2015 Daytona Amateur SX

Knox your not correct. And Georgie, not sure why your screen shot is not showing the multi class discount. Maybe it adds that at check out, but you do get a discount for the 2nd and third classes. You also get a GA supercross ticket. That gets you in the sprint tower (which are the best seats anyway), or over on the pit road bleachers. Practice is usually 4 laps each day and one practice per class. As for the qualifiers they were 8 laps last year. No lack of track time. Mains were like 8 or 10.

In the big picture, it is MUCH cheaper than you guys that go race any Amsoil arenacross for sure!! It is Daytona. They have it pretty organized, and gets a little better each year, but there are more and more riders every year. I bet they get 900 plus riders this year.

I will be there again. Have a condo for rent to for anyone looking to stay on the beach.

I see the discount for additional classes. Still a lot of dough for the race.......

I just don't get the allure of it. Kinda with Knox on this. He rode Pro I think also. Maybe I saw how unspectacular it was on the racing side of pro MX. I thought the chips were stacked against you, but knew that going in, so I'm all over that aspect of racing.

Some of you guys are like the guys in my town. I practice with them, but they are like off to Mini Os this week, but never ever race local. Just don't get it. It's not like the guys from my town are any good either.......

What the hell am I missing?????? I swear I'm the only one that sees the importance of local racing.

I swear I'm the only one that sees the importance of local racing.

Where exactly do you do your local racing at? You are from Central PA, but spend time racing CRA in Ohio, and Masters MX in West Virginia and Maryland. I NEVER see you posting anything about racing locally in PA. As a matter of fact, a couple years back we had a group drive over to Dublin Gap to ride (which would be local for you) and you tried to talk us out of it and wanted us to go to WV instead.

I guess I just don't understand how you are always spouting off about supporting local racing, but you don't do that yourself.

Where exactly do you do your local racing at? You are from Central PA, but spend time racing CRA in Ohio, and Masters MX in West Virginia and Maryland. I NEVER see you posting anything about racing locally in PA. As a matter of fact, a couple years back we had a group drive over to Dublin Gap to ride (which would be local for you) and you tried to talk us out of it and wanted us to go to WV instead.

I guess I just don't understand how you are always spouting off about supporting local racing, but you don't do that yourself.

I really don't understand some of you. I have no tracks within an hour, and most are 3 hours away or more. Hi point is the same distance as going to the CRA. I have no local racing to speak of. Pleasure Valley is the closest at an hour and 20 minutes. But I DO RACE IN PA, I just don't post on here about it. You only know that I race the MastersMX races. I only post that stuff on PITRACER because we have large VET gates that guys your way are interested in. That's all. Why you bring up Dublin Gap from 2 years ago, I have no idea.......

And if I remember right, most of your crew crew said that Doublin Gap wasn't worth the trip. It will be a good track when the Yentzer boys are older and outgrow minis.

Last edited:
By local, I mean like a series that you can attend. That's all. Support something local. It doesn't mean you got to run every time the track 20 minutes away runs.......

I still don't see what I'm missing not going to these big MX Sports type races.......

I would like to know the real allure...............

Last edited:
I race local races all the time. Along with the Battle series, which some might not call local. I go to Daytona every year for Bike Week, so why not race Daytona? Seriously, my son will more than likely NEVER be a pro, but some day he will remember racing Daytona, and the photos of him on the gate and on the track, and be able to say he raced at Daytona! I mean seriously, it is a huge race with GREAT competition. It is becoming one of the BIG must race races in the Amateur world. It is about memories for me, because my son ask me daily if they have registration open for Daytona yet............It is a HUGE deal to him and we are having fun doing it.

I look at it as I pay $150+ for a hotel in Indy, $60 in gas, $75 (well say) for a ticket for the race...

Thats 285. Lets not even add in the bar tab afterwards!!!

I can go with a group of friends to Florida, split gas, and sleep in a toy hauler or a van for a few days, probably for that same $285 and hit a few other tracks along the way down/home

So what sounds more fun, 1 night in Indy, or a 4-5 day vacation to florida, getting to race at daytona, and hitting a few other tracks along the way?

You are absolutely paying for the "experience" and to me, it would be worth $150 to say "hey i got to ride the infield of daytona!" I've spent a lot more on way dumber of *!*!*!*! before!! At least that is a memory that will stick with you.

Don't schmooze everyone with your I pay for SX tickets lie. I doubt you've ever paid out of pocket for a sx ticket!!!! Ha.

@Delbaso: Supermini was for my brother. I was gonna take his bike, wanted to show him how (some not all) the kids that aren't in public school know how to ride.

I don't think he realizes how fast the kids are actually going these days.

I still don't see what I'm missing not going to these big MX Sports type races.......

I would like to know the real allure...............

You raced pro at one point didnt you? What was the allure? Why did you want to do it? What kept you going?

Its the same thing for those of us that do these events you speak of. Actually its the reason all of us on this board ride dirt bikes to begin with. Its our passion. Its what drives us to enjoy ourselves. Everyone is different and likes different things. Most of the people on here ONLY race local stuff. Many of us hit LL stuff and a few do this Daytona thing.

Why you ask???? Do you really need to?

The only reason is .... wait for it ..... wait wait................

BECAUSE /WE/THEY ENJOY IT. The reason they enjoy it is different for everyone but one thing we all have in common is we enjoy riding dirt bikes. Some riders like trails only, some like racing flat track, some vintage stuff and others Daytona. Give up trying to figure out why some riders like a different form of riding dirt bikes than you do. You have introduced us to races you like and some have gone to the masters mx series solely because of you. Be proud of that, but also be proud that we all ride and keep our sport going in the days of prejudice against our sport and tracks.

You raced pro at one point didnt you? What was the allure? Why did you want to do it? What kept you going?

Its the same thing for those of us that do these events you speak of. Actually its the reason all of us on this board ride dirt bikes to begin with. Its our passion. Its what drives us to enjoy ourselves. Everyone is different and likes different things. Most of the people on here ONLY race local stuff. Many of us hit LL stuff and a few do this Daytona thing.

Why you ask???? Do you really need to?

The only reason is .... wait for it ..... wait wait................

BECAUSE /WE/THEY ENJOY IT. The reason they enjoy it is different for everyone but one thing we all have in common is we enjoy riding dirt bikes. Some riders like trails only, some like racing flat track, some vintage stuff and others Daytona. Give up trying to figure out why some riders like a different form of riding dirt bikes than you do. You have introduced us to races you like and some have gone to the masters mx series solely because of you. Be proud of that, but also be proud that we all ride and keep our sport going in the days of prejudice against our sport and tracks.

Great reply. I couldn't agree more with what you stated

I stand corrected. So sorry if I upset any of you. I see that you just are after something different and admire you guys for it.

i see now it's different strokes for different folks.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Hershey failed at the escalation attempt.

Lol.....no sir I didnt fail, it was a success. He got the exact point I was trying to make. And Honestly I want to try and make some of those MX masters races this year myself. If it werent for Honda907 I wouldnt even know about them. He paints a wonderful picture of vet racing heaven.

Its like bungee jumping. The first time it is cool but once you've done it once, why keep paying to do it again at the same location?
The first time I rolled into Daytona I thought it was cool, Not a lot of chances in this sport to actually get to ride in a location like that. The second time I went there, the cool factor was gone and it was just another race.
Different strokes for different folks... If I was looking for a moto vacation I would choose a different location each time. Race Daytona once, then the next year go to the Mini O's, or World Mini's, or Bubbas race in Texas, or the Canadian national, or.... hell, there are tons of options. Varity is the spice of life. That's why I had Wendy's yesterday and McDonalds today. Its all a burger but very different.

Love of the sport or memories can be experienced anywhere. I raced everywhere and my best memory was a local weekend with my Dad, Saturday nite at Dirt Country then driving to Muskingum valley, sleeping in the van and waking up to snow..

After looking at it from a different angle, I think I'm rather upset, or was upset about even more tracks closing here in Pa and today I find one in WV closing, or at least not having an AMA sanction anymore. This is sad news, but I guess it's the nature of racing today. I think I wanted to blame "people", but hey, if the local product ain't any good, why do it and save and go to a big event.

Think I may have been guilty of not racing local in the past 40 years of racing anyhow, as has been pointed out. "Been there, seen that", as Ck1racerx would say. I really have no bucket list when it comes to racing anymore and that is kinda sad.

Just want to enjoy racing and riding with my 25 year old, my 16 year old and 3 grand-kids and " kicking butt in the +50 class", although winning a big +50 race isn't really kicking butt. We are all slower at that age, comparatively speaking.

Its like bungee jumping. The first time it is cool but once you've done it once, why keep paying to do it again at the same location?
The first time I rolled into Daytona I thought it was cool, Not a lot of chances in this sport to actually get to ride in a location like that. The second time I went there, the cool factor was gone and it was just another race.
Different strokes for different folks... If I was looking for a moto vacation I would choose a different location each time. Race Daytona once, then the next year go to the Mini O's, or World Mini's, or Bubbas race in Texas, or the Canadian national, or.... hell, there are tons of options. Varity is the spice of life. That's why I had Wendy's yesterday and McDonalds today. Its all a burger but very different.

Love of the sport or memories can be experienced anywhere. I raced everywhere and my best memory was a local weekend with my Dad, Saturday nite at Dirt Country then driving to Muskingum valley, sleeping in the van and waking up to snow..
It's funny you remember the local.

All those big races attended and the ones I cherish most were pymatuning holeshot raceway local races. Funnest time of my life. Passed out on the way home dog tired at 330am.

I registered Matthew and I for Daytona tonight. Just an FYI, if you are going, some classes are getting full already. 40+ - 6 gates left, 45+ - 9 gates left, girls - 7 gates left, Mini Sr 13-14 - 4 gates left. Mini Sr 12-13 is full, and both 50 classes are full.

When you register this year, they are charging a 3% convenience fee. I don't remember that being charged in the past. You also have to validate your AMA number. Matthews renews in February (automatic renewal), but in order to register him, because it expiries before the event, I had to log onto the AMA site and renew it. I validated it then, and it went through.

You also are required this year to put in the name of your health insurance carrier, policy number and group number. Required to register.

If your going you better sign up soon.

Back