So, what's the Quad Excuse THIS week?

ag
My point being where do you draw the line on who races Saturday and Sunday? Its a toughie. This goes back to cutting classes, its ok, except for when its your class.

Agreed, The real question is this, Let's say that you eliminated the quads all together, would bike attendance improve enough to offset the lost revenue of those people because it *might* shorten the day? How many people stay away because of the fear it might be a long day? One will never know unless something is tried.

I have been giving this a ton of thought and while nothing is set in stone I am leaning towards this format for next year. Practice Friday for bikes and quads. Saturday is race day for quads. My guess is they would easily be done by 2pm. 4pm till 9pm practice for bikes only. Sunday is race day for bikes. It would cost me about $2,000 more for the additional racing staff on Saturday but I think it would be a good investment to help insure the growth of the event.

The other thing we will most likely be changing for next years battle will be Saturday and Sunday morning practice. I think every rider should get out on the track for ONE four lap practice regardless of how classes you are racing. That's it, then we go racing. Jason

Last edited:
ag

Agreed, The real question is this, Let's say that you eliminated the quads all together, would bike attendance improve enough to offset the lost revenue of those people because it *might* shorten the day? How many people stay away because of the fear it might be a long day? One will never know unless something is tried.

That's all I was trying to say.

The true culprit at Malvern this week was big bike practice, both Saturday and Sunday.

First off, hats off to Jason and the Malvern crew on a great weekend, track was primo as usual. Extra things they brought in such as the pizza guy, ice cream guy, Monster, etc. was nice to have. Raffle was great, plenty of free stuff for everyone.

Granted, on Saturday we did not get there right at the start of practice at 10:00, but were there at noon. For our $25 practice fee my son got 2 12-minute practice sessions before it shut down. That's with keeping practice going an extra hour too. The problem was that the two big bike groups kept getting broken up into multiple groups, so two turned into five or six. Sat at the gate for a half hour waiting for the 85's to be able to go. I watched a group of 25 bikes go, and then a group of 18. If the gate now holds 33, why couldn't 33 practice at the same time?

Again on Sunday, went to practice when we were called and sat at the gate while I saw multiple big bike riders taking 2,3, and four practice sessions. I finally had enough and spoke to a track worker who got kinda shitty with me, saying they were racing multiple classes so had two tickets. Very well may be, but they certainly didn't have three or four tickets. A lot were riding under the ribbon when they finished their practice session so that they could do the next session that was on the line.

That's why the races started an hour late, and why I paid $25 for 25 minutes of practice on Saturday.

Again, great event and we love Malvern but the practice organization was a fail.

ag

Apparently you didn't do well with equations in school: Battle - Quads = No JO. Therefore, No Battle. No further derivatives found.

Run it like a pro practice. 10 min per group
450"s 8 -810
250's 810-820
125's 820-830 (and clean 450's and 250's)
85's 830-840
65's 840-850
50's 850-9
Pro's 9-910
Riders meeting at 915
Race at 930
Each rider can go out when ever they want during there time. If there is 1500 bikes out there and you want to join in, have at it.

its you darn OMA people. Why you gotta listen to this BS then run a top quality event?
Moto people are use to being ignored when it comes to making suggestions. We are typically told to "go somewhere else if you don't like it"
I would make various suggestions to other tracks in the area if I could find the zip code to "In Theory". I think it is somewhere near Eatshitanddieville Ohio but Im not sure

I'm good...and smiling.

Definately some posts on here irritating me. Some making smile. Some making me think. One thing is for sure, it will be fixed to the extent it can. Over night? No. It's not a simple answer like some of you try to make it. This is only 2nd year of series not including first year of BC only, right? OMA's 2nd full season. They are creating talk. Much talk. Moto talk, which is good...

Good times ahead. I'm out...

You guys secretly like having the quads around just to have someone to blame for everything. There will ALWAYS be something to complain about.

Since we all know there would have been 700+ entries if it were bikes only you would still be driving home, or they could have just cut down the second motos to a holeshot challange.

Jason was full throttle all day Sunday. And I would like to let him know how much it was appreciated.
I will continue to support the +50 class, but going forward, because of the growing numbers and parking room I don't think you can't effectively have bikes and quads together at Malvern and maybe BC. I don't look forward to being squeezed into a camping spot, I like to hang out and relax when I'm not on the track. And I'm sure it's not cheep to lay out a parking/camping area. Chillitown has 1000 camp sites so room isn't an issue. Would like to see the seperation for the first two rounds. Then have the championship at Chillitown with quads and bikes. Friday practice, race Saturday, the others race Sunday.

Jason was full throttle all day Sunday. And I would like to let him know how much it was appreciated.
I will continue to support the +50 class, but going forward, because of the growing numbers and parking room I don't think you can't effectively have bikes and quads together at Malvern and maybe BC. I don't look forward to being squeezed into a camping spot, I like to hang out and relax when I'm not on the track. And I'm sure it's not cheep to lay out a parking/camping area. Chillitown has 1000 camp sites so room isn't an issue. Would like to see the seperation for the first two rounds. Then have the championship at Chillitown with quads and bikes. Friday practice, race Saturday, the others race Sunday.

I was told that parking an ATV National was like parking a 1000 entry dirt bike race....that man was right. We have room.

I didn't say the OMA (we are a team), however the Battle for Ohio is my baby. If anyone wants to try to make their own series, come up their own theme, naming, ideas; go for it. Its funny I don't hear any talk about DMCs race today, did CRA race? We must be onto something!
This is the wrong web site for DMC. Also, I'm betting, though I didn't attend, that there were guys cutting into different practice groups. Like if you have two bikes, then they practice two classes. Or the ones who get by the guy who watches for them and go out again. Do you guys have people watching for that? Cutting down on those things would shorten practice too.

This is the wrong web site for DMC. Also, I'm betting, though I didn't attend, that there were guys cutting into different practice groups. Like if you have two bikes, then they practice two classes. Or the ones who get by the guy who watches for them and go out again. Do you guys have people watching for that? Cutting down on those things would shorten practice too.

There were those, but I'm not thinking they were the root issue. There were like 5 or 6 big bike practice groups. I had two tickets for two classes, but one bike. Since it was first time of me being there, I used both tickets. Contrary to some peeps belief, us analyzing technical type can use more track time although the track conditions between practice (which actually did very little for me in terms of how I would ride he track at speed) and first moto did not compare nor did my pace.

I'd like to bring up the question of is there a way to come up with the race order before the race. Like weeks before? I know there are a lot of factors that go into the race order with peeps riding two or more classes, sharing bikes, kids and dads racing same day, etc., but for these big races I would guess that the same issues come up in general and the race order could be made ahead of time. Stay with me here. Here comes the punch line...

If this was the case, one could potentially plan on if they has to be there for both Saturday and/or Sunday for their moto given we start runnning some motos on Saturday. Thought would be start practice sessions at 9:00 on Saturday until like 2 or 3. Break for an hour for prep...into moto 1 and get to what you can by 6:00 or 7:00? Give Sunday practice tickets only to those that didn't have a moto 1 Saturday and/or signed up Sunday...

That would make a potential 9:00pm to 10:00pm Sunday a 5:00 to 7:00 Sunday give or take weather and injury implications...right?

Just a thought....

Now if we can just figure out how to add a rock pit, tire section, lots of narrow gaps between trees and a creek crossing so we can include the enduro and GNCC guys we might have a real Battle for Ohio.

On a different note, I heard the badminton community are up in arms because they want in on the Wimbledon Championships....those tennis guys really get catered to!

I am only kidding of course but its not hard to see some things arent meant to go together. Its just hard to come up with a solution that works for everything and everyone.

Back