Stuck in a rut

GeorgiePorgie

PR Founding Father
I was thinking same thing Hershey.

Why don't you start practice at 9am sharp on Saturdays. Race the quads. There aren't many anyways. You can stagger some classes. You'll be done with quad racing by 1-2pm at the latest. Then hold open practice from 2p- 7p or dark or whatever. Sunday morning race the bikes. If you're already having practice Saturday the track is going to be prepped. Race the quads then. And they'll have the cream of the crop because they'll be done early on Saturday and can either go home mow the lawn and enjoy their Sunday or hit a CRA race somewhere.

Reactions: TBO
I was thinking same thing...quads race saturday morning with open practice immediately following. Though, that would be 2 days of flaggers/staff/medical....but, you may be able to throw free open practice to any bikers that want to come early and help with the quad race, or something like that...

SCHAFFERNOCKER

PR Addict
People complain about a 10 hour day at the track and having to watch six quad motos and you guys think a 24 hour race would be the hot ticket?!!? lol. Might as well try GP's again...

John250

PR Founding Father
2 day format like your qualifier. Quads, 50's 65's 80's Schoolboy 125 class. Everything else on Sunday, Of coarse this is up to you on classes run on a given day, BUT. Your laps could double then people will get what they pay for. Then this whole Quad, Bike Crying thing will Hopefully stop. You get 8 laps of race time on quality tracks. It's a win-win situation..

Problem with this is guys like me. I have a son that races, along with me. So I cant be at a track two days in a row all the time. Plus the extra expense of going two days. Just does not work.

007DAD

PR Member
Problem with this is guys like me. I have a son that races, along with me. So I cant be at a track two days in a row all the time. Plus the extra expense of going two days. Just does not work.

The LLQS run the mods on Sunday and that includes 65/85 riders no fiddys...the classes I think that would be best for the sat mix would be all beginners,trail,50 4 to 6 and the oil injected lil dudes....I would think the 7-8 class would want to run sun because a lot also ride the 7-9 65 class. You can't add to many race classes on sat because your still going to have bike practice.

This plan everyone has basically come up with could get real racie for both days...let's start this weekend! Ok to soon...how about the battle races?

GeorgiePorgie

PR Founding Father
When I raced 50s we always were excited to race after the quads! Race the little guys with the quads. Jr, beginner peewee. Sr peewee with bike days because some race sr peewee and 65cc.

This only if you're gonna try the "race quads before open practice day" idea.

ck1racerx

PR Addict
One race, ONE DAY. If we are trying to grow the sport, telling a newbie that he has to come back tomorrow to race a second moto or even a second class will scare them off. And people like John and myself do not have the time and or desire to spend 2 days at a race that can be done correctly in 8 hours.
No way to avoid the obvious, would you rather have 42 classes with 10 riders, run 3 laps and be at the track for 17 hours. OR. 10 classes with 42 riders each, run 2 15 min motos and be done by 6? (Yes, I know I have kicked this dead horse a bunch)

Personally, I don't understand how or why Saturday became a day of practice? Race on Saturday, then... crazy idea... race again on Sunday.

John250

PR Founding Father
One race, ONE DAY. If we are trying to grow the sport, telling a newbie that he has to come back tomorrow to race a second moto or even a second class will scare them off. And people like John and myself do not have the time and or desire to spend 2 days at a race that can be done correctly in 8 hours.
No way to avoid the obvious, would you rather have 42 classes with 10 riders, run 3 laps and be at the track for 17 hours. OR. 10 classes with 42 riders each, run 2 15 min motos and be done by 6? (Yes, I know I have kicked this dead horse a bunch)

Personally, I don't understand how or why Saturday became a day of practice? Race on Saturday, then... crazy idea... race again on Sunday.

I used to love Saturday night races. Get there about 3pm, race at 530. It would give me Saturday morning to do some things, then we would have Sundays to do something else. With a busy family like mine, that schedules would work out awesome for me. I know Malvern races Saturday nights (but it is 3:30 from my house). Put some lights in.......NOTHING better than night racing in the HOT summer time.

Knox, remember how many people would race Dirt Country back in the day on a Saturday night? They used to get some great crowds in the 80s and early 90s.

ck1racerx

PR Addict
250 to 350 riders every Saturday nite in just 15 classes. Not to mention they also ran about 17 races a year.
Sure, things change. But it worked before.
If your rebound on the rear shock to fast, you don't change the gearing or the forks to correct it. Set the rebound back to the OEM specs and adjust the other way

fmxpaul

PR Addict
If Chilitown had 371 racers on the same day that there was an open practice at Briarcliffe, that had 200 riders, it seems that the sport is doing fine from an "in general" perspective. The OMA guys and tracks are basically carrying the torch for Motocross in Ohio (along with CRA) and while suggestions are helpful, it would seem they're doing all the right things.

Personally- the main reason that I race Delta several times a year, is that I can leave home on Saturday about 3pm and I am done with 2 classes and back home in my own garage having a beer by 12:30. Leaves Sunday open for whatever.
I don't mind spending $200 to race but the whole "get up at 4:30-5:00 AM drive for two or more hours and then sit all day, for an on average one hour of time on my bike's hour meter" does not appeal to me at all.

Same with those "Open practice" sessions. Ride for 10-15 minutes, sit for 45-50 minutes and after a four hour day, you've still only ridden your bike for about an hour or LESS. Not doing that anymore, not worth it.

That's why we are hauling half way across PA to ride Breezewood proving grounds. They have 4 tracks to keep riders spread out and there's no "sit and wait" class practice. Like Beans- on and off the track as much as you want. Hooray!

Is Breezewood worth it? Is Breezwood any better than anywhere else? No idea. Never been there, but I'd rather gamble on something new than sit at a track staring at my bike instead of riding it. Keep up the good work District X. One of these days I might drag my ass out to one of your races.

mikeschaefer

PR Member
Problem with this is guys like me. I have a son that races, along with me. So I cant be at a track two days in a row all the time. Plus the extra expense of going two days. Just does not work.[/QUOTE]
Well, you will not be racing any Loretta Lynn Quali's then. That's how it's done my friend...You were looking for a room for the weekend a day or so ago. Now you can't make it work?

John250

PR Founding Father
If it were a LL qualifier I can understand that, I am just referring to local races. Yeah, I checked for rooms earlier in the week, were all booked up. I was hoping by calling all them today, I could find one room that had been cancelled or something at one of the 5 locations I called.

dwinship463

PR Member
Team race is a good idea! Dade City motocross in FL does one every memorial day weekend to benefit veterans. Dade City's race is only 12 hours and they have lights for the track at night so no lighting equipment is needed for bikes or helmets. even an 8 hour team race could work. 4 guys, with one transponder, most laps wins. no other rules, anyone can ride as long as they want or as little as they want just everyone on a team has to ride at least one lap, no limit to bikes either. One year they had tim ferry and the keylon brothers as a team and evan ferry as #4 on his pw50. 3 pros and a kid vs 4 joes.

Double D

PR Founding Father
Lose the quads all together. There is a reason My bucket lister, LL chasing, national track loving butt races everywhere there are no quads.

I will do some OMA this year cuz of Nick in the 50cc class, but I try to stay far far away from 13 hour days with quads.
I always race 3 classes, 2 min., with my boy now. that will be 3 classes.
If I show up at an OMA race, I will account for 15% of the 20 quads they get.

There are a couple others I could bring along that feel the same way.
Lose the quads.....

mooch

PR Elite
Guess it must've be hard on track staff, but the Honda Hills Saturday split program was great in my opinion.

Ride vet in the afternoon and be done in a few hours, or hang around and do some night racing too.