Role Models or Bad Influence??

I don't understand how the "Pro's" that all of the little guys are looking up to don't wear chest protectors. The roost I take is horrible with a chest protector on and they are taking more roost from faster guys for longer periods of time…… and that's just the roost protection part of the equation. Then you have crashes, and impact protection that comes from Chest protectors for a variety of reasons already discussed. Of course you can still get hurt with them on, but there is no denying that they help some things from getting worse. Chest protection is always an important piece of my moto gear along with my kids moto gear. I wish more "Pro's" would wear chest protectors so it would give more young riders the idea that they are good things to wear.

Neck braces are a whole other thing that is debated a lot. I wear one and believe in the theory of the protection, and have my son wear one as well. I can see where there is the possibility of them creating another injury in a crash too for the wearer. I can only attest to my own experience that last year when I crushed my eye socket from impact with the ground at Red Bud, the hospital staff was amazed that I didn't have any neck problems or a concussion based on the injury and force that my face took in the crash. A good helmet and neck brace that prevented my neck from going beyond normal range of motion is what I think kept me safer in the crash than I might have otherwise been. But I will never know for sure….. but I made my choice to wear one, and always ride with it at this point. I don't think it should be mandatory and should be left to personal choice for both Chest and Neck Protection.

I'm pretty sure most of the pro's wear some sort of under the jersey protection don't they? Except for when it is a particularly rocky track, some will pull out the over the top roost protectors. Maybe some of the kids 'think' the pro's don't wear anything but a jersey, but I really doubt that is the case.

I'm on the side of it being a choice for neck braces or what type of chest protection you choose, if any.

I do worry about little kids though. Some parents don't seem to make very good choices when it comes to their kid's safety and it could be the kid who ends up hurting because of it.

Any kind of plastic chest protector would have helped keep Weimer's back from looking this bad.

Attachments

• Jake-Weimer-Moto-rider-via-MOTO.jpg
    Jake-Weimer-Moto-rider-via-MOTO.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 231
Good youth helmets are hard to find. I've only found one that is Snell approved other than the 6D which is a bit pricey. The bigger helmet thing is quite disturbing! I don't even get his boots a size bigger to grow into. I don't get it with some parents. Kid wears a Leatt Fusion which is a combo neck brace-chest protector. I really like it a lot, it fits nice and snug around his sides and offers good protection but not a hard shell. Myself, another story. I need a roost guard, I look pretty gruesome after a Moto chasing you tractors around on my pinger. No neck brace for me though, no reason. I used to wear knee braces back in the day, my knees are still shot as is my hip. But both arms are shot too and that ain't from racin'! Tracks should require helmets, goggles and boots. The other stuff is by choice. I never did understand the long sleeved thing, hey I used to have some guns and at least I could try to scare some of the competition! Oh, the pit riding thing for kids should require helmets also. One time the boy seen an elder MXer peel his helmet after finishing a race riding back to the pits. You guessed it his next Moto he wanted to be cool too. Kids do copy cat their peers and we need to remember that. By the way he had to wear his helmet the rest of the day till we got in the car.

I think a lot of parents do not understand how important it is to have a proper fitting helmet. I would rather see a kid with a cheaper helmet that fits that a top of the line that is a size to big. I think if anything could be emphasized on the safety issue this is a big one. I cringe when I see anyone with a helmet that's to big.

As for a neck brace I do wear one but don't feel they are a must. They are kind of like a seat belt, they may help you and in some cases they may hurt you. I wear one because I am a horrible crasher and tend to be along for the ride. My husband doesn't wear one because he is in a sense a "good crasher" I am fine with that. I do wish he would wear a chest protector. I wear one for the fact of rocks, sticks footpegs and even other bikes hitting you. I know it's a piece of plastic but that has to take away some of the impact of outside objects. Being a female a chest protector is a must for roost. lol

It's doesn't matter to me what pro's do and don't wear. They are on a different level.

Let me kick this horse one time. I've worn neck protection for a long time. Years ago I wore a football collar attached to a chest protector. Similar to the Millsap doughnut. Now I wear an Atlas. Depending on the track I might wear a chest protector or not.
For me goggles are a must I will DNF before I remove them during a moto. Eyes are a one time deal. Also a new helmet every year or after it hits the ground. Helmets are only made for one hit.
Enough said. Run horse, run!

Didn't Reed quit wearing one??? I didn't say every top guy.

Dungey stopped as well.

The only thing that saved you was your airoh helmet at windy hill Hershey. Your melon was rung so hard all you kept saying was "thank god for that neck brace". All I was thinkin was damn that's a good helmet.

And I've toyed with not wearing a chest protector. Yea I don't care how un cool it is. Because everything hurts Behind a 450 except where the protector is.

Dungey stopped as well.

The only thing that saved you was your airoh helmet at windy hill Hershey. Your melon was rung so hard all you kept saying was "thank god for that neck brace". All I was thinkin was damn that's a good helmet.

And I've toyed with not wearing a chest protector. Yea I don't care how un cool it is. Because everything hurts Behind a 450 except where the protector is.
Especially being in c class with a bunch of b class riders. I almost bought a roost protector just for that. Lol

From an orthopedic view I will say only this. MOST neck and back injuries are caused by compression....such as lawn darting yourself. There is no back protection out there that will prevent that. The neck brace is supposed to do that but then may also cause other injuries. The same is true of knee braces. The moment you brace one part of the body the next part in line may take the hit. A cheap helmet or ill fitting helmet may cause more damage than not having one at all. The same can be said about proper fitting boots. They should support the ankles and protect the foot. Most people don't realize the ton's of weight you place on your feet in just normal activities so imagine what they endure during any sporting event. That's why we suddenly got busy doing our football teams this past week, summer camp has begun!
Glad this came up though because Chris needs a new neck brace and I didn't know if we should shop around and see what is current besides the Leatt.

Leatt diverts the pressures your neck would endure directly onto your spine. I went with Atlas because there is no part of the brace that touches your spine.

Back