Rough riding at Apple Cabin MX track.

Sheesh! I was on here to see how Vintage Days was going, and I stopped here! Let me get this straight... you want to seriously inconvenience almost everybody that comes out to ride at the spot so the pee wee kids can take over the imtermediate track?

Godfather-- you seem like a nice guy who is concerned about your kids which is great. On the other hand, you're likely getting poisoned by input from parents who likely don't even ride bikes! There has been talk about splitting sessions if the tracks are super crowded, but we haven't seen it yet. In all honesty-- you guys are waaaay over-thinking the whole thing. That's what happens when humans get too many options-- they can't handle it!

Also-- I have no idea what you do for a living, but to people who operate tracks, it's their job. The donations they take in is how they eat. It's in their best interest to have as many happy riders as possible come out to ride. MX-onomics 101... maybe 15 pee wee's that pay an extra $5 to have the intermediate track to themselves is really only $75 of added donations. If you lose 10 or more riders due to what you suggested, then you're losing at LEAST $200 to gain $75 at that rate... not very smart. I know you all are safety minded, but I think you would find that there would be just as many close calls with nobody to blame.

Anyway-- I said it before, it's up to us to co-exist, or none of us will have a place to ride. Let your best judgement decide where the boys ride, and don't let the other parents decide for ya. Operating a track is a ton of work, and the folks at the Cabin work as hard or harder than any. I'd keep the complaints to a minimum and just focus on having some good 'ol family time. Just my $.02 bro!

One more thing-- you may want to look into riding some trails. Trail riding is alot of fun, and the boys may learn quite a bit from it. Crow Canyon, and Briarcliff have some nice trails as far as I know. --L*64

Last edited:
Godfather clearly has a passionate personality. And that's exactly what the sport needs when regards to introducing new riders. (His kids). Look forward to seeing you at the track. And with good track etiquette foundations your family will mesh perfectly in the moto world.

Hi this is my first post and I hope everyone will bear with me. In my opinion Eric you are putting too much emphasis on the cc's of your kids and other riders bikes. There are a few very fast riders on 85s on the mini track but they are cautious when they see slower riders. I would suggest since you are new to the sport listen to your kids if they are not comfortable on the bigger tracks have them ride on the smaller tracks till they get faster and more experience. I hope more people get into the sport and have as much fun as my kids have. As a mom of some faster riders I can tell you no matter how good they get you will always worry about their safety as it is a dangerous sport but it's your job to teach them the proper technic. If you are unsure of how to do that don't be ashamed or afraid to ask other parents or riders for advise we are a close group of people who love our sport. If you go to frank and talk to him I am sure he will do whatever he can to accommodate you however he has a lot of other people to make happy as well. I hope this helps and look forward to more new riders at the track.

Okay...I'm sucked in...as my last post was a bit sarcastic. Bottom line is this, often I find myself on a island on this issue and I know some other national level mini-riders that feel the same way. Mitchy, at Lorettas 3 years ago, at Lorettas last year on a 50cc and now headed back this year on a 65cc NEEDS big track time. Saying that, he also spent numerous years, prior to last late summer/fall, and last Thursday, on Franks middle track. Same for Briarcliff running the C track, and OIR as he ran that little track for years.

At some point, you will no when, you make the move. When you do you watch carefully and if there is ever a time, you are uneasy about it or you think others are too aggressive then that is not the track for you at that time. Very similar to Original44 and his progression to the big track. I will also say, I monitor the volume on the track and wait for it to thin as all need a break...add to that, if I see a pack of A riders, Ames, Moore, Krieg....etc...you all know them...I pull him/don't send him out...it is a very active job as a mini-dad and just sending him out on any track and not monitoring your rider each and every lap is not a good thing. The end of the night is always much easier to accomplish this.

I did not see any big bike riders disrespect or get aggressive with Mitchy...I watched many many big bikes pass him safely. He also has been told since 5 to hold his line and not look behind.The other riders coming up know what to do and what to expect..seems he has done that for years perfectly as I watch for this.

From what I watched last week, (not bragging,just setting up the those that don't know me, my progression and understanding of MX) I have for many years, carried a pro card in the 90's and have been to Lorettas in the Vet classes. I did not feel Mitchy, last Thursday, created a safety issue for anyone on the big track? Maybe, not the norm on a 65...or maybe he is...I'm not sure anymore. What I can say, I will be back Thursday and he will be running 30 min motos to train for Lorettas...with a little luck...gonna bring his blue 85 as well....hint hint Original44.

I know Frank, when he gets a decent turnout of minis, does break out a session or 2 for them. Last week I did not see more than 4 on the big track so not enough to justify making the big bikes sit for 15 mins...or at least in my mind. Frank was done well judging this and also know, as indicated in an earlier post, he has a group that are there training for the national at the end of this month...I would say sessions for little bikes probably not in the cards while that is going on ...just my opinion.

Last edited:
All I have to say is apple cabin is a great place first of all hands down great track, love it, frank and Dori are the nicest people,
When I started riding I had a 1970 something honda mini trail 50, and I would go to smith road on Wednesday nights and ride the big track and the only thing George the owner told me was son hold your line and the faster guys will go around you don't swerve to the side of the track or your going to get ran over, and I did just as he said ,and he was right and I think I got ran into one time on the 50 lol.
Motocross is a hard sport at any level so if your a slower rider and on the big track and no matter the size just hold your line and the faster riders will go around round, when you start trying to avoid the faster riders then the problem start,
Everyone ride safe, smart and keep it on two wheels , Mario testa 927

I was there Thursday. My son was riding a supermini on the big track. I believe I know who your son is. There's no reason for him to be on the big track yet. I'm sorry, but I really believe he would do better on the mini track. He needs to build his confidence up. The mini track is where my son learned how to ride. I started my son on a Yamaha 110, then a KTM 65 and now a YZ-85. My son rode his 85 for a year and a half on the mini track. Toward the end I had parents start to wonder when I was going to move him to the big track. Quite frankly I don't care what they said, I only moved my son when I felt he was ready to be on the big track.

Apple Cabin has 3 tracks. That's what makes it such a great place for all. I like the way they run it now. For those who are not familiar with Apple cabin. They run one mini practice on the big track toward the end of the day. That allows the kids to get familiar with the big track before they eventually move there. I'm normally for split practices, but with Apple Cabin having 3 tracks I would like them to keep it the way it is.

My bud Frank and I were there,also.First time this year.:(Need to get in some more riding for sure!:D
I agree with Mike 100%.I was NOT about to get out there and try to learn the track and such with all the fast people out there and getting in the way.Waited to after they let the mini practice on the big track and then went out.That is when you should probably get your guys out there on the big track,safely:)
Most of the faster riders seemed to be done at that point and track traffic died down quite considerably.
Had to be close to 8pm.Still plenty of light to ride towards the end.Maybe a dozen on the whole track.Really thinned out.Had pretty much the whole track to ourselves.Nice track and nice facility to ride and get some mx practice in!!

Good morning all! I've spent the last half hour reading all the responses to my concerns here. I must admit that I'm rather pleasantly suprised that our participation as a family is a priority for the others involved. I was initially thinking I might be able to change the operating agenda so my sons could ride at the track and get through it without being maimed. I must say that we are feeling welcome at this point, and Horsey and Original 44 may be right. The dilemma may have been an error on my part with my track choices. There seem to be a few parents that want the bigger and faster bikes and riders off the mini track so as to improve the conditions for their own pee wees. It appears that by moving my older boy to the larger track to oblige the pee wee parents, I've helped to comprimise the safety of the main track.

I guess in a way I have had my judgement poisoned by the mx versions of soccer moms/dads who don't ride. In my hopes for acceptance of my sons, I guess I took some bad advice. I thank you all for recognizing my concerns as valid, and steering us in the right direction. The perspective changes when the opinions come from actual riders. By talking to some of the parents, and none of the actual riders, it seemed like the mx riders were agressive and raised by wolves! Your input has changed that. Thank you all very much, and we will be back out to try it again in a few weeks when we get back from vacation. This time the boys will be on the correct tracks. The site seems to be a valuable tool for sourcing riding tracks and other information as well.

Godfather, I hear ya. I too have a 85 rider that is between the beginner track and the C track at briarcliff. The reality is he has a medical situation where mentally he's not progressing as fast as his age, basically. A 6 year old in a 12 year olds body. He loves riding, but hasn't evolved since he started 6 years ago. We go to the cliff and route 62 mostly, and he frequents the beginner track and the C track when not many are on it. You just gotta watch and pay attention. You'll notice that when everyone first gets there around 11 or 12 everyone goes out, then they take a break, That's when you send them out. And when they start going out again, bring him in. I mean, there will always guys out there, but the crowd thins out at times. It'll almost always end up in cycles like that all day long. Don't know why. Even without someone regulating it, most people end up going out when the other guys are, and end up coming in about the same time too. Also, most leave around 3, so either show up late or whatever, but staying until close and the crowd thins out enough he can ride without the big crowd.

Glad tings are resolved for you at this track. I do think it was also good advice for you to check out some other tracks as well. Some tracks will just fit better than others during different stages of the kids' development. If you are in Seville, you should consider giving Smith Rd a try. Maybe you'll lie it, maybe you won't. The more diverse experiences you aquire, the easier it is for you to form ideas to adapt and fit.

Godfather , good luck to you and your boys . It can be tough getting started in the sport . I would suggest looking up the owner/promoter at each track you go to and get a feel for how things are ran . Maybe just drop by and watch a bit before even taking them to ride at a new facility . Always have " scouted " a new track before riding it myself , when it was possible .

You are correct about this forum being a great source of info . Please remember , though , that it is a public forum and once you put something on it , it is there for all to see . Right , wrong , or indifferent . Not the same as buddies discussing things over a few beers at a bar or around a campfire . I feel it best to try and resolve issues before putting them on here . What is said here can shoot off in a direction you never intended and have repercussions you didn't mean to happen .

When Mikki was transitioning to a big track I would follow her closely and block for her when the track had a low rider count. She was told to never look back and always hold a straight line. Eventually she was fast enough to be safe for her and the others.

And BTW...block pass me in practice and you'll go into the trees on the next lap...

When Mikki was transitioning to a big track I would follow her closely and block for her when the track had a low rider count. She was told to never look back and always hold a straight line. Eventually she was fast enough to be safe for her and the others.

And BTW...block pass me in practice and you'll go into the trees on the next lap...

Hahah now I don't feel bad for blowing a gasket in those situations.

Greetings all. We've returned from summer vacation, and as I mentioned in a different thread, I plan on bringing the boys to the Apple Cabin track to ride their bikes. This time with better judgement.

I got a call last night from the other moto mom who was pushing to move the bigger bikes off of the beginner track. Mostly to ask when I was planning to bring my boys out to ride again. Interestinly enough, she mentioned that there were more bigger bikes than ever riding there over the past few weeks, and several of the other pee wee parents have moved their kids to the smaller pee wee track after our last discussion in this forum here. She told me that the demeanor of the riders on the bigger bikes had changed, and that there was an older bigger bike rider that helps her pee wee son pick his cycle up and get it started every time he tips it over, then alerted and diverted the oncoming riders from hitting her boy. Very refreshing to hear that things have changed. What a difference a few weeks makes?

I'd say its unlikely that anything changed in the past few weeks. More so you maybe were just there on an off day and had 1 bad experience. For the most part 99.9% of the people you will meet in this sport will be the most helpful caring and willing to help people in the world. Regardless glad it has worked out for you, enjoy!

Yep-- ^^^ He's right. I'm up there all the time on my play bikes. We ALWAYS have stopped to pick up downed kids. It's alot easier for us to do it, than have the parents running out onto the track. I try and have the kids pick up their own bikes and get them started with minimal help other than coaching. It's something they'll need to get figured out eventually. Helping the next generation learn to ride is part of keeping the sport going.

Glad you learned something from this thread, and that you'll be bringing the boys back to the spot to ride. If they have a good experience-- let the track owners know about it. They work hard, and I know they like happy riders.

One more thing-- if you happen to run into Steve W. and his son, ya might want to apologize for the "older black boy" description. You probably didn't mean anything bad by it at all, and they won't say anything to ya about it, but they weren't thrilled when they read what ya typed. Both great guys, and Steve is working with his son and his riding just as you are with your own boys. Hope to see ya at the track Eric! --L*64

Back