Battle of Ohio round 2 in the Books

John250

PR Founding Father
Well, back home from another great Battle of Ohio series race at Malvern. Got home about 11:40 last night. They still had about 7 or 8 motos to go when I pulled out at about 8:00. I want to thank Jason and his crew at Malvern. In my opinion they did a great job on the track. Track conditions where great all day long. It was 85 degrees out, and a slight breeze. If they would not have watered as much as they did, it would have dried out bad.......and people would have complained. No issues here, they kept the track great for everyone.

Chilitown got done about 7:30. They have a lot shorter track, so the motos don't take as long, and did not have to fire the water truck up. So tough to compare the two.

Just food for thought, and I am sure that after BC the whole Battle Series will get debated. But JO, Jason, and Jeremy have done a GREAT job getting the Battle Series going. CTMX had 633 entries, and I think I counted something like 551 (or something close to that) yesterday. Obviously, the series is catching on, and I think can be one of those must go to races, that people from other states start traveling to more.

Thinking long term on the event (don't get upset JO). The 4 wheelers are about 6 gate drops, all classes combined. They had 54 4 wheelers at CTMX, Malvern had 88 4 wheelers. They would run, then prep the track for bikes. Would it make more sense to run the Battle races bikes only? Save some gate drops and prep perhaps? Then possibly have a Battle series for 4 wheelers at Malvern and BC? Stand alone series? Because if more bikes and 4 wheelers start coming, what's the day going to look like? Just food for thought.

Once again, it was a great race, if Malvern brings in anymore, not sure where they are going to park. Looking forward to the last round at BC for sure. I've been trying to pass the word around in south west Ohio, but does not seem to be getting too many D11 riders to the series. They don't know what they are missing. Great races so far for sure.

One other thing, awesome job, Connie already the points up this morning! I have to agree with Pit though. If quads were out, I do believe it could be an even bigger event.

Take the quads, and run the first round of the "Quad Battle Series", the day after the Quad National at BC. You would have a huge quad turn out. Then run a Quad only final, 2nd round at Malvern. I think it could work out well for Malvern and BC. CTMX in my opinion, is not much of a quad race anyway.

Yes, was good times. Great race track all day. I skipped my last 30+ moto for two reasons, I couldn't get a start (my 2nd 40+ start pissed me off so bad, I couldn't get my sorry arse out of there soon enough. Nobody's fault, but my own) and I had been on the road and up early every morning since Friday. I was just tired. However, I enjoyed the day a bunch. Ol' blazy came out to play making it nice for spectating, but tried to wreck havoc on the track. Jason you did a great conquering blazy. Like the track for sure. Will be back...

I'm not certain about running a seperate series for quads, but some thoughts thaty have been touted around the pits are moving like the quads AND 50's to Saturday. I see pros and cons to this. I also had a thought of running a few moto ones on Saturday, but this requires racers to be there both days. The previous is the lesser of the two evils I suppose, but I know no matter what you do, someone else that DOES NOT OWN A TRACK has the "simple" answer. I do not envy Jason and the Jeremy's problem, but am confindent they are already working on a solution and will get to one... With the Saturday moto thing and not to impact the evenings events, may need to cut practice a little or move it to an earlier time slot.

Pro class was fun to watch. There was a Cali kid fresh off Canadian Nationals on his way home that is just stopping at races on the way home. Curious to get his thoughts on the race and competition yesterday...

As for looking forward tot he Battle at BC, a hells to the yeah! x2... Let's just say I know the track fairly well. Still doesn't make me fast, but makes me comfortable for the most part. Gotta work on some starts...AND corners. Not sure what I can gain on in the next 2 weeks, but we'll give it a shot... I know my winning days are probably over (especially given the current 30+ A/B and 40+ OMA class formats), but I need not be racing for the last few spots. May not have a choice.

Great times. I'd still come if you left everything as is. So glad to be racing again. Well, this last weekend and in two weeks anyway. :)

One other thing, awesome job, Connie already the points up this morning! I have to agree with Pit though. If quads were out, I do believe it could be an even bigger event.

Take the quads, and run the first round of the "Quad Battle Series", the day after the Quad National at BC. You would have a huge quad turn out. Then run a Quad only final, 2nd round at Malvern. I think it could work out well for Malvern and BC. CTMX in my opinion, is not much of a quad race anyway.

She had them up last night!

I dunno. I'm not so down on the quads. I think some bike guys have their head stuck up their... Nevermind what I think as I figure you are... We just need to find a common solution. Could be a bigger turnout of quads for a Quad Only Battle, but may not. Not your cash and fuel burnt up, so you're not worried about it. Plus flaggers, admin, etc...

Personally I have more of an issue with the 50's and mini-quads than anything. They for one need to be a timed moto. 7 min. plus a lap. Maybe even 6 and cut the track. Well, at least for the slowest classes. The top 50's kids are pretty quick.

In the end, no matter what you do with all the proposals of "excluding" someone, you're punishing someone for riding what they ride. Can't we all just get along? Obviously not....

or how about quads saturday morning, bike practice saturday afternoon, bikes only sunday? heard some others talking about that at Malvern :p
Good thought. Not trying to be devils advocate here, so keep it coming, but when do the quads get their practice day/time in on the track? Flaggers for 2 days?

A two day event to some extent seems to be the common solution on the surface. Add the 50's in there?? Most of them like flatter (4 foots ruts vs. 3 inch ruts) anyway I would think. ???

As you may know, just about every solution creates another problem. Finding that solution that creates a lesser problem than the problem is solved for EVERYBODY would be the goal. Not sure we can accomplish that, but 'tis the goal here I would think....

quads cvould practice before there motos even, prqactice then races to follow, with bikes practice 3-7 run peewee bikes and all quads classes saturday morning then all 65-up bikes sunday maybe 65 beg saturday as well

Why not combine the classes? 4 in the atv micro, 4 in atv mini jr, 2 in the atv super mini shifter (WTF?) 3 separate motos for 10 riders? Talk about wasting time.....

Why not combine the classes? 4 in the atv micro, 4 in atv mini jr, 2 in the atv super mini shifter (WTF?) 3 separate motos for 10 riders? Talk about wasting time.....
Hey bro, valid point if the case, but tone it down a little. Hard to tell if you're just being a #%^%$ or just trying to relay a message. Talk in type can be taken incorrectly. I know this. I have PO'd many in work and play alike... Take it or leave it...

I tell you all what though, is this great or what? Peeps wanna hit these Battle races. This is proven not only by the attendence and riders at the events, but by the talk it gets. If peeps, well most anyway, didn't care about the series and its success, no one would be talking about it, well, mostly no one.

Great job OMA, promoters, Jeremy x2, and Jason!!!

Baby steps everyone. Don't want this baby growing up and leaving town...

I thought Jason did a great job with keeping the program flowing and great track prep. It was a long day and many people left before their second motos. I would suggest Saturday morning running quad practice and and 1st moto and then light track prep followed by a round of bike practice. Then quad second motos and then bike practice the rest of the day.

This way the quads get their own program that feels like part of the show and it could cut 1-2 hours off the entire program on Sunday. I parked beside a guy from PA and they left before one of his sons second motos. These problems will hold the races back from getting bigger and could possibly make turn outs smaller in the long run.

Cutting all of the laps down isn't the answer either. The races need to at least 4 laps and really should be 5. I know they HAD to cut the second motos in this case.

Promoters can do what they want, but the customers can also spend their money how and where they want. I thought Jason did an awesome job with the track and everything went smooth....it was just basic mathematics that were against him.

I have a go pro of the second 30+ moto I could upload. I messed up my go pro for the first moto. I'm a noob at that stuff and it's taking hours and hours on youtube. Something about I need to compress it first. Any help would be appreciated.

I should have posted this here instead of the rider count post.

Jason was full throttle all day Sunday. And I would like to let him know how much it was appreciated.

I will continue to support the +50 class, but going forward, because of the growing numbers and parking room I don't think you can't effectively have bikes and quads together at Malvern and maybe BC. I don't look forward to being squeezed into a camping spot, I like to hang out and relax when I'm not on the track. And I'm sure it's not cheep to lay out a parking/camping area. Chillitown has 1000 camp sites so room isn't an issue. Would like to see the seperation for the first two rounds. Then have the championship at Chillitown with quads and bikes. Friday practice, race Saturday, the others race Sunday.

I saw a lot of PR racers there. The 24/65 family, J250, M105, C955, Scoob, also meet JR Malvern for the first time.
Best race of the day in my opinion was Moto2 +40. KTM97 you had things wired. Every lap was worth watching.

Last edited:
We had a great weekend of riding and racing. Malvern was super fun and awesome to line up with 17 women. Yes the day was long for everyone. The biggest time loss I feel was practice. People if you have 2 practice tickets go out for 2 practices, not as many as you can get in. The oma had been following a pretty cool practice format so I was surprised when it was a little different yesterday. I am sure they had reasons why it was switched up but at any rate I am sure the problem will be fixed.

Best quote of the day from MX099 "the things you hear on the line with the women's gate" lol Sorry Rich haha

Gate drops at 1:40. My corner speed could use some work. Be nice. :)

Pro Open winner Jeff Gibson to my left.

Last edited:
micros and jr's were combined, sr. and shifter were in the other kids group.
My bad. Left the schedule on the trailer door....1 question though. Why is it that the smaller the oil injected (pw50) are never run after the quads? I don't have a kid riding those any more, but to me it seems logical to run those guys after the quads since it is nice and smooth? It would make that race go a little quicker (less kids getting stuck in ruts, crashing etc). 2 people asked about it at the riders meeting. Just curious....

Our first visit there also. The boy loved it. Track prep was primo.

Last edited:
Back