Role Models or Bad Influence??

Chilli Town MX

PR Addict
As I was surfing through Pitracer today I couldn't help but notice the cool picture that was recently updated in the banner heading of the page showing the anixiously awaiting 65cc riders on the gate at Loretta's. Is it just me or are there several kids lined up in that picture that are not wearing a chest protector? I even see two kids that aren't wearing a neck brace.

Is this because they are so good they never wreck or is it because they want to look more like their favorite pro rider? I feel like it should be mandatory that all kids should have to wear full protection. I also believe even pros should have to wear these items as well. It is proven that they do reduce injury.

Our pros are the role models for our kids. Is the new standard to look cool first and be safe second? With our sport getting to the point of blistering speeds at such young ages and the news of more and more kids getting injured badly or even killed shouldn't we push for more rules on this?

Whats everyones position on this? Are chest protectors and neck braces overrated? Not needed? Waste of money? Only for sissys? Lets hear it!

I wear a chest protector, after much deliberation back in the day, because I hit my chest a couple times on the crossbar going through a timing section. Now it's just a part of my get up...except for at the dunes and trail. Need a new one, but anyway...

I do not wear a neck brace. More so due to cost maybe, but also added to it that I'm not dying to get one. If I was, I would have one no matter the cost. Do I need it? I don't feel like I do. Just another piece of equipment I have to buy, maintain, and get used to. Sure, I obviously would get used to it, but not feeling I need to. Maybe I should... ???

Now I'm not saying everyone should feel this way as they do not. Just speaking my mind as it stands today. I'm a firm believer in that when it's my time, it's my time and I'll deal with whatever comes about. I'm not invincable and I know this. Maybe someday I'll where a suit of armor like peeps tell me I should. I probabaly won't go any slower... :)

It's a free country to an extent. Already have too many peeps telling us what we can and cannot do. We have the obvious basics as needed. Everything else should be a choice. The thing peeps need to start doing it taking responsibility for their own actions. If they get hurt, it was the chance they took, not because someone didn't tell them they had to wear it, etc. Feel me?

Go ahead. Hammer me. I'm good...

I see your point and its a good one but should helmets be optional? What about boots and gloves? The rulebook already states we have to wear sleeves past the elbow (if im not mistaken). I'm not cool with tons of regulations but some things seem like no brainers. One would think they would want the most protection for thier kids as possible. I often wonder if its cost or wanting to look like the big boys. I don't know...maybe i'm just too protective of my kids.

I see your point and its a good one but should helmets be optional? What about boots and gloves? The rulebook already states we have to wear sleeves past the elbow (if im not mistaken). I'm not cool with tons of regulations but some things seem like no brainers. One would think they would want the most protection for thier kids as possible. I often wonder if its cost or wanting to look like the big boys. I don't know...maybe i'm just too protective of my kids.
No, like I said, what we have today as what we have to wear is the no brainer part of it. Helmets of course, boots yes, goggles you bet, and for safety of others, gloves for you sweat mongers like myself. Well and then pants and a shirt.

Other than that, it's on you, the parent and/or the rider. Do what you feel you have to so you can feel safe. Guarntee if we would have been riding without those, especially the helmet, MX would have been shut down long ago. "Too protective" is a relative term. If you were not letting your kids do anything and kept them in a bubble, then yes, I'd agree you are too protective. If you didn't let then ride because you though they might get hurt, yes, too protective. If you would not let them jump out of an airplane without a parachute...no, not too protective. I can't stand peeps that do not let kids fall down and get a bump or scrape. They're the type you need to watch when you grow up as they'll hurt you when they hurt themselves...

I think it should be left upto the parents to decide rather then a rule being places, I personally think they restrict free movement if not fitted perfectly and with as fast as kids grow how hard and expensive is it going to be to make sure that their always fitted properly? Like the seat belt law some risk should be left on the induvidual IMO. As a law enforcment officer I will say I don't agree with the seatbelt laws and don't comply because I personally feel its a violation of my freedom to choose whats safest for myself, nobody can say by me not wearing one that I'm putting someone else at risk.

Oh no....another neck brace thread.

The problem with the neck brace is there isnt a definitive unbiased testing procedure like helmets have. Some people will swear by them and some swear it makes injuries worse, or even cause them. I think with the neck brace issue it will be a battle until there is regulated testing for them.

Personally I wear all of your idea of proper protective gear.

Regardless, all the protective equipment in the world will not prevent the injury they are intended to, just reduce the risk...potentially in some cases... Regardless, it's a free country supposedly. We need to quit protecting stupid by restricting not so stupid...

I agree with Clint. Natural selection is a good thing. As a track owner, mandate whatever your
insurance says you have to for them (the insurance company) to go to bat for you and that's all.

How do you draw a line between whats right and whats wrong? Why are we ok with tracks and sanctioning bodies telling us we HAVE to wear goggles and a helmet but not other items? Of course I would never send my boy on the track without either but I have seen a lot of kids go out on the track without goggles over the years. Most of us MX'ers see a kid without goggles and we rush to let the parent know they went out without their eye protection, but with a chest protector and neck brace most of us think "ah...no big deal...its their kid not mine".

I don't know...I have mixed feelings on this. One side says not a big deal and the other side tells me all kids should be wearing them. I'm torn...

I think we can all agree that helmets and goggles are a much larger saftey issue though, if you get roosted without a chest protector real bad yeah its gonna hurt like hell no big deal, but if the same happens without goggles you could easily loose an eye and thats a big deal.

If David bailey told you that there was a bubble suit that completely keep you safe would you buy one? I mean let say its guaranteed to save your life or your child's life. How far do we take safety? I wear a goggles and a chest protector because roost hurts like a som bitch. I do wear a helmet and boots too. Of the those I might be able to give up the chest protector, but only because I have a jersey to cover my skin. The dog collars scare me, nothing goes around my neck except a tie in my casket. No thanks. My kids won't have them either if they ride.

I think we can all agree that helmets and goggles are a much larger saftey issue though, if you get roosted without a chest protector real bad yeah its gonna hurt like hell no big deal, but if the same happens without goggles you could easily loose an eye and thats a big deal.
So are you saying a chest protector only protects against roost? What about neck braces? Something has got to be better than nothing right? Reduces the chances for a broken neck and a life in a wheel chair...or is that just BS?

I have two third degree separated AC joints, always wear a chest protector. I didn't expect it to prevent those injuries, but yes they are only good for roost.

I wear a chest protector without the shoulder protection. I debated on letting my son wear that style, and ended up letting him get that style. I would not go without the chest protector. I have bruises on my arms and sides of my chest from roost on Mondays, so I will always wear roost protection.

I have landed on my back a few times, it has never protected me from a crash. If anything I remember thinking damn my back! I don't know why they evolved from single sided, which I wore as a kid, to the clam style. I have toyed with switching to the under foam for a couple years now.

One thing is for sure I think parents should ride and try out these so called safety devices before mandating that their kids wear them. Parents that don't ride are just guessing.

Back