Vintage Days 1st call on tickets!

First time going to Vintage Days. Can someone fill me in on the RV pass. We plan on camping all weekend. Thanks !

if you have a motorhome you need an RV pass which is $20 more than "tent" camping which is what we did with my old dodge van until this year,I'm camping in the campgrounds but there is also RV camping around the track which I know that ahrma361 and mark from 4WS have done in the past and they would know more about that than me

The RV pass gets your camper in the campground or in any site around the track for the weekend , you still have to pay for admission. Primitive camping, no hookups. The campground does have decent showers, say my kids, I shower in the camper. There is a place to buy coffee and stuff to eat that opens early, like 6 or 7 am. Pizza guys circulate pretty much all day and night till 2 or 3 in the morning. Lots of fun and all sorts of hi-jinks. It's the best way to experience Vintage Days. I had to camp in a different spot than I normally do last year and ended up next to a couple guys that I never did see sober, even first thing in the morning. They were sort of fun to watch and were occasionally a pain in the ass like most perpetually drunk people. There's also a family campground that's pretty quiet if you're so inclined. The main campground is closest to the motocross track. BRING RAIN GEAR (can't stress this enough) no matter what the forecast, because it will storm a damn flood at least one day, guaranteed, and it'll also be HOTTER that the hinges on hell's gates. Bring pit bikes or a golf cart or something unless you like to walk miles and miles everyday. They frown on quads, at least they did. They say the bikes have to be street legal and have a plate but I've never seen them enforce it unless you're doing something ignorant. Have fun, and see you there!

Kevin

I hope they have a decent MX track this year. The last couple of years have sucked, way too narrow and tight. Soon as you get going another tight corner.....ugh. Still a fantastic weekend with lots to see and do.

A short while ago, I got an email, I think it was from Mid-Ohio, asking to take a survey on last years track. I assume you guys got this as well?
Did anybody respond?

When I finally got around to opening the email to respond it stated tha the survey was now closed.

Last edited:
Mike I never got that email, probably a good thing hahaha. Mid-Ohio is still a great time regardless if the MX track stinks or not.

Maybe someone could email the Log Road guys, find out if they are doing the track work again. Maybe get them to post on here for a little feedback, updates and plans.

Wonder if they will run it counterclockwise this year?
Track rutted up really well last year, but yea the tight turns got a little repetitive.

I emailed the Log Road guys asking about it, I'll post what they have to say. Maybe we can get them to open it up some.

Did I read that you put Works shocks on your MX, Mike?

Did I read that you put Works shocks on your MX, Mike?

Thanks Kevin for emailing Log Road.

Yea, How do you like them? Works sells these shocks with black springs, which I now wish I had. But I was just hoping to get them delivered and installed before the first vintage race, so when he asked what color I wanted, I simply told him whichever was fastest to get. He said we better stick with the blue/white.

Bike photos also updated with Circle F pipe I installed last summer.
Poor Tom's get'n the "Works-Bike" treatment.
MXworks-1.jpg

MXworks-2.jpg

MXworks-3.jpg

I have Redwing Hammerheads on my 360. Have you ridden it with the Works on it? I've been hoping someone could tell me if the Works shocks were actually worth doing with only 4 inches of travel. I'm on the fence about it, although I do have Racetech emulators in the forks. I think the emulators are some of the best money you can spend on your vintage suspension. Did the Circle F pipe wake it up any? I put an NOS Torque Engineering pipe on mine and it seems to work pretty good.

MX360 2012 VMD 5 crop.jpg

VMD 2012

MX360 after.JPG

After the race last year. Piston melted and skirt broken. Gawd, what a mess. Can't wait for this year!!!!

Kevin

13_AMA_VMD_MX1_078-X3.jpg
I went back and forth and round and round on the shocks question. Even though it's sometimes easy for me to dole out a wadd for a bike, I still struggle with big cash outlays for parts. But after reading a bunch of feedback from other vintage racers, the overall consenses was that if the bike is to ridden hard and raced aggressively, then rebuildable higher end shocks are a must.

At Smith Rd AHRMA event last June, I got into some pretty good battles on the track and pushed the bike as hard as I could. I blew left front fork seal, blew out right rear shock, and lost two motor mount bolts. My mind was made up at that point where I needed to go.

So, after working some more overtime I got on the horn with Works to place my order. Two issues developed from this. First was he was "mis-quoting" me an incorrect price of over $700. which put me into cardiac arrest. Upon gathering myself up off of my office floor, I proceeded with the order and that's when he told me it would be 6 weeks delivery. I was screwed. Mid-Ohio was in 3-1/2 weeks. So I flushed the order, ebayed up a set of Hammerheads. But the plan was to clean them back up over the winter and resell them and get the Works shocks. I'm trying to recall but final delivered price for the Works units were like $535. I'm thinking. ( I'll have top double check that when I get off work ).

I haven't rode the works units yet, so not sure what to expect. My order specification was for 200LB rider, so they do feel a little stiff to me right now. But as you know these bikes are heavy as hell, and I do like getting air over the jumps, and even though I only weigh around 170, I believe the shocks needed to be sprung heavy for hard landings.

The Vintage Days mud last year was brutal. My bike looked as bad as yours.

Oh yea, almost forgot.... The pipe.
Yea, the Circle-F made a huge difference. Felt like it openned up and enhanced the entire power range from bottom to top. And sounds bad as hell!

NQ , is that the stock length on those shocks or did you get them a bit longer to change the bike's attitude and handling ( perfectly legal in AHRMA as long as travel remains the same 4 in. ) ? Wish I had gotten longer ones on my Husky Mag . How much " rider sag " are you getting ? they may feel a bit stiff at first but let them " wear in " some before drawing all conclusions . It can be hit or miss if the shocks work perfectly for you as sent from Works , due to so many variables . Hope yours are right for you . I was not so lucky and had to do a lot of spring changing to get ones that were right and eventually had them revalved to tame the rebound down to match the spring combo . Mark Weaver ( think his first name was Mark ) who ran a small shop near Zanesville did a great job of revalving/rebuilding my Works shocks . I believe he was involved with running the old Muskingum MX track too but I'm not real sure if he is still in business .

I've always heard a lot of newer vintage racers debating whether the $$$ for good shocks is really worth it for only 4 inches of travel . My school of thought is that those are the most important 4 inches you have ( We..e..e..ll , maybe the 2nd most important ) . Ride a dialed in bike and I bet you'll agree . Maicos were always noted for their handling and I've noticed that a lot of fast racers are on Bultacos . I think a lot of the reason for that is those bikes' smoother/ milder power delivery compared to the Japanese , reed valved motors and even my Mag . The milder " hit " doesn't seem to load and stress the rear suspension as much and gets power to the ground better without jacking the rear all over the place . Noticed this with the guy on the Bultaco you were chasing at the Smith Road race last year .

Anyway just my $.02 , and wish you well on the new shocks .

Mike, Here's what I did with the pipe on my KX:
Childress Pipe 1a.JPG

I had it plated at Akron Plating with nickle chrome, I think it was $65 cash. It's the same plating that Pro Circuit uses on their pipes. I looked for a clear plating/coating because I like the look of the raw steel pipe but couldn't find anything. I use these guys to replate all my hardware with zinc, they do nice work.

We found a crack on the MX jug when we took it apart so I found another wrung out cylinder that I ported an am putting an standard 82mm IT400 piston in. I have to trim 3mm or so off the bottom of the piston and figure out the how to rework the head but it'll work. This will give me 4 more bores on the jug then I'll go to an 85mm IT425 piston and get another 4. The key to all this is getting the head right. I better get hustling if I want to get some seat time before VMD. It's usually completely normal that we get them done the week before and get one practice in at Smith Road, but this year the KX is ready to go and has already been out.

Did Wicked Tough have your tank graphics?

Kevin

NQ , is that the stock length on those shocks or did you get them a bit longer to change the bike's attitude and handling ( perfectly legal in AHRMA as long as travel remains the same 4 in. ) ? Wish I had gotten longer ones on my Husky Mag . How much " rider sag " are you getting ?

The thermaflows measured like 13", and the guy from Works stated we'd be OK on the MX250 stretching it out to 14" on the Works units, so that's what we went with. He urged caution on not going too much because changing swingarm angle can have adverse effects.

I read through the literature that came with the shocks on "set up", but the paperwork was very general in that it applied to streetbikes as well. Knowing that I wouldn't get a good read on anything until I rode the bike I just ran the rings down to stiffin them up a bit, measured to make sure they were the same and left it at that. My suspicion is that once I get the bike rolling and put the shocks to work, I'll have to make adjustments until the sweet spot reveals itself, and that's where they'll likely remain, regardless of sag. And of course that will depend on track design and conditions too. 4" doesn't give a lot of leaway for tuning. I just don't want to be pounding the bike apart landing hard from jumps.

Did Wicked Tough have your tank graphics?

That's good info on the plating work. Most of all like the price.

I haven't looked up the tank decals yet. I have a whole list of crap I need to get ordered online, just need to get time to do it. It did help with the Action Sports event getting rescheduled. Thanks again for the info.

A whole lot more expansion in that pipe compared to original stock unit. Probably makes that KX a screamer eh? Was that pipe on it when DMX153 raced the bike at Mid-Ohio?

No, it wasn't on the bike when Dave raced it. I don't know if I'd call it better, just different. With the stock pipe it made good power everywhere, now it makes a more power on top but gave up some down low. You have to ride it differently.

Got an email back from Jeff Beerbower and he says they're going to be doing the track again this year at Mid-Ohio. They still have to get the contract signed, though.

Kevin

Back