Do you have a favorite Promoter? Past or present?

Vargo671

PR Addict
Since "promoter" just became a hot topic, the question must be asked.

I personally have been away from the scene for a whole, but have heard great things of some current and past. I will say that I was always impressed with race days at any events/races put on by the Hand family.

Let's hear it!

Are we talking "Promoter" or just talking designing and prepping a fun track to ride on?

If having a great facility to ride at Im going with Dave Safara (SP?) .... the OIR of the early 90's. The track was a little narrow but the layout changed every race, the direction was always different and the corners in the back section always changed. It was old school natural terrain MX at its best. Dust was never a problem, traction was never a problem. Always big turnouts for the Jump contest day. Barney Barnett used to crush the competition for the longest jump.

Current fun track top 5 would go to Red Bud, A51 , Monster Mountain , and Spring Creek and BC ( pre mid 2014 tracks )

Promotion? On the local level I would have to say CTMX puts on the best show ever, on par with many bigger races. Perfect pits, lots for kids and adults to do between motos , a track that has evolved into a fun time, always full pro gates and pits 2nd to none.

Are we talking "Promoter" or just talking designing and prepping a fun track to ride on?

If having a great facility to ride at Im going with Dave Safara (SP?) .... the OIR of the early 90's. The track was a little narrow but the layout changed every race, the direction was always different and the corners in the back section always changed. It was old school natural terrain MX at its best. Dust was never a problem, traction was never a problem. Always big turnouts for the Jump contest day. Barney Barnett used to crush the competition for the longest jump.

Current fun track top 5 would go to Red Bud, A51 , Monster Mountain , and Spring Creek and BC ( pre mid 2014 tracks )

Promotion? On the local level I would have to say CTMX puts on the best show ever, on par with many bigger races. Perfect pits, lots for kids and adults to do between motos , a track that has evolved into a fun time, always full pro gates and pits 2nd to none.
OIR in the 90's was special to me also. I couldn't wait for the next race once one ended. No doubt the track could have been wider, but good old fun track! I remember you always being there, Dave.

My favorite active promoter is Jason Rogers, he's a john wayne toilet paper promoter, rough tough and don't take *!*!*!*! off nobody.
Attended a few of his races and was always pleased. I approached him with a concern once and he took care of it quickly. Great guy and from all I can tell a no B.S. Kinda guy.

Two of the best were Jerry and Nancy McLaughlin. As mentioned in another post they owned MotorSport Trails (Malvern) and Valleyview Raceway. Jerry always prepped the tracks the best they could be. I remember running into them in Ponca City in 1982. When I asked them what are you guys doing here, Nancy said we're here to support our local rides. They were a class act. They never spoke bad about anybody.

I would also put Dirt World Mike in that same category. He is a great guy and always had Dirt World prepped awesome.

The Hand family are awesome promoters. They turned OIR into a mini national. Besides OIR they promoted some great races at Western Reserve and then this year turn Big Game into one of our favorite tracks.

Last edited:
Man...this is a tough one...especially being on the other side of the races; working.

Between Elson Street, Battlesburg, Malvern, Spring Valley, OIR, Summit Indoors, FairCross, CTMX, MX 213, Crow Canyon, Briarcliff, CRA, OMA, and a few old outlaw Harescrambles and my own events...that totals 18 promoters over the years. Only ever have had a real problem with two.

Jeremy Bee lead the way a handful of times too. So 19...kind of.

It seems the original post is geared more towards what kind of man the Promoter was or is...not so much their work, but that matters too when choosing.

For what I have experience with...overall I would have to go with Wayne Phillips, Jeremy Forcum, the Katin/Noah duo, and Brock Sellards in no particular order except for Wayne...he is Number 1.

This isn't to take away from you other promoters I know...I gots love for ya no matter what...and you know that.

I got to go with original 44 Jerry and Nancy McLaughlin.always had things top notch! I think they were a big part of starting CRA?

katin/Noah were fun dudes! Mike at dirt world was awesome when it would rain and you could talk fishing and his track was sick...BJ you could do a bunch of stuff with him!!!! Lol The guy at Indian mound was super cool he would water and disk if you were the only person there...And the lady at Country Hills was prob my all time favorite!!!!

Awesome, I got compared to toilet paper.lol
I feel ya...I have the unofficial record at Sandy Valley for getting pinned the fastest in wrestling. In a mere 3.5 seconds or something.

I was as soft as Charmin, maybe even Charmin Ultra!!!

Their was also a lady named Tony that use to fire a shotgun for every line of riders to start them at Big Valley CRA HS back in the 90's...they awarded Jimmy Jarrett a live turkey once as his trophy for winning the overall of the Thanksgiving HS.

Who promoted the toys for tots turkey run in the 90s? That was a pretty sick event that I recall having a ton of people show up....

Steve Wagner at the old Crash n' Burn in Canal Fulton. His noose hanging in the old barn for cheaters and his rider meeting rants were a hoot.
Where was the track at in Canal Fulton? I was there once and seem to remember it being close to some railroad?

It was right next to the tracks on Deerfield. I worked there the last 3 seasons it was open. Wagner is still running around the area doing this and that. He had many variations of the cheater speech!

The turkey run in the early 90's used to get 5-700 entries, some where I have pictures of the starting field full of riders. It was always a great race to go to!

It was right next to the tracks on Deerfield. I worked there the last 3 seasons it was open. Wagner is still running around the area doing this and that. He had many variations of the cheater speech!

The turkey run in the early 90's used to get 5-700 entries, some where I have pictures of the starting field full of riders. It was always a great race to go to!
Thanks! I've wondered for some time where exactly the track was. My friend lost year end points in the C class at the final race in 1991, and I believe it was to Ron (who frequents this board). Some reason his last name isn't coming to me. Old age haha.

Back