Open Practice vs Sessions

John250

PR Founding Father
Another example why it is not a good idea to have big bikes and little bikes on the track for open practice. 13 year old on an 85 got landed on by a big bike and killed in Texas.

Unfortunately not everyone has common sense when practicing. I know it may not have been the big bike guys fault, accidents happen. But just an example why I think if tracks have practice days, where they charge you to ride............they should use practice sessions.

God Speed to the Child in Texas.

Dang, bad weekend. Just read someone passed away at Tomahawk at a vintage event also over the weekend.

Terrible news, thoughts and prayers to the family of that child.

No doubt this will raise some attention to splitting practice into sessions as well as parents being logical about putting their kids out on the track with the big bikes.

Sad news for sure at both events.

I've been at two AHRMA races in which riders passed away. This is not really a safety issue, it's just a fact that the racers at these events are older in age in various stages of health.

Terrible for sure, prayers out to all these families.

Lets be reasonable here though. How many riders are mixed with 85 riders ( I dont think any 65 or smaller rider should EVER be on the track with big bikes) every week with big bikes without an issue? Your talking about .00005% injury rate here. Leave it be, life sucks and like Scoob always says " When its your time its your time"

EEEKS! I'm starting to like the idea of several tracks available for my own boys to ride on. I'm back from vacation, and I plan on bringing the troops back to the Apple Cabin track to ride. This time on the correct tracks. Prayers go out to the family of the boy who was killed. I will definitely be watching my boys closely.

Terrible for sure, prayers out to all these families.

Lets be reasonable here though. How many riders are mixed with 85 riders ( I dont think any 65 or smaller rider should EVER be on the track with big bikes) every week with big bikes without an issue? Your talking about .00005% injury rate here. Leave it be, life sucks and like Scoob always says " When its your time its your time"

Dang that's cold! Try telling that to the parents of the kid...

Sounded worse than I meant it ..... I cant imagine the loss of a child, if it were my kid that got landed on I would be in jsil for killing the guy who landed on him.......but after I came to my senses I would never forgive myself for letting him on the track with the big guys.

Sounded worse than I meant it ..... I cant imagine the loss of a child, if it were my kid that got landed on I would be in jsil for killing the guy who landed on him.......but after I came to my senses I would never forgive myself for letting him on the track with the big guys.

Open practice should be against the law. If you are on a closed course then it should ONLY be with same size machines, WITH trained flaggers.

With that reasoning... It would be against the law for motorcycles and cars to co-exist on public roads!

Do I think it's OK that a kid died in a practice session after getting landed on by a bigger kid, hell no! Do we know the details of the situation? I know I don't.

I think it should be left up to the track officials and it's customers to implement a proper procedure to eliminate this type of problem.

In most cases that I see this type of problem (fortunately I have not witnessed a death) it usually involves someone riding that thinks they have pro skills and they should be the only person on the track. I believe that person needs to be dealt with on that particular day before a serious accident takes place.

Seriously ?!?!
More then serious.
Yes, I am fully aware the sport has changed over the years but I personally NEVER rode an open practice. Anytime I went to practice was at personal tracks when it was just a couple other similarly talented guys. If anyone went down it was pretty easy to notice since we were typically battling each other.
The idea of 50 other riders and all sizes and skill levels, scares the hell out of me.

With that reasoning... It would be against the law for motorcycles and cars to co-exist on public roads!

Do I think it's OK that a kid died in a practice session after getting landed on by a bigger kid, hell no! Do we know the details of the situation? I know I don't.

I think it should be left up to the track officials and it's customers to implement a proper procedure to eliminate this type of problem.

In most cases that I see this type of problem (fortunately I have not witnessed a death) it usually involves someone riding that thinks they have pro skills and they should be the only person on the track. I believe that person needs to be dealt with on that particular day before a serious accident takes place.

Come on man, A kid DIED. It is long overdone that the idea of Open riding be addressed in a LEGAL format.
As far as your correlation with cars and motorcycles on public roads... Its called traffic laws. Everyone is doing the same speed and going in the same direction. Lines identify the lanes and traffic signals are on every corner. You can not legally rider a moped on an interstate. Why is that? Because the speeds are so different.
The current condition is the result of "leaving it up to the track official". That is not working.
I don't want everyone wrapped in bubble wrap and the government deciding what I can do and how I do it. But when ONE child dies. The system needs fixed.

What's the full story with this incident. Was he some smoking fast 85 rider? And this was a horrible riding incident that ended in death? Or was he some weaving bob, unskilled kid that had no business being out on that track? Or did everyone know he had no business being out on that track and his parent still sent him?

What I read sounded like the kid was on the backside of a jump and a 15 year old on a big bike landed on him. Not bashing on the 15 year old, but I know when I am on a track, I always try to know who is out there with me, and if little kids are there, I am aware of where they are usually.

15 year olds sometimes have a different mentality during practice than I do.

Come on man, A kid DIED. It is long overdone that the idea of Open riding be addressed in a LEGAL format.
As far as your correlation with cars and motorcycles on public roads... Its called traffic laws. Everyone is doing the same speed and going in the same direction. Lines identify the lanes and traffic signals are on every corner. You can not legally rider a moped on an interstate. Why is that? Because the speeds are so different.
The current condition is the result of "leaving it up to the track official". That is not working.
I don't want everyone wrapped in bubble wrap and the government deciding what I can do and how I do it. But when ONE child dies. The system needs fixed.

I completely understand. I can't imagine the hell the kid's parents must be in right now. Not to mention all involved.

With that being said, my point is... (don't take it the wrong way) I feel like you are having a knee jerk reaction when you don't fully understand the situation.

You know what happens when the government gets involved with what should be left in the hands of the consumer, everybody suffers.

I do think we should address the situation with open practice, just not with lawyers and the government!

I like the idea behind sessions but at the same time I don't think it should always be decided by cc's, I'm just an average C class rider and I've ran on the track with some super minis that I couldn't keep up with and were far more agressive then my fellow big bike riders. If they can keep up with the big bikes then I say let em ride at the same time, an 85 landing on my head could easily kill me regardless of what I'm riding.

Back