Sunday practices

Sure we are friends, alls good on my end. Look at the benefit practice at OIR on August 31. Malvern racing Saturday and TV land is racing Sunday, so don't tell me it not going to hurt both turnouts. Not trying to make this OMA vs CRA.

This seem the norm today to practice on top of races that are close to each other. Why??

It may, but let's say it's an even split between them at 100 riders a piece for each location. If 2 of them decide to not run an event since the other one is, my gut tells me that track running the single event is only going to get 200 riders max if that many. The other riders don't have a track running thier perference (practice, OMA series points race, or CRA series points race) so they stay home... Money in the sport lost and given to the local bar or ???

I think the economy still has some influence in it, it is a very expensive sport. Not all parents have the money to buy and maintain a suitable bike as much as they'ed like to.

True to an extent. Peeps are spending money. It's just not as concentrated on one thing like MX which in many cases would take it all. It is an expensive sport, but so it any other sport to an extent... Depends on your drive, focus, and inolvement in it...

It may, but let's say it's an even split between them at 100 riders a piece for each location. If 2 of them decide to not run an event since the other one is, my gut tells me that track running the single event is only going to get 200 riders max if that many. The other riders don't have a track running thier perference (practice, OMA series points race, or CRA series points race) so they stay home... Money in the sport lost and given to the local bar or ???

So you are saying that practice on Sunday is hurting local race turnout, thank you.

If things keep going the way they are we could end up losing a couple really good promoters in the next few years.

I'm not sure how practice on a Sunday hurts a race on Saturday? I can see the same day, same sanction hurting itself maybe. You either love the thrill of the race or hanging out practice day. We skip the Saturday practices and race the Sunday races to save some bucks unless it's our local facility and we can slide home. So I suppose it could be reversed and folks practice Saturday and skip Sunday to save bucks. It's just a different world now a days guys! Our lives have crammed more working hours into our schedule, more activities to attend, if your kids play other sports that's a full time job anymore. What occurs during the week also affects the weekend schedule for me. 4 strokes are high dollar, gas prices are high, overall living is high. It comes down to money and time and what you want to do with it, race or practice. We choose race. Unfortunately I need practice and should not race. Lol. True!

So you are saying that practice on Sunday is hurting local race turnout, thank you.

If things keep going the way they are we could end up losing a couple really good promoters in the next few years.
I didn't write thatup right. Sure, it is possible that having a Sunday practice may hurt the attendence of another tracks Sunday race, but overall I think it's a loss in that instead of having 300 riders for the weekend (100 at each track), you only get 250 riders total. All my numbers are hypothetical and although my example would confirm your theory that Sunday Practice hurts race turnout, it also hurts the sport overall as it reduces the # or total riders as well as income for the promoters. Idle equipment costs the promoters $ since they are not making any...

I'm not sure how practice on a Sunday hurts a race on Saturday? I can see the same day, same sanction hurting itself maybe. You either love the thrill of the race or hanging out practice day. We skip the Saturday practices and race the Sunday races to save some bucks unless it's our local facility and we can slide home. So I suppose it could be reversed and folks practice Saturday and skip Sunday to save bucks. It's just a different world now a days guys! Our lives have crammed more working hours into our schedule, more activities to attend, if your kids play other sports that's a full time job anymore. What occurs during the week also affects the weekend schedule for me. 4 strokes are high dollar, gas prices are high, overall living is high. It comes down to money and time and what you want to do with it, race or practice. We choose race. Unfortunately I need practice and should not race. Lol. True!
ha ha...I'm the opposite. I wanna race, but practice...mostly. I think you in another way said the same thing I have. It's not just one thing "hurting" the sport. It's a bunch of little things together, but if you "fix" one of those little things in some cases, it hurts the sport in another way. Could be worse or not as bad. Depends on the thing, the track, the rider, the weather, your momma, your momma's momma, you daddy's uncles' first cousin twice removed's momma, etc.

I'm just glad all I have to do for the most part is figure out if I wanna race, practice, or have a drink. Thank your local promoters. You have it easy as a rider.

So perhaps the track owners/promoters need to work a bit harder to generate the revenue they desire................. this Sunday I had to unpack my truck Sunday morning, looked at the weather forecast Saturday and planned to rice the "CLIFF" was very surprised that it was closed due to wet weather. I grew up in a different time when Motocross was an all weather sport. reminded me of a high school girlfriend, a couple of drops in the panty liner and we were shut down for the weekend. I'm sure JO missed out on a significant amount of revenue, was the track perfect, probably not but like my high school friend, I would have rode it hard and had a GREAT time...........

Promoter can not go forward on a day like that. He has too much expense in diesel fuel, its hard on equipment, etc all for what? A small crowd. Not worth staying open. JO can take that day and actually take his family out to dinner or something since he closed up. And in return not lose money.

If what everyone is stating is true......Malvern Saturday night races should be PACKED! Practice all morning and early afternoon, sign up and race Saturday night, and go home. Gas to one event, practice, race, gas home. You still had Friday night to do something and all day Sunday. And should have put about 3 hours on your hour meter.

I am a racer. I cant figure out why anyone would want to spend $550 on boots, $500 on a helmet, another $300 on gear, have a $1000 exhaust on a machine that they could not ride to the full potential stock, another $200 in trick colored parts, and $200 on graphics and numbers for a bike that really needs no numbers on it. Save over half that money and go race with the money you say you don't have to go racing.

So perhaps the track owners/promoters need to work a bit harder to generate the revenue they desire................. this Sunday I had to unpack my truck Sunday morning, looked at the weather forecast Saturday and planned to rice the "CLIFF" was very surprised that it was closed due to wet weather. I grew up in a different time when Motocross was an all weather sport. reminded me of a high school girlfriend, a couple of drops in the panty liner and we were shut down for the weekend. I'm sure JO missed out on a significant amount of revenue, was the track perfect, probably not but like my high school friend, I would have rode it hard and had a GREAT time...........

You would have left pissed off without unloading. I may have missed significant revenue this past weekend, but I kept future revenue on track.

To give you an idea, we had it ripped, and it rained a 1/4" in an hour and a half.

Ok, I went down to grade off the low spots Monday night, and some of it was still a soft nasty mess, do you understand now?

Do the track insurance companies have any issues with weather conditions? Just curious since the weather thing came up.

Not really, at least not yet, track conditions don't come up. Ponds, fences, paddock areas, that stuff is on there.

I actually thought that would have been an insurance thing, wouldn't hurt my feelings either way. They call em dirt bikes not mud bikes. lol

I haven't rode 1 practice day any where this year so this doesn't apply to me lol.. hell, I might have ridden 5 to 10 practice laps on race days at Malvern. I usually have to work so I can't get there till practice is over..

Work is my reason for not practicing any day
Including Sunday.

Yeah, works been my reason for not getting to a track in two months. Seems my boss dosen't want me to ride anymore. lol Finally got a weekend off though and it couldn't have come at a better time!

Hmmm.....Ive rode BC when it was POURING rain and muddy! I didnt have an issue. Ask JO, he will tell you. It couldnt have been that bad!

Of course it paid for my day at the track too. Sharc is a betting man!

Hmmm.....Ive rode BC when it was POURING rain and muddy! I didnt have an issue. Ask JO, he will tell you. It couldnt have been that bad!

Of course it paid for my day at the track too. Sharc is a betting man!
ha ha ha yep, but the track was packed in by then, at least most of it. I would have paid double to watch you creep around Saturday.

Your wrong, running on top of each other definitely hurts. It's killing local races. In north eastern Ohio it seems like one track is racing and three are practicing on the same weekend. It dilutes the racing.

Two schools of thought:

1.Practice doesn't hurt race turnout because some people don't want to race.

2. Practice does hurt it. Corner the market and eleiminate all practice days and force people to only get seat time by racing.

I think both schools of thought are difficult and we wouldn't see any difference in turnout either way we went.

Two schools of thought:

1.Practice doesn't hurt race turnout because some people don't want to race.

2. Practice does hurt it. Corner the market and eleiminate all practice days and force people to only get seat time by racing.

I think both schools of thought are difficult and we wouldn't see any difference in turnout either way we went.
I think the second option would hurt ohio mx badly, a lot of people would quit riding or just run woods. I know I would, got my own hare scramble track to ride so I doubt I'd give out anymore money to any track. As far as mx, I'd just build a few jumps on my turn track to get my mx fix.

I might have mentioned this before, I have a friend who, at one time, owned the Las Vegas Karting Center. They would have TRIPLE the people for a Friday night "test and tune" than they ever had for any race day. Some people just want to ride, period. Better race turn out is fewer classes, faster race days. Just my .02

Back