Memorable Ohio Amatuer MX Races

Strouble

PR Addict
Was driving a big truck at work and got to thinkin...this weekend is gonna be sweet. Started thinking about the biggest or most stand out races at Malvern like the Tanner Stine benefit race where I seen the largest attendance ever at the Vern National with an AWESOME and moving sight of 200+ riders taking a slow lap that day behind the checkered flag in honor of Tanner.

Or the one weekend on a fluke Friday night over 450 riders showed up because it was the first nice day of the year and finishing the last Moto about 3:30 am.

Or the race that it rained so hard the main lower track areas were flooded in 2-3 foot of water and the track was cut down to lap time of about 40 seconds on a dry day but was taking the riders much longer. This was way back like 14-15 years ago in my first year flagging.

Or the days when Malvern would have upwards of 30 races per season and fill the place up every time just about.

Then I started thinking about other races like OIR Pro Days in the Hand Era.

Then the Battle races and so on...I'm excited for OHIO MX. To see Malvern ALIVE this weekend is gonna be relaxing to gaze upon. See ya there!

Roost is down right now...bent some things up at MX 213. Gonna make it down Saturday night only unless I don't have to work and of course Sunday.

Buuurrrrraaaapppppp!!!!!'

Was not the "event" that the battle races were for sure, but in the late 80s and early 90s Kenworthy's consistently drew 600 to 700 riders for their 5 local races. You always had guys from Ohio, Indiana, Michigan, and Kentucky there for the races. The gates were always close to full if not having qualifying motos in the C class. Never not a ton of fast guys.

Yeah, those Kenworthy days were cool. Can't recall that Suzuki team out of Dayton, but seemed like they had a rider in or two or three in every class. Expecially the A classes... Oh the parties and times at the National...

I remember the days of Honda Hills Friday night series races. Would have 2 large gates of 125 C...

The OMA has definately pumped some vibe back in Ohio MX. Things seem to deifnately be gaining steam. Can't wait to see what the years to follow bring... :)

Wow... Kenworthy's! I cut my teeth there in the B class in the early to mid 90's and remember having two groups of 125 B and 250 B with more than 30 on each gate. I'm also thinking there were 3 groups in the C classes.

Might have been because of the location, or it was a national track. Let's face it, that track ranked in my top 5 all time best even though it had next to zero elevation change.

Would we even be allowed to build a dirty dozen now? Seems as though with the trend if we were to replicate that section at just about any of our local tracks the boo boo box would need to be mandatory for open practice.

In 1997, we had just shy of 1000 sign-ups on Amateur day of National weekend. I could never get my head around why sign-up there always took so long. I had many long discussions with Don and the sign-up crew to get it more streamlined. I usually brought a fold-up lawn chair to the sign-up line! THAT was funny!

I am glad to hear about the healthy turnouts that are happening. Good track, GREAT prep and good organization.

We don't need another dirty dozen, but it sure would be fun!

Kenworthy's never flowed as well when they turned it around backwards and the jumps sucked when they ran it in reverse.

Was not the "event" that the battle races were for sure, but in the late 80s and early 90s Kenworthy's consistently drew 600 to 700 riders for their 5 local races. You always had guys from Ohio, Indiana, Michigan, and Kentucky there for the races. The gates were always close to full if not having qualifying motos in the C class. Never not a ton of fast guys.

Yep! I only raced at Kenworthy's a couple times, but I still have a trophy (like 3rd place I think) from racing 125C at Kenworthy's in 88 or 89. I remember I felt like I was at a National, had never been to a race with that many people before.

I know most of you aren't into Vintage Bikes but I'll tell you --- if you want to have fun at a huge awesome motorcycling event go the Mid Ohio Vintage Days. You don't have to be a vintage bike lunatic to go have fun and just see all the stuff there.

Yep! I only raced at Kenworthy's a couple times, but I still have a trophy (like 3rd place I think) from racing 125C at Kenworthy's in 88 or 89. I remember I felt like I was at a National, had never been to a race with that many people before.

I know most of you aren't into Vintage Bikes but I'll tell you --- if you want to have fun at a huge awesome motorcycling event go the Mid Ohio Vintage Days. You don't have to be a vintage bike lunatic to go have fun and just see all the stuff there.
I ended up skipping Kenworthy's practice on race day though I remember after I had been there a few times... Didn't help me one bit sloshing around in practice and wearing myself out scrapping the mud off...right, no power washer back then for me...

On this Vintage dealio, what do they consider Vintage? Some would consider a 2005 KX250 smoker vintage, but not thinking "Vintage" folks do...

I was the king of late practice at Kenworthys. Let all the practices run in the mud, go out for late practice and the track was great. Nice lines and you could jump everything. Probably why I suck in the mud today.....but, oh well.....I always hated mud.

I was the king of late practice at Kenworthys. Let all the practices run in the mud, go out for late practice and the track was great. Nice lines and you could jump everything. Probably why I suck in the mud today.....but, oh well.....I always hated mud.
Yeah, I hate it until I'm already muddy and wet. Well, except when on a MX track and/or I then have to clean the bike.

So loved being the first moto or near the top of the 2nd set of motos... Oh yeah baby.... Let the C rider scamper... ;)

Dragon back?.... Widow maker?...

That section of the track... starting with the dirty dozen, then the dragon's back, and on to the widow maker is deff. my most favorite section on any track.

One of my fondest memories... my brother stops me on about the second lap of practice to inform me that Sellards, Dunnaway, and Burkhart had just tripled into the Dirty dozen. I nodded my head and twisted it. I came up a little short but it was smooth enough to feel legit and at that point I felt like I had arrived.

One of my favorite Ohio races, and tracks for the matter, had to be when the Ohio State Championship race made a comeback and Drew Wolfe held it out at his old GP MX style track. That is one of my all time favorite tracks and the race drew a big crowd.

One of my favorite Ohio races, and tracks for the matter, had to be when the Ohio State Championship race made a comeback and Drew Wolfe held it out at his old GP MX style track. That is one of my all time favorite tracks and the race drew a big crowd.

Mike I remember going to that race. Got lost getting there. Only time I raced that track.

Back