Craigslist, Impulse Buying, and Decisions

Dano762

PR Addict
As I drove away from the candy store of Mid Ohio's Vintage Days swap meet, I was happy with my self control and lack of additional garage clutter.

I called my wife and said I didn't buy anything and even earned double bonus points by not getting hurt bad enough to contribute to our ridiculously high annual medical deductible.

Figuring I saved money, looking at Craigslist was properly justified and almost a duty.

Found one!! Now fight the impulse and wait. Surely someone will go first and snatch this up.

You didn't and shame on all of you.
1984 RM125 2014-07-28 001 (1024x685).jpg

1984 RM125 2014-07-28 004 (1024x685).jpg

Next decision is what to do with it. It is a too nice to part out. It needs cleaned up, greased up, a set of tires, suspension gone through, motor refreshed, and a set of clutch springs that aren't from a CR500.

All things that make a bargain find a money pit.

I have never ridden an 82-84 era RM, time to start planning........

Looks nice Dan, and it even has the anti-endo front plate extension!

I joined the Zuma crowd after Mid Ohio....

Going thru the suspension will probably remind you why suzuki discontinued manufacturing of the best rear suspension design of that era, pricey bearings everywhere. Also, you're right about the clutch, you'll need it in good working order to keep that RM moving forward, little to no low end that year. Being a Suzuki guy, I hope you get it going.

It becomes a moral dilemma waiting to see if one of the other members are gonna jump and grab it up. Worry begins to set-in that some rediculous moron will come across the add, buy it, and proceed to destroy this fine relic from our past.

Looking forward to see it on the gate.
Good catch Dan.

I know exactly what you mean and the seller was going to do his best to kill it. His opening line was how fast he could run it up the road; damn near 85 as he bragged!

He had a bulding full of stuff in various states of dissaembly and on the path to total junk. Anyone want a "1000" horsepower 1988 Mustang in more than 1000 pieces?

If it hadn't sold soon he was going to tear it apart and make it right so it could bring the "big" money!

It was in south eastern Indiana so not to far from me but a long drive from northern Ohio.[/QUOTE]

Going thru the suspension will probably remind you why suzuki discontinued manufacturing of the best rear suspension design of that era, pricey bearings everywhere. Also, you're right about the clutch, you'll need it in good working order to keep that RM moving forward, little to no low end that year. Being a Suzuki guy, I hope you get it going.

The reason Suzuki stopped manufacturing the FULL FLOATER was a law suit by the US inventor after Suzuki stole his patented design. A very short sighted move by the japs, the full floater was the best rear suspension developed and even today with a modern or modified shock the system is fantastic, especially for a 1981 release.

Here's the details if anyone is interested.

http://www.leagle.com/decision/19892094868F2d1226_11873.xml/RICHARDSON v. SUZUKI MOTOR CO., LTD.

Last edited:
The reason Suzuki stopped manufacturing the FULL FLOATER was a law suit by the US inventor...

I stand corrected. And, I do agree that it's still great even today. Any stories on why the next generation (eccentric cam) design disappeared so quickly?

Well mid Ohio took my money! A yellow Honda! I had to have it!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    202.3 KB · Views: 210
Well mid Ohio took my money! A yellow Honda! I had to have it!

...just as I had to have a Mint 400!...then a T-S&M 185.

Every single motorcycle I have ever purchased (40 years worth)has and will be an impulse buy based on emotion. I'm sure that is true in all of you too.

When it stops...my heart has too.

The impulse purchase, which is always accompanied with the "explanation-story" that justifies the purchase to the speaker of the house. :rolleyes:

Funny too, that the women never remember the bikes we bought, but somehow always remember the BS story.

Back