. If you buy it I would ride it and see what you think, and then go from there. Don't listen to all the bs. You wanted a husky and I couldn't tell you the last time ive seen one of those on a mx track.

Ummm since you haven't seen one, here is what they look like. Don't mean to hijack the thread Meister, hope you get something soon!

010.jpg

Right on Dave. I have not seen you at the track. Totally not knocking them, just saying that if he would consider one with no one really having one are people saying how great they are I don't see what the concern would be with buying a Yamaha. I totally believe that they are all so good, and don't see how people knock bikes without owning one or riding one.

Details? Will I need an engine or radiator relocation kit? Different front tire?

Sorry if I misunderstood. I thought this guy wanted info on a 2014 and not a 2013 Yamaha 450.

There is NO engine relocation kit for a 2024 Yamaha 450. That was for 2010-2013 450 Yamadogs.

I have both. Even right know, I have both. The suspension is good out of the box. The steering is similar, which some think is an acquired taste. I personally think they steer very well, as good as a Suzuki, but I"m in the minority here. Suzuki riders have riden my bike, and wondered how I got it to turn well. It is setup, as you may have guessed.

You can't use the 2010 radiator lowering kit on the 2014. 2014 needs extra hardware. I had two kits and made one for my 2014. Moving 4 lbs one inch lower doesn't much. I used it cause I had them from Dubach .

The new motor is good, but I cannot get it to come off the gate. Seems to have to much power. That is why I wish it had a start button for the ignition, ALa Kawasaki .

The engine is much easier to change oil. One plug. Stock tires are good, but I run Stones when they wore.

Be very careful in filling the bike with gas. Mucho dirt gets down between seat and gas cap. Sometimes it has to be power washed to fill. It sucks. If your not careful, dirt can and will foul the injection system.

Some guys are using the forward holes in the stock triple clamps to move the bars forward, just like in years past, to get better bite. In this position, I don't like the ergos , so I do stock.

Moving the bars forward gives you more bite on the front, but the same can be achieved running a longer chain/ wheelbase

Air filter noise is less this year

Hope this helps

Greg

I have a Ride Engineering linkage on mine, and it handles fine. Don't listen to the magazines, or some guy named Bubba. What has any Bubba ever known about anything any way.

Like Tyler said, I was considering a husky lol..

I picked up the yam Friday Afternoon.. rode the bike around kames parking lot and knew I at least needed a higher bar. Put on some pro taper kdub bends and move the bar mounts to the front hole but in the reward position.. felt comfy to me.. also the bike felt tall and I'm around 6ft. The forks were flush with the top clamp so I scooted them up in the forks to be even with the line a little down the fork..

Loaded up today and headed for Malvern.. this bike has some serious sack.. my rmz had a high compression piston and a pipe and my yz is night and day faster.. suspension worked decent 100% stock, not even a sag adjustment lol.. it is bouncy in the rough stuff but handled all 245 of myself in most situations. I bottomed twice tonight. Once was over shooting the triple into the rollers and I landed dead nuts on top of the quad.. and once overshooting the table to table by 25 ft lol.. never did that table to table on the rmz, kinda cuz my wheels were all crooked and I though they might explode but I hit it the 4th lap today. Aside from the fact I couldn't hold on for more than a lap and a half from not riding for 7 month, I thought the bike was a good choice and will be even better with a little tuning..

PS, I didn't get either hole shot tonight.. could be from not riding or could be the 907 curse.. lol

Berkheimer looked good on the kaw but I was behind him when he came up about a foot short on the table to table, couldn't have felt good.. lol

LOL yeah wasnt a good time but I was over shooting it and had Evertt in front of me didnt wanna land on him so I decided to let off a little.....lol I let off a little to much haha. After that though I was solid. Was my goal for the day to do table table so second lap smacked it. Grubbs was telling me about how you were trying to talk him into going off it together and he didnt have a rear break lol. Was a good night. Kawi feels great. Glad to hear you like your 14YZ

Like Tyler said, I was considering a husky lol..

I picked up the yam Friday Afternoon.. rode the bike around kames parking lot and knew I at least needed a higher bar. Put on some pro taper kdub bends and move the bar mounts to the front hole but in the reward position.. felt comfy to me.. also the bike felt tall and I'm around 6ft. The forks were flush with the top clamp so I scooted them up in the forks to be even with the line a little down the fork..

Loaded up today and headed for Malvern.. this bike has some serious sack.. my rmz had a high compression piston and a pipe and my yz is night and day faster.. suspension worked decent 100% stock, not even a sag adjustment lol.. it is bouncy in the rough stuff but handled all 245 of myself in most situations. I bottomed twice tonight. Once was over shooting the triple into the rollers and I landed dead nuts on top of the quad.. and once overshooting the table to table by 25 ft lol.. never did that table to table on the rmz, kinda cuz my wheels were all crooked and I though they might explode but I hit it the 4th lap today. Aside from the fact I couldn't hold on for more than a lap and a half from not riding for 7 month, I thought the bike was a good choice and will be even better with a little tuning..

PS, I didn't get either hole shot tonight.. could be from not riding or could be the 907 curse.. lol

Berkheimer looked good on the kaw but I was behind him when he came up about a foot short on the table to table, couldn't have felt good.. lol

Yeah, I wasn't sure if you were gonna go for it or not, so I hesitated a little.. Once I realized you were going for it I just pinned it and I made it ok.. I was dead tired by that time (like the 2nd lap lol) and was just having fun.. Heard ya hootin` when ya were goin by me lol.. I seen grubbs fell in the whoops and kinda held off to make sure he was getting up ok.. Once I realized he did I knew we`d finish the race together so I tried to get him to go for it. Its one of those jumps that takes no brains and ya just gotta hold it pinned.. Nothin to it.. lol I never did see a white flag, so I thought he had one more shot at it, but didn't realize his brake pedal was broken off.. He`ll do it next time.. Bet ya.. lol Now my goal is to be able to throw a little whippage on the table to table.. oh, and actually be able to ride more than 2 laps without dying..

haha yeah I did it first time yesterday second lap in practice was basically my goal for the day haha your right its just hold on and rip it your golden. Grubbs said he has to do it now last night. I was exhausted with 6 laps about lap 4th lap I was screaming for the white flag. lol Yeah I was doin a little hootin out there lmao.

Back