This pretty much a vet rider must read

Great article. I don't know how he went 9 months without riding. Half way through winter I'm ready to strangle someone. Bad idea with the brake tap when you're not going to make it. Some gas on the landing would have pulled him right out of that one.

That's Andy Bowyer, NASCAR guy Clint Bowyer's brother...We met him when we were at MX421 last Winter, really nice guy & a very good rider!

Well written article that we can all relate with I think.

I liked this:
[ and before you can say “arm pump,” I had my trusty steed in the back of my truck and was ready to head to the track. It’s funny; I felt those race day butterflies merely pushing my bike up the loading ramp. ]

I watch my moto videos at home a lot.
In one of my "The Great Outdoors" videos there is a short clip of Ricky Carmichael at the gate area walking and eyeballing his gate pick before line up. He draws a deep breath and then lets go a cheek bulging exhale. "There it was" I thought to myself. That same feeling everybody gets on race day. "Butterfly's". Even Ricky get's em.

Great article. That video just solidifies in my mind why it takes me so long to get the nerve to hit a jump for the first time, that is exactly what I fear. And I think it is more likely to happen to me than these guys who have been riding 30 years.

When it gets to this time of year, I'm thankful I've not gotten hurt yet. But then, I keep kicking myself for being such a wimp and not just doing it.

Either way, can't stop riding at 49. Got started late, didn't actually start riding till I was around 40, but still have the same obsession.

Lots of NASCAR guys raced MX at one time. Jimmy Johnson and Clint Bowyer both raced MX as a kid.

It's been a year since last time I was on the track but I think about it daily.. Damn life getting in the way... I know it's not going to just open up for me on its own I gotta do it... I can relate in the article about how hitting that one jump or railing one turn perfect can erase a whole day of riding poorly...

You need to just make it happen. Every day you don't is another day closer to never doing it again!

Saturday is a perfect day to come over ... close to you.... hang out with pit racer friends .... bench race and sneak a little ride in!!

I liked the article and I also started late 40. Now I'm 53 and can't wait till I hit 60 and am still riding. It has taken me two seasons to get up the nerve to jump out of the woods at Malvern. Son cleared the table to table last race at Malvern and sorta pushed me along to get over my fear of that jump. I started MX to teach my twin boys how to handle risk. Now I'm watching my brother bring his little one along. Got three races under my belt and I'm addicted. Nothing like the feeling I get at the start which hasn't helped because I'm still last off the gate. Just get to chase somebody down. It is good for an old guys ego to have some kid half my age say you rip old man.

I liked the article and I also started late 40. Now I'm 53 and can't wait till I hit 60 and am still riding. It has taken me two seasons to get up the nerve to jump out of the woods at Malvern. Son cleared the table to table last race at Malvern and sorta pushed me along to get over my fear of that jump. I started MX to teach my twin boys how to handle risk. Now I'm watching my brother bring his little one along. Got three races under my belt and I'm addicted. Nothing like the feeling I get at the start which hasn't helped because I'm still last off the gate. Just get to chase somebody down. It is good for an old guys ego to have some kid half my age say you rip old man.

I think this the first thread I have ever read with so many late starters.

I'm a late starter as well. I rode dirt a bit when I was a teenager, but then ended up with kids and married and no bikes again until I was 36. My boy and I raced our very first race together a year or two later. I just turned 49, and so far have lined my front wheel up to race 95 times. I know, kinda cheesey to be counting each moto and race, but I dig it. For me it's a huge accomplishment and a dream come true. I hope to break 100 this year before winter.

Man, keeping count. I would be really interested in how many times I came off a gate. It is a TON for sure though.

Damn

You got more nerve than me, but keep up the good work. Old Guys Rule !

Vintage racing actually has helped a lot, in many ways. Seemed to take the pressure off a bit because nobody was really taking it too serious. Most are racing just for fun. The fluttery nerves were always there, but you just refuse to let it stop you. And the more you do it, the more your confidence grows and the butterflies fade.
I also realized that having someone to race against, someone to challenge you, is more important and fun than just winning a moto by yourself.

The numbers grow quick when on one vintage race weekend you race 9 times, (1 hare scramble race, then 4 Vintage moto's, and then 4 Post Vintage moto's).

I also watch my race videos often. We have many good Ohio Vet racers that I study closely looking for ways that I can improve. Most are members on this sight.

Said it before but it bears repeating:
Being a vet motorcycle racer in your 40's, 50's and older, is cool as hell.

"You're no Poser or wanna-be" You're out there doing it!

Last edited:
I've been on the bike twice so far this year, 4 times last year, mabey 10 times in '12, and about 10 times in '11 and '10. I totally forget '08 and '09. That's about 36 times on the bike in the last 5 years. Out of those I raced twice in '10 and '11, once in '12. Thats the last time I've raced. During the '80's I used to race around 50 to 55 races a year. Most of summer spent racing twice a weekend and occaisionally 3 times, that's only 1 class too. Then I'd practice two days a week too. Did that for almost ten years. The drive is still there, the money and time isn't. Kids in college, work, bills, other responsibilities.

Back