Stewart Into ward jr.

GeorgiePorgie

PR Founding Father
Ball and stick radio shows are trying to debate this topic and they really haven't the first clue about anything other than ball and stick sports.

Stewart hitting that ward jr kid under caution is a blatant disregard for safety. It shows his typical hot-headedness.

I doubt he truly attempted to kill the kid. But for him to get that close and Lose more than his temper (lose control of that sprint car) is ridiculous. 9 other drivers safely maneuvered around him.

Involuntary manslaughter.

Stewart cant seperate passion from danger. I guarantee that New York county prosecutor will be going after mr Stewart.

Ball and stick guys are saying "ward shouldn't get out of the car"

Well evey dirt track race I've been to watching my uncle race, gettig out and throwing a helmet or wrench or fire hydrant at the guy who took you out is fairly common. And Stewart screwed up royally and ended up killing a driver.

There were other drivers that didn't hit him but Ward didn't lunge at those drivers either. The way I see it he should have stayed in the car. And as Double D mentioned, he was wearing black at night which made him harder to see. This is a touchy subject but its easy to see it both ways. Of course all of the Stewart haters will only see it one way. I have never really cared for the guy but I do think it was unintentional. It is hard enough to see out of a sprint car let alone looking for a guy running down the track with a black fire suit on.

Plain and simple...stay in your car! There is nothing to gain by getting out and pointing or throwing your helmet, gloves, etc at the driver that you think wrecked you.

Very true.

Kenny Wallace was just on 92.3 the fan and explained it pretty clearly.

After hearing what wallace had to say, one can only believe it was a tragic accident.

1. He got out of his car before a complete caution lap had been completed.
2. 3 Other drivers almost hit him before tony did.
3. In sprint cars you really don't have the greatest vision to your right with the wing, and the mud guard.
4. The rear tire sticks out about 2 feet further than the front wheel, the kid probably forgot about that part and got clipped, as he was running down towards stewarts car and pointing.

These guys just need to stay in their car and take it to the pits. Tradgedy for such a young kid.

exactly we have all raced and at times blew our stacks that being said dont go down into the racing grove in a night race wearing black and expect not to get run over!! if you really have to do something, handle it in the pits!!

Tragic accident period. That kid was going down the race track. If any of you have been on a dirt track at night, some don't have the greatest lighting, the groove is black, and the shadows and glare are some times pretty bad. Ward being in a black fire suit did not help. I think it looks like Tony may have caught something last second, and that is when the car jerked. No way Tony did it on purpose.

What I do think....in the world we live in today. 20 year old kid gets in a racing wreck with Tony Stewart (yes, totally a open wheel incident). He thinks he is going to make the ESPN highlight real for being the guy to pull a Kurt Busch and point or flip him off (the big NASCAR star), and make a name for himself. I bet all tracks and sanctions put stiff penalties on guys getting out of their cars.

He had no business getting out of his car that quickly, not to mention running down the track. Sprint cars are not made for slowing down quickly. It takes them a good 2-3 laps to get down to caution speed without stalling. As said previously, it was a really bad combination of events that led to this (black suit, poorly lit, blue groove, young guy, etc.) and it is very unfortunate. Guys get out of cars all of the time to throw a helmet or point a finger, but they do not run toward a car in a black suit on a slick track. I feel bad for the family and also for Tony Stewart as he will have to live with this the rest of his life.

I found it a bit odd Stewart planned on the race at WG up until shortly before it started . Most likely someone else made that decison for him , or strongly advised him not to do so . Most agree not racing was the right decison.

I am not sure. Tony is paid MILLIONS to be in the #14 car. People expect him in that car.

I don't think many people expect him in the car in less than 24 hrs from that incident . Would he have been mentally sharp and focused...doubt it.
Personally out of respect it was the right thing to do . As for next weeks race I agree , get back in the car as you're a driver and owner with people Counting on you .

I'm chiming in just because I enjoy the two legal aspects of this situation.

Criminally, I doubt Stewart will face any charges. New York follows the Model Penal Code; the elements for second degree manslaughter are as follows: People v. Licitra, 393 N.E.2d 456
1) Creation of a substantial and unjustifiable risk;
2) Unawareness and disregard of that risk; and
3) Death
*Keeping in mind that criminal negligence is much different than ordinary negligence that exists in rear-end collision type scenarios.

However, the almost undoubtedly civil suit could run Stewart and the racetrack a couple million. Here are the elements to a basic negligence suit:
1) Duty;
2) Breach;
3) Causation; and
4) Damages

You can bank on that civil suit settling for an undisclosed sum.

When i crash. First reaction is to get out of the way. When it clear i then get my bike. Tough story. Tough lesson for a young kid to learn. Hopefully some rules and lesons will result and save some lives or injuries.

Seriously? A criminal case? If he IS indicted somehow, a student attorney should be able to win that case. It's terrible that a kid was killed, but he had absolutely no biz in the middle of the track, no matter how common the scenario is. Nobody that has ever raced anything including a tricycle would ever hit and/or kill another competitor on purpose. It was an accident is all. There may be some civil heat over it however.

Many years ago I was involved in a fatal street bike accident. I hit and killed a pedestrian on St. Patricks Day that never even looked before he walked out into the road. I had maybe 20 feet before I hit the guy. I felt terrible about it, but there's nothing you can do when there's a drunken man that appears right in the street. I didn't even have time to think or react. A new prosecutor at the time was trying to put me in jail for 5-7 years over it, even after I gave a voluntary BAC test right at the scene which came back zeroes. Fortunately the Grand Jury didn't indict me for the incident, but I know I would have easily won the case if they had. I was thinking that the family was going to sue the insurance co., but the drunkenman was clearly at fault, and I never was charged or sued, thank God. --L*64

Back