Mid Ohio AMA pictures

Oh, and a BIG thanks to the AMA for hiring a professional photographer to get such awesome shots and then uploading high res pics for everyone! In this one, evomx 244 schools me on his 125.
DSC08515 resized.jpg

No trouble here, just hover on the pic and then click the folder icon at the bottom. Boom - it saves the original full res pic.

Yes it is awesome that the AMA provides all these pics, thank you!

Last edited:
I selected a pic so it would be enlarged on the right side of the page, then to the far upper right in the enlarged pic being viewed is a selection of the various resolutions to choose from. The very bottom option is "original", you can then do a right mouse click on "original" and then "save image". This downloads the original file size which is a HUGE high res pic.

This is the second year in a row I did not go. Kinda looks like from the pix and the results page, the number of riders was WAY down... Is that true or did I miss something? I love that event but honestly I just can not justify the cost.

I mean charging $40 to camp in a tent??? I love my old bikes but I believe I am officially over that event. Mid Ohio has always been a road race that happen to have dirt bikes over in the corner. This does not surprise me. Its the AMA. Soon as they took over the gate prices shot up, and sign-up cost just got stupid.
Unadilla is all off-road and looks be growing much faster.

It is probably the most fun weekend event of the year for me and Kari.

And BTW, it's FREE to camp in the MX pits.

All depends on what you're into.

For me, it's a definite high point of the year to go there and check everything out and have a great time...so for me, it's well worth the price of admission.

Numbers are way down compared to say 2007-2009 but that could be because of the economy. Still a great event, I would say better now that AMA runs it.

Numbers are way down compared to say 2007-2009 but that could be because of the economy. Still a great event, I would say better now that AMA runs it.
Scott that would be the first time anyone has ever said it better thanks to the AMA.

I really wanted to go for the swap meet since I still need a lot for my '75 KX250 but man, I just don't know, Maybe its just me but the whole thing has a diff vibe. Wish they would build a good track like they had years ago. Did anyone watch trials this year? Do they even have it anymore? I want to try it. A kt250 is on my wish list.

Dude, quit being so negative about everything!

Yes they had trials, looked like a decent crowd to me. The whole place is packed for this event and it's always a great time. The amount of time, money, and effort that so many people put into this event is staggering and there are a ton of people like me that appreciate it greatly!

Stop being so upbeat... really drags me down.
Not negative about everything, just negative about people with their hand out and not supporting our sport.
I love vintage days, its great to have it in our backyard. I also appreciate the VOLENTEERS that work the event, just wonder where all that money is going???

Besides, when your negative. Small successes seem larger then they appear.

Money is always such a highly debated and relative topic. What would feel like a fortune in my checking account barely moves the needle to host an expensive event.

I did a quick back of the napkin look at the motocross entries this year. It looks like there were about 170 entries for Saturday's races and 180 entries for Sunday, about 350 race entries total.

If nobody pre-registered, the 350 * 50 is about $17,000 is race fees. I suspect the AMA didn't clear much for hosting the motocross racing, if anything, after costs. I appreciate that they hosted the event and had a blast.

I tend to look the value I believe I get for the cost. For me, and this was my first Vintage Days event, I thought it was a great value when I compare to other entertainment costs.

Compared to the cost of a movie and popcorn, a Cincinnati Reds game, or rock concert ticket, I had 12 hours of motocross bliss from the swap meet to watching races to my 2 motos at a relative bargain.

I didn't pre-register and drove up on Sunday. I packed a sandwich in a cooler. My entire day was less than $150.00 including gas, race fees, and food.

I hope to be back next year and look forward to it.

Last edited:
not sure what's worse, all the negativity or that the negativity is based on made up stuff lol

facts:

- mid-ohio sets ticket and camping prices, not ama.

- racers camp for free in mx pits. pit camping is free cause ama asks for that for racers.

- ama entry prices are at least as cheap if not cheaper than ahrma was.

- track was great this year!

- ahrma never did harescrambles here. ama started that. and this year was the biggest vintage harescrambles race i've ever seen.

- trials are amazing here. the course set up is awesome and the classes are well attended. even though i don't do trials, the spectating is a big highlight for me.

- ama pays a pro photog to come and take pics of you and give you those pics for free. who else does that for you?

- the mx races are announced by TOM FREAKIN' WHITE

- awesome podium experience

- and for that big mystery... "how much does the ama make from the event?" ohhhhhh.... that big, bad ama won't ever tell you that. HA! here ya go... they make about a quarter million a year and THEY GIVE IT ALL AWAY TO A 501(C)(3)... and that doesn't even include what the AMA pays their staffers to manage this

http://americanmotorcyclist.com/New...otorcycle_Days_a_fundraiser_for_the_AMHF.aspx

How many races do you go to where the promoter GIVES AWAY all the proceeds?

AMA haters always be hatin' !!!!

accept the above FACTS and move on. AMA does good stuff!!!

As a new MX rider this was my first AMA Vintage Day experience. Had a fantastic time raced E3125 B/C, and E123 50+C. I would do it again next weekend, and the one after that if I could. The whole event was put on for motorcycle guys, by motorcycle guys. I was amazed by the number of pit bikes, of all types riding up and down the road. Thanks to Actions sports for the starting gate, and to the AMA for a very well-run event. Even had a chance to spent some time talking to Tom White before the award ceremony. I was tempted to say it’s the most fun you can have WITH YOUR CLOTHES ON, but when you are in the 50+ group it just “THE MOST FUN” period. And took home a second place trophy to boot…..

That's pretty convenient that they "give" the money away to there own 501(c) (3)... Handy
I didn't know Mr. White middle name was Freakin' but hey, that cool.
Im not an AMA hater. Its called being a realist and a customer. For YEARS the organization in Pickerington, for the lack of a better term, abused the off-road arm of their membership. A few plastic #1 plates and a wooden "podium" does not absolve them of past wrong doings.
The Federal government also "does good stuff". Should we just bury our heads in the sand and let them do what they like? Or is it our rights as Americans to do our best to keep them in check?
As a member for over 30 years, on and off, It is not only my right, but my responsibility to help keep the AMA in check as-well.
I will attend and participate in vintage days in the future. And I will have fun doing so. But I will also be on the lookout for things I believe are wrong. If it bothers you that I point them out, weather it be based on fact or fiction, feel free to overlook any and all of my posts in the future.

The brotherhood of the fellow riders and the site of those beautiful old machines turning laps on any track are the reasons I and many other got into, and stay with vintage moto. It has nothing to do with the organization behind it.

Now, can anyone tell me where I can find a good used tank for my '75 KX

btw, I can also point out good things... The pictures are sweet.

Back