Yellow flags? Why bother

ck1racerx

PR Addict
OK, seriously, SOMETHING has to be done about flaggers in our sport.
Yesterday at Dirt Country, I witnessed the worst "flag crew" in history. First of all, On a track that is over a mile in length they had 5 total flaggers (including the finish line and guy turning the 2 board) and two of those were 15 yards apart. The bask straight has two very small jumps and is at least 300 yards long and had ZERO flaggers. That straight is between two ponds and is completely hidden from sight by 6 foot tall cattails. If someone goes down, no one would see them.
One of the "flaggers" was a young lady setting on a chair about 30 feet from the edge of the track, When someone would crash, she would not even stand up and start "waving" her flag from the chair. It was ridiculous at best.
The fact that DC has been around for more then 35 years and this is still happening is reprehensible.
Of course I am going to mention the AMA. Nope, Never seen a single AMA rep again. Like I said, been racing there for more then 35 years, Im sure DC has signed up more AMA member over the years then all other track combined. They just DONT CARE.
Something MUST be done

Dear, AMA
Take the money that you WASTED last week advertising for people to join the AMA while they are at Loretta's...duh, they are already members... and create a training class for AMA promoters on how to properly design, build and operate a motocross track. THIS must include a session on track officials including flaggers, gate operation, Referee's and scorers.

Dear track Owners,
Take some F'ing pride in what you offer, Hire a trained crew, Build a safe, competitive track... take care of that track...

Dear worthless "Parent"
When you take your little brat to the track, Don't let the little bastard ride WFO through the dusty pits with no helmet.

Oh yeah... Dear track owner...
WATER THE F'ING PITS. Because some of your clientele are worthless, mouth breathing, inbreeds that would rather smoke a cigarette and drink their Bush Light, then watch there own kids.

Lol.....Knox has been the most honest and entertaining member in a long time! Thanks for joining PR !!!!

OK, seriously, SOMETHING has to be done about flaggers in our sport.
Yesterday at Dirt Country, I witnessed the worst "flag crew" in history. First of all, On a track that is over a mile in length they had 5 total flaggers (including the finish line and guy turning the 2 board) and two of those were 15 yards apart. The bask straight has two very small jumps and is at least 300 yards long and had ZERO flaggers. That straight is between two ponds and is completely hidden from sight by 6 foot tall cattails. If someone goes down, no one would see them.
One of the "flaggers" was a young lady setting on a chair about 30 feet from the edge of the track, When someone would crash, she would not even stand up and start "waving" her flag from the chair. It was ridiculous at best.
The fact that DC has been around for more then 35 years and this is still happening is reprehensible.
Of course I am going to mention the AMA. Nope, Never seen a single AMA rep again. Like I said, been racing there for more then 35 years, Im sure DC has signed up more AMA member over the years then all other track combined. They just DONT CARE.
Something MUST be done

Dear, AMA
Take the money that you WASTED last week advertising for people to join the AMA while they are at Loretta's...duh, they are already members... and create a training class for AMA promoters on how to properly design, build and operate a motocross track. THIS must include a session on track officials including flaggers, gate operation, Referee's and scorers.

Dear track Owners,
Take some F'ing pride in what you offer, Hire a trained crew, Build a safe, competitive track... take care of that track...

Dear worthless "Parent"
When you take your little brat to the track, Don't let the little bastard ride WFO through the dusty pits with no helmet.

Oh yeah... Dear track owner...
WATER THE F'ING PITS. Because some of your clientele are worthless, mouth breathing, inbreeds that would rather smoke a cigarette and drink their Bush Light, then watch there own kids.

If I was ever a promoter...I would prolly be looking you up with one exception...clean words when working for me. Straight forward honest words...but clean.

Reactions: TBO
I did clean it up ALOT. Trust me, yesterday the filter was turned OFF.
The new softer, gentler side of CK1 now has to mention a positive. Yesterday the track was again maintained better then I have ever seen it. The dirt was beautiful. Now if they would just till-up the starting line and drop a couple gallons of water on it, it would be even better.

And yes, I am officially referring to myself in third person for the rest of the week.

For the issue at Dirt Country, I'd suggest that people call the AMA and voice their concerns.

Bahahahahahahahah.

Omg is it snowing out ?? Because pitracer got real entertaining today.

And are you sure that number isn't a greedy greedy $0.99/minute '1-900' number?

Last edited:
John is right, it's protocol to voice your concerns to the AMA. Parents call them all the time, then they do call the Promotor to cover the issues at hand.

It is right to call the AMA and/or the given sanctioning body...but it's like with our government...when do you reach a point where protocol isn't working that you have to take another route to make things right?

It's always right to find the promoter on race day and/or the ref.

I appreciate your passion Knox...although obnoxious...it is honest. I get it.

We should never have to worry about flaggers on a national level...you would think those flaggers would be legit...right? It happens...no excuses.

The only thing I know for sure...is that nearly all the tracks I work for...flagging is improved/addressed/worked on every race...some times very small steps...sometimes big. Yes, we also don't get the job done at times when we can't afford not to. No excuses.

Track safety...on or off...falls on all of our shoulders.

Well trained, and attentive flaggers would be nice in an ideal world................ however when the worlds best race at Washougal at an AMA national and the flagger is on the wrong side of the track, seemingly unconcerned and Trey Canard is on his ass hidden by a blind jump and scared shitless to pick up his bike we may be asking to much of Dirt Country and other local tracks. It would take a massive rider safety initiative by the AMA to change the current paradigm.

Well trained, and attentive flaggers would be nice in an ideal world................ however when the worlds best race at Washougal at an AMA national and the flagger is on the wrong side of the track, seemingly unconcerned and Trey Canard is on his ass hidden by a blind jump and scared shitless to pick up his bike we may be asking to much of Dirt Country and other local tracks. It would take a massive rider safety initiative by the AMA to change the current paradigm.

This is the most recent incident I was thinking of when I referred to flagging on the national level. There is absolutely no excuse why flagging shouldn't be top notch on a national level. I have way more confidence in many of the flaggers we use than what I have seen at times on a national level through media...not actual race attendance.

LOL. Knox was in such a good mood, and smiling at DC yesterday. Obviously, Mrs. Knox was not nice to Chris Sunday night, and only gave him a pop tart on his way out the door to work today. So now he is irritated and wanting to VENT.

Knox and I really need to buy Holly Hills Golf Course......its just growing over now, and would be a great piece of land for a track, has plenty of parking, and even still has a sports bar that is open to the public. Sounds like a perfect place for a track.

Johnny, see if you can get a price and we will go with it.
Of course I was happy yesterday. I was in my element, with my son, on a beautiful day... Nothing could be better.
Well, besides the 3 lbs. of dust I couched up on the way home. Pitbikes are the devil.

Back