Steel City Gone?

Since the fall of 2011 we have been forced to spend over 100'000.00 dollars on new DER guidelines . The sad thing is you would never ever know by looking at it because so much of it is in engineering costs and fines . The new regulations require you to have a NPDES permit( national earth moving permit) if you disturb more than 1 acre of ground . Under Reagan it was 25 acres , Clinton got it changed to 10 acres , in July of 2011 Obama changed it to 1 acre . They have also made the stormed water management laws much more tougher. Today anyone can cause major problems for a track just by making a couple of well placed phone calls to the right agencies . They are now at the point where the laws don't even make any sense anymore . It's always been smart to control erosion on your property to help save your dirt but they have now gone way to far . It's just a matter of time before they show up and even god can't help you when they do. In 25 years as a promoter I've never seen it so bad , they really have lost there minds this time and are on real mission to put a stop to outdoor riding of all kinds . It really is sad .
Thanks for sharing the info. 99% haven't a clue! But their 401k is good so all's good!!

Such a shame.. heard there's pics floating around of a completely leveled version of steel city..

Yes steel city may go. But iron man is new. There are some new tracks popping up. Ironman took a few years to get approval because they got every business resident and councilman on board first. That was was they said at the regional anyway.

907, you are absolutely correct. As a local city councilman, I question MANY federal grants and what is tied to them. I have voted against taking some money for the simple administration cost associated with the grant. But it is hard to not take federal tax dollars that belong to our citizens. If we don't take it, another community is going to get the benefit of our citizens tax dollars.

It is ridiculous the restrictions they place on grants, and the overhead in admin that must take place for a federal grant. Into a second term now, I could write a book on the stupidity of the things I have seen from the federal and state governments.

Since the fall of 2011 we have been forced to spend over 100'000.00 dollars on new DER guidelines . The sad thing is you would never ever know by looking at it because so much of it is in engineering costs and fines . The new regulations require you to have a NPDES permit( national earth moving permit) if you disturb more than 1 acre of ground . Under Reagan it was 25 acres , Clinton got it changed to 10 acres , in July of 2011 Obama changed it to 1 acre . They have also made the stormed water management laws much more tougher. Today anyone can cause major problems for a track just by making a couple of well placed phone calls to the right agencies . They are now at the point where the laws don't even make any sense anymore . It's always been smart to control erosion on your property to help save your dirt but they have now gone way to far . It's just a matter of time before they show up and even god can't help you when they do. In 25 years as a promoter I've never seen it so bad , they really have lost there minds this time and are on real mission to put a stop to outdoor riding of all kinds . It really is sad .

Npdes, national pollutant discharge elimination. The 1acre has been in Ohio since 2005, that's the trigger to require contractors to apply for the general stormwater through 0epa. Within that permit there is a requirement for a storm water pollution prevention plan. This plan is what most places will need, which is basically a plan to either reduce erosion or to capture the sediment from erosion. I know big construction company's that spent way over that amount to stay compliant.

I'm not an Obama supporter, but to blame the 1 acre rule on Obama is a bit far fetched. As a matter of fact I think Clinton's reign is when the EPA sued the nrdc, and that when all hell broke loose, and everyone started having to pay attention to the npdes. The EPA is the unchecked branch of government, they do what they want when they want. It's ludicrous.

So if you plant corn on the infield of a track, does it then qualify as a "farm" therefore not required to adhere to the crazy EPA laws? I mean, farms till thousands of acres and they don't have to have a EPA permit with silt fence all the way around.

10540921_10203847350878363_3829230461401481907_n.jpg

Since it got me thinking... I just called our area EPA office and asked them directly about the "Disturbed" land BS. Apparently all farm land falls outside the control of such laws. The soil conservation group tries to "control" farm land through the use of no-till activities and the use of "buffer zones" from the disturbed area and water run off (creeks). Farmer are encouraged to have grass buffers around all fields to any watershed. This is done to control sediment and chemical runoff. SO, if you are in a zoned "farmland" and you have these buffers, an argument can be made.
Now of course with it being a government agency, im sure they can find several "issues" to shut anything down, but the guy I talked to was very helpful and even offered help to review any areas free of charge. Being the cynic that I am, I of course assume that would just raise a red flag but who knows.

Sad. I looked at the satellite image of the land and there are actually two bodies of water within range that could be argued. I also noticed a rather large "junk" yard equidistant to those bodies. The one body does have some resemblance/structure of a reservoir. I've seen what the EPA can do to private property when the neighbors around them are not happy....it's a total headache...and throwing down a commodity at this point is a waste. We've been hearing about this closure for years.

Back