A Bad Sunday at Briarcliff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike

PR Addict
I’m disappointed by Briarcliff and Mr. Osborne after Sunday. Tracks were in great shape, nice weather, good turnout, food was good but there was a situation on the “C” track that was very disturbing.

My understanding of the “C” track is that it is designed for VET’s, Vintage bikes, JR, and slower riders who may be new to the sport and a place to develop and ride in a safer environment. 20 minutes after the track opened I saw this “monster” vehicle racing around a track full of kids on Cobra 50’s, old guys, and beginner riders. I thought surely this is a mistake. I don’t know Jeremey so I found him, introduced myself, shoot his hand and very politely explained what was going on. Giving him the benefit of the doubt that he may have been unaware. Who knows what’s in the back of a big box trailer when they drive in. I was pleased that he said he would go and check it out and speak to them. I assumed he would resolve this issue. I can only guess that he did not because the same vehicle was back out on the “C” for 2 or 3 sessions throughout the day.

This isn’t QUAD’s vs Bikes, this is insanity, watch this video and see if you would let your kids out there, or if you want to be out there. The Razor dudes had the track mostly to themselves as the parents waved off their kids, and a bunch of us packed up and went home early. Very disappointing situation, which was handled very poorly.

With two guys and riding gear this is a 2,000 lb. vehicle, with a 1,000 cc engine, 110 hp. 0 – 60 mph. in 5 seconds, and the top speed has a governor that keeps it at 80mph max. Automatic transmission, power steering. Sounds like an SUV, what’s next Jeeps, Monster trucks?

Sorry, mike I can understand your disappointment, between trying to keep people happy with sessions and tending to Cody Branson, who was flown out, the RZR did slip my mind. I will get that tree moved off of the trails too. Thanks for finding me though.

In his defense he was a safe driver of that thing. I watched him slow down and give guys room on a couple occasions. Most people just pulled off and let him get his laps in. It gave me the creeps though too. Someone including myself should have flagged him off.

That's pretty bad....... I would never in a million years be on a track or let my kids anywhere near a track with that on it.....!

I have to agree with Mike on this one..........NO way any kids should be on the track with that. Only takes one of them sitting on the edge of the track to pull out on the track from the other side of a jump or anything, and tragedy strikes. If they want to run a session on with them, then run it.

As a track owner, your probably opening yourself up wide open if something disastrous would have happened.

Next time I will tell Jason to leave the sxs to the trails, and just ride his Dirt Bike on the track.

Btw, it was Jason and his sister, not two dudes.

Last edited:
Jeremy, your first response was appropriate and would have made me and others feel comfortable that it was a mistake and it would not be allowed to happen again. However you’re most recent post indicates that you knew the vehicle was on the C track, you know who it was, and you knew who was driving and who the passenger was. That sir is even more disappointing. You made a business decision to place your customers and our children in a dangerous situation. I would have hoped that you would have clarified the rules to prohibit ATV, UTV’s or anything larger than a Quad.

I've seen MX213 have separate practice sessions for those. Fun to watch, but I wouldn't want to be riding around one.

Wait a cotton pickin' minuet... Last week you D-bags were ripping on me for wanting practice sessions and you wanted open practice so you could get more set time.... One 18 wheeler shows up and you do an about face. Do you guys ride the bike only looking 2 feet in front of the fender? Try looking ahead. You got what you asked for... open practice. OOOOOh, you meant no UTV's besides that, open practice... well, no utility quads and UTV's besides those, open practice. OK, no quads of any kind, no utility quads, no UTV's beside those, open practice.
Maybe no 85, no 65, no way can you have 50's, no A riders cause they go to fast, no quads, no 3 wheelers, no UTV's and no unicycles.... Yeap, sounds like open practice to me.
Stop complaining about something you asked for.

Jeremy, your first response was appropriate and would have made me and others feel comfortable that it was a mistake and it would not be allowed to happen again. However you’re most recent post indicates that you knew the vehicle was on the C track, you know who it was, and you knew who was driving and who the passenger was. That sir is even more disappointing. You made a business decision to place your customers and our children in a dangerous situation. I would have hoped that you would have clarified the rules to prohibit ATV, UTV’s or anything larger than a Quad.

Easy....you made your point already and now you are kind of speculating. I agree with the safety hazard, however if all of you feel so passionately that he should not be on the track with your kids, yet no-one had the balls to talk to the driver in a calm respectable manner about maybe sticking to the trails, then you are all to blame. Personally if my kid was out there I would have just walked up and talked to the guy, if things escalated, then go get JO involved and let him as the track owner make the call since he is ultimately responsible.

Maybe I'm just tired of listening to everyone complain and yet you don't see anyone else stepping up and opening a track because they think they can do it better.

I understand Mikes concerns, I would be concerned too, if I didn't know the situation.

I think more concerning to me, and this is for everyone in general, is why is this a bigger deal than health and safety of Cody Branson who was flown out of the track on Sunday. Not one mention of that anywhere on the board. However, one guy sneaks onto the c track with a UTV, and the world is ending.

Also, in terms of safety. Parents you are not allowed to let your children ride stryder bikes on the kids track will other kids are riding bikes and atvs, thank you.

Leave it lie. You act like Jason was driving around pushing kids off the track. I Myself did not let the boy go out when the UTV was out. Maybe I'm a different kind of parent, but my 9 year old only rides when my eyes are on him and when I say he can go out including the kids track on his pitbike. I watch the crowds on the track for whatever I feel threatens his safety then decide. Not that I agree or disagree with the UTV being out there but I would have felt more comfortable with the boy out with Jason than a few other riders that were out there. Too many parents use tracks as baby sitters and let their kids run amuck. A lot goes on at a track and sometimes we as riders, parents, whatever need to assess the situations and make "good choices". I am more concerned of the jack-arses that test or whatever the heck they are doing ripping up and down the pits, kids and adults. The very young kids on coaster bikes on the pitbike track with quads and dirtbikes, not wise! Maybe if we all used our brains a bit and watched over one another we could live in harmony.

Wait a cotton pickin' minuet... Last week you D-bags were ripping on me for wanting practice sessions and you wanted open practice so you could get more set time.... One 18 wheeler shows up and you do an about face. Do you guys ride the bike only looking 2 feet in front of the fender? Try looking ahead. You got what you asked for... open practice. OOOOOh, you meant no UTV's besides that, open practice... well, no utility quads and UTV's besides those, open practice. OK, no quads of any kind, no utility quads, no UTV's beside those, open practice.
Maybe no 85, no 65, no way can you have 50's, no A riders cause they go to fast, no quads, no 3 wheelers, no UTV's and no unicycles.... Yeap, sounds like open practice to me.
Stop complaining about something you asked for.

Got anymore video? That guy looked like he could drive pretty well.

It's kind of funny, on this site, it seems like there are only 5-10 people that are "allowed" to have a concern about something and have it taken seriously and in a mature manner. Evidently Mike isn't one of those people. The rest of us simply get belittled. I don't know ck and I've never been to Briarcliff (hope to soon), but these two posts aren't necessary. Neither one of them does anything to help anyone or solve anything. Granted, they are good points. It is open practice, and maybe the guy can drive pretty well. I can tell you this though, I've never been to open practice at a motocross track with a UTV, so I think the least we could do is let the guy make his point without insulting the guy and then simply explain the situation and apologize. And for the record, the video above shows a kid on a minibike go over the jump slowly, and shortly after, the UTV almost takes a nose dive. If that kid would have fallen or slowed up and the UTV has a bobble or rolls, there could have been a serious accident and it wouldn't be that funny. I'm aware that I just opened myself up to the pitracer bashing, so go ahead...

I recall being at the first annual Ohio Crew Fest and co-existing with the UTVs and some mini quads on the c track .With that said I agree it does bring additional risk and that was a just one experience . A day at the track with your son beats most other crappy things in life, even if it was cut short .

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back