This pretty much a vet rider must read

Son cleared the table to table last race at Malvern and sorta pushed me along to get over my fear of that jump.

That's a big gap with no landing. I didn't even see it was there until I witnessed someone hitting it from the sidelines. My knees hurt just watching it. Great job raising some fine young mxers by walking the walk.

The drive is still there, the money and time isn't. Kids in college, work, bills, other responsibilities.

You could a perfect candidate to join the Vintage and Post Vintage racing ranks. Similar to others, I didn't race when I was younger. I was 51 in 2013 the first time I ever rode a MX track, Podium 1 in Charlestown, Indiana. My first race at Action Sports in Athens was a few weeks later. Nerves, excitement, adrenaline, fear, anticipation, competitiveness, pride all exploded in a rush that I hadn't felt in years -hooked now and practicing to get faster to be able to race harder.

That is not even the best part. The best part has been meeting all the great people that race Vintage and Post Vintage. Many are regulars on this site. I look as forward to saying hello, picking up tips, and hearing stories at these races as much as the racing.

Plus seeing the bikes I used to look at in magazines as a teenager; they are just so damn cool.

My work/travel schedule is pretty intense but prioritizing 3-5 race dates helps keeps things balanced. My wife says I am nicer to be around after a race. And for getting hurt - sympathy attention and affection ain't so bad.

You could pick a bike from the era that you raced in the 80s and not spend a fortune.

DanO

I've been thinking about either a mid 80's M-star 500 for a evo class bike ( Though I don't know which class that would be) or a early 90s 500. Preferably a WR500. Looking at getting one by this winter. The more I hear guys talk about it, the more I'm thinking about it.

My father raced into his early 60's and still talked about getting an old bike to run in the vintage scene. Think its been about 6 years since I turned a lap. Still everyday think about it. Doesn't help I drive truck past a couple practice tracks and can still feel the desire to brap the throttle. :)

Man,We have all been there done that I bet!
It is amazing how much better I felt just a few years back when I was riding alot
I worked at a shop where there was several guys that rode so we rode alot
That was back when Spring Valley was still alive and was close for us plus they had practice alot and we were always there
Now tracks are far away ,that shop is gone plus everyone ended up going different ways
This probably slowed down my riding more than anything
I would really like to get back out there and ride

Now tracks are far away ,that shop is gone plus everyone ended up going different ways
This probably slowed down my riding more than anything
I would really like to get back out there and ride
Second to that... Along with over demanding job that's killing me mentally to where I'm tired all the time... Two teenagers who don't like motocross and I don't want staying home by themselves if you know what I mean... Life has it's moments that's for sure

Back