So, what's the Quad Excuse THIS week?

How about done by 430. With two practices in the morning, five laps per practice. Four laps per motos sounds about right.

How about done by 430. With two practices in the morning, five laps per practice. Four laps per motos sounds about right.

Yeah, you better stay home. However, if you want to attend what I have been building for all season, you may want to reconsider and settle for 1 practice and two 5 lappers, if your class is fast enough to get a 5 lap moto! We ran 5 laps both sets in April for the majority of classes.

Whatever. We will be done sooner. Don't fall in love with long morning practices though, if you require 2 - 15 minute northern Ohio practices you will be sorely disappointed. Racing before 10, done by 5:30. That's my goal. if you require more practice, we have a whole day set aside on Saturday.

Practices longer than 3-4 laps aren't necessary. If you can't figure it out by then, you probably won't. Maybe go to
the Saturday practice if you need more.

I personally do not like the idea of 2 lap practice on Sunday. For instance, the BC round, we are already into the football season, so will not be able to attend Saturday for practice. I would hope Matthew gets at least 4 laps of practice on Sunday morning. Big problem I saw at Malvern, were the fact people were pulling off the track, and pulling right back onto the start straight for another practice. Should have been stopped, and practice tickets collected.

I expect to finish late on big races. That's not my issue at all.

Do you really think one lap will make a difference in a race where the conditions can completely 180° from morning practice?

BTW, practice this Sunday, August 17th, 11-5pm.

JO, why are you diverting attention from the fact that there were quad classes (at the biggest races in Ohio) with only 1 or 2 entries? If this is seriously fine, then please make an old bike class so I can come collect my trophy!

If you really want to change the topic to practice ---- that's easily solved. Again, no quads at this series frees up plenty of time from practice so you can get to racing sooner.

Make the Quad Battle Series a different series as John259 posted, with more quad classes and some limited bike support classes if needed just to make it financially viable.

There is just no way around it -- trying to make the largest races in Ohio is great, but when you have 600-700 racers over 36 classes it just needs to be separated a bit. There is a reason why LL Area qualifiers run over two days -- you just can't take all those classes and put them into one day with that big of a crowd.

Last edited:
JO, why are you diverting attention from the fact that there were quad classes (at the biggest races in Ohio) with only 1 or 2 entries? If this is seriously fine, then please make an old bike class so I can come collect my trophy!

If you really want to change the topic to practice ---- that's easily solved. Again, no quads at this series frees up plenty of time from practice so you can get to racing sooner.

Make the Quad Battle Series a different series as John259 posted, with more quad classes and some limited bike support classes if needed just to make it financially viable.

You caught on, nothing gets past kreps! In my eyes, I am afraid to go down the road of different days, because I have experience with the multiday events in terms of the expenses. It does cost more to run two days like that, and you are running two days, when I think we can do it in one.

Here's the biggest hiccup I have seen with the 2 day model. or at least when I play devils advocate it is. When do we have the practice day? You cannot run a limited 12-13 class schedule on Saturday, and still have enough Saturday practice time for the Sunday classes. I don't think Friday is worth it. Right now we are still seeing half the crowd showing up for Saturday and the other half coming in Sunday. I don't think that many will come Friday. Maybe 100-150ish.

"...the whole Malvern staff busted their butts, and everyone should be complementing you guys on how well you dealt with the crowd."

ok...I will...I thought the event was great! Nice job to the whole crew. This was our first battle race and we really enjoyed it. Long day, yes, but we expected that coming into the race. Place was buzzing and got to meet and hang with some great Vet riders who generally do not make it to Malvern. I thought the racing was awesome. Looking at the forecast coming into the w/e, I knew they would have to do track prep multiple times throughout the day to keep the dust down (which would lengthen the day). I thought Jason and crew did a great job here. Personally, I could have used that 4th lap 2nd moto (got hung up at gate, ruined my 2nd moto - but this beside the point)...but one less lap by no means lessened the enjoyment of the event. I'd say congrats to the crew on a very nice, enjoyable w/e!

Why not just run practice each morning for the race?

Saturday = quads/peewees/mini classes, and normal morning practice
Sunday = big bikes/vets and normal morning practice.

So instead of cramming 36 classes and 650 racers into one day you run 17 classes per day with normal morning practice. But, because of less classes morning practice will inherently be shorter also.

Also, quads sort of help the peewees as they flatten the track out for them.

Then you really try to grow it with even more marketing so you are approaching full gates on the classes each day.

It's been what? 3 years since the first Battle race at BC? So, this is where you've gotten. Two races in to this year and basically 600 racers! That's awesome! But -- change it to two day even like above for next season before it tips over and starts going down on attendance because it's so packed.

If the bike guys didn't take 2 hours to feel "comfortable" with practice, we could have been done waaaaay sooner. I didn't even run practice on Sunday........hmmmm, maybe we should cut out practice? I think its more reasonable then to cut 12% of your entries.

What does that mean?

It seemed like big bike after big bike had tons of practice. To add insult to injury, the announcer was calling for 85 practice to be in the staging areas when the A/B guys were on the track. We get down to staging and find that there were several flights of C classes yet to go. The staging worker was yelling at the 85's to make way for the big bikes and get out of the way. Before we even went on the track the 65's had started showing up and the C class practice still had not finished. I grabbed the track staging guy and told him to tell the announcer to quit calling the bikes down if they are not needed yet! What a mess. We finally get in front of gate for 85 practice and they roll the 65s out with us because they were running behind and decided that they were not running a separate practice for the 65s! How does this happen? The track workers said they were running out of time so they were going to run them together. The boy rode about 2 laps on the 85 and then jumped on the 65 for 2 laps. For what it is worth, 1 sight lap and gate drop is fine with me and the boy....

So instead of cramming 36 classes and 650 racers into one day you run 17 classes per day with normal morning practice. But, because of less classes morning practice will inherently be shorter also.

Then you really try to grow it with even more marketing so you are approaching full gates on the classes each day.

That seems to be the leading proposal from the Vet group, heres what we here from Mini parents (65 and up):

Quads on Saturday with Vets and 50s

All other bikes on Sunday!

Agreed. What a mess. Pull off, pull on. Not sure how you stop that stuff.

Come to the Cliff, you will see. We are practice Nazi's, have had a few arguments in practice time, but we are firm on the rules. Don't mis-interpret the rules. We have an order, you have a number sticker, we have a set procedure, no later practice, our crew is on time, please do so as well.

Wh

It's been what? 3 years since the first Battle race at BC? So, this is where you've gotten. Two races in to this year and basically 600 racers! That's awesome! But -- change it to two day even like above for next season before it tips over and starts going down on attendance because it's so packed.

What about running Saturday night at Malvern if the long day is a huge issue? Or Saturday ? And run until your done into the night.

Night racing would cut back on watering as the beating sun wouldn't be a factor.

That seems to be the leading proposal from the Vet group, heres what we here from Mini parents (65 and up):

Quads on Saturday with Vets and 50s

All other bikes on Sunday!

Here is a question for you. Look at your 50 numbers and your 65 junior numbers. 19 50 sr. and 22 65 jrs. I did not look to see how many ride both classes. Be careful splitting up 2 pretty big classes over 2 days....

My point being where do you draw the line on who races Saturday and Sunday? Its a toughie. This goes back to cutting classes, its ok, except for when its your class.

Back