Moto Vans

I just bought a Nissan pickup with the 4liter V-6 (VQ40DE) on the recommendation
of a guy that works for the dealer. "Motor should last forever with a little care" was his
comment.

Buy american. Does not matter if it is built in usa. Must be american company. The ripple effect is huge. Ford has a great vehicle with the eco boost engine.

If I was buying brand new, I would totally agree with you. Unfortunately for me, there's no way I'm going to afford a brand new vehicle (should have clarified). I've been looking at used ones in the 10-15k range. I can get a lower mileage Chevy Express in the same price range, but I'm looking down the road at repairs. I think this Nissan might be a little easier to work on for me.

I just bought a Nissan pickup with the 4liter V-6 (VQ40DE) on the recommendation
of a guy that works for the dealer. "Motor should last forever with a little care" was his
comment.

That's the same info I keep getting.

Happy to see you guys added to this topic. I have been beating around the idea of a new moto van since fall and as typical I can not pull the trigger. Just as I am 100% sure I know what I want, I change my mind. Van? truck? sprinter? motorhome? yeah I am the worst at making a decision on a vehicle. Each have pro's and con's. But I am trying to keep the total number of titled vehicles to a minimum at the Knox compound. Van is great for racing but you look like a pedophile dropping your kids off at school. Truck fixes that issue but then you cant lock your stuff up at night. Sprinter has the biggest cool factor but then again it does not exactly keep the "professional" look when you take customers out to lunch. Motorhome would make the ball and chain happy since she could just stay in the A/C while we are at the track. BUT not having one keeps her at home which is a HUGE bonus.
I just need to run across a van that is too good of a deal to pass up. With the boy on the little bikes I am for sure not going to build a wall inside but it does make it look nice. Forget who it was that posted pix of the sprinter with the bed mounted up high but if I was only looking for something to take to the track, that would be the answer.
I agree with DD, buy American. Even if it is used it still makes a difference. Every manufacture claims they will run forever with proper maint. But I have seen countless examples of Ford, GM and Dodge vans with 250,000 or more miles still going strong. Will you get that with a Nissan? Maybe. but you will only know by driving a Nissan that far. And do you really want to be seen in a Dotson for that long? 'Mercian

My van just turned six figures. Hoping to get triple that number if the salt doesn't eat it away.

Dave hand has a nice van. It's fairly old too. But that thing is sweet. Take care of em and I guess they last forever !

Then again when I worked at ups those sprinter vans took abuse. Heavy abuse. And had 7-800,000 miles on them by the time they were scrapped.

Im partial to Sprinters but if you dont like solving weird problems and turning wrenches.. probably not a good choice. I don't care where it is made as long as it suits my needs.

That's the same info I keep getting.

Late model vehicles from American companies will do every bit as good or better than the foreign stuff. I have 4 Ford vans with 250K miles. I bad motor because an employee didnt check the oil and it ran dry, other than that general stuff. I have an 04 explorer with 160k. I had a 99 chevy 4x4 truck I traded in with 170k and never had an issue. I hate when people say foreign is better.

I don't think foreign is better at all. I'm a Chevy Express guy. The only reason I'm considering the Nissan is because the engine is sitting in it just like a truck, so I can get in there and change an alternator, water pump, belt, etc. without dedicating a week to working on it. I mean, chances are I will stick with what I know and get a Chevy or a Ford. I'm just tossing the idea around of the Nissan for the maintenance part of things. Similar to Bill480, I don't care what it is as long as it performs the way I need it to, especially when buying used.

I don't think foreign is better at all. I'm a Chevy Express guy. The only reason I'm considering the Nissan is because the engine is sitting in it just like a truck, so I can get in there and change an alternator, water pump, belt, etc. without dedicating a week to working on it. I mean, chances are I will stick with what I know and get a Chevy or a Ford. I'm just tossing the idea around of the Nissan for the maintenance part of things. Similar to Bill480, I don't care what it is as long as it performs the way I need it to, especially when buying used.

I like the attempt to turn this thread into a Foreign vs. Domestic debate thread lol.. thread starter didn't ask, nobody cares.

2015-nissan-nv%20passenger-engine_10403_050_640x480.jpg

VS

engine.jpg

I've had a ford 7.3 diesel e450.. talk about fun to work on! At least the dog house gets your access to things your normally would have to climb on top to get to.

The Nissan interior looks very much more car-like as well.. comfy. No clue about the reliability though, I'd try to find a nissan (van) forum and start reading.

Not really American vs. Foreign. I do like the idea that Dotson is using to make it easier to work on, and its not the worst looking van I've seen. I'm just saying that the Ford van (or Chevy, dodge) are proven to be really good moto vans so I would go with the that. My wife drives a flipp'n Honda van and it runs great but it for sure is not built for this fat American. I think the drivers seat was designed by some 5 foot 3 116 lb. little dude. Or they just took an aluminum fold up lawn chair and put leather on it. Ford keeps coming out with those high end trucks like the King Ranch. I wish they had a Lazy boy model. Recliner seats with a built in beer koozie.

21982c37eeb440e86e2dbb8bdb2c00f7.jpg

Just listed this afternoon on Craigslist. $5,000
99 4x4 F250. 5.4 triton

Sent from my iPhone using PitRacer mobile app

Last edited:
Our so called American 2012 camaro has all kinds of foriegn Stickers. Designed in USA assembled in Canada, and the wiring has a lot of made in China stickers wrapped on them. Pop the hood and there's a diverse amount of countries listed on small parts and pieces. Hmm.... America!! Yea!

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/10/06/is-your-car-really-american/

So the final msrp is coming back to the American company In the American economy. Or is it ? Is the camaros cash hidden in Mexico or Canada? And all those small parts and pieces, bells and whistles, are those not being paid to other countries from America ? Wish I knew the exact percentage of USA built parts vs what are actually in them.

Well, I've had my van for almost two years now and I'm thinking about making a change. I'm looking into the Nissan NV1500 or NV2500. They are built on their truck chassis in Canton, MS. The reason I'm leaning toward one of them is that I can actually work on them. The motor is placed exactly like it is in the truck, so it is not buried up in the body of the van. The belts and components are easy to get to. I can do most repairs on my Express, but some of them are just too time consuming.

So, has anyone gotten one of these yet or seen someone who had one? The half tons have the 4.0L V6 that they've used forever. They are supposedly bullet proof. I don't know though, I'm not a Nissan guy. I'm not a foreign vehicle guy altogether, but I'm willing to bend the rules. Just looking for some info if anyone has any.

2011-nissan-nvs-photo-334829-s-986x603.jpg
We have a NV2500 at work for our delivery van. I have spent quite some time on the road in it. We had a long string of Dodge vans prior to getting this. Overall this is a good van and I would definitly look at the model if i was in the market

Pros:
1.Powerful - Engine seems very powerful and has no prob getting out its own way…it runs awesome best running, most powerful van I've ever driven
2. The cargo area is roomy and has some decent looking panels inside
3.Reliability - We have not had to put any $$$ in it in almost 3 years of everyday use by people who could really care less about taking care of it.
4. Driver seat is decently comfy although could be improved
5. Engine location(easy to get to/work on)
6. Looks good…I like the look of it myself
7. I like the way the rear doors latch and unlatch to allow extra wide opening
8. Mileage seems to be an improvement over the dodge.

Cons:
1. Passenger seat doesn't recline/move very far at all and leg room is at a premium. Generally it is uncomfortable for extended use for taller passengers. Although ours is probably the stripped down version i would imagine the seats could get better with a higher than base model.
2. Price…Nissan thinks a lot of their stuff - Not the cheapest van ever

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I've had my van for almost two years now and I'm thinking about making a change. I'm looking into the Nissan NV1500 or NV2500. They are built on their truck chassis in Canton, MS. The reason I'm leaning toward one of them is that I can actually work on them. The motor is placed exactly like it is in the truck, so it is not buried up in the body of the van. The belts and components are easy to get to. I can do most repairs on my Express, but some of them are just too time consuming.

So, has anyone gotten one of these yet or seen someone who had one? The half tons have the 4.0L V6 that they've used forever. They are supposedly bullet proof. I don't know though, I'm not a Nissan guy. I'm not a foreign vehicle guy altogether, but I'm willing to bend the rules. Just looking for some info if anyone has any.

2011-nissan-nvs-photo-334829-s-986x603.jpg
Where is the dislike button? Haha my opinion only, hope it helps.

Back