2 stroke or 4, trying to decide what to get for the new year.

Clint1991

PR Addict
Spent a long time on two strokes then finaly made the big switch last year and after a few diff fours ended up on a 350sxf and loved it. Still debating on moving back to a smoker though, would mostly be another 250sx if I do. Been looking at the new 250sx-f factory though, pretty impressive. Any thoughts?

I ride four strokes better than two strokes but the two makes you feel like a hero riding them cuz their so light and rev quickly... If you can swing it have both. One will make you faster on the other

What kinda riding are you doing?

If you can afford either one...then the choice is harder. 2-strokes are obviously less expensive and easier to maintain. I started on 4-strokes...I love them over 2-strokes in all scenarios. I do fine with a smoker in the woods but not in moto.

I had a budget to work with, a 2-stroke would have been a wiser decision for affordability for me, so I went with the 4-stroke for fun facter...either way as for maintenance...I set a budget and didn't budge...hence why I didn't ride the last half of the season. Found some metal in my motor...tore it down and decided to do a complete rebuild. Should have the motor back in a couple weeks or so. If I had a 2-stroke...i would still be riding. But I was willing not to if something happened to the 4-stroke...and it did. So goes life...lived with my choice and didn't budge on my plan.

Last edited:
I do a bit of everything, I deff prefer a four stroke in the woods but I've never ran a smoker with a recluse and I will be running one on whatever I get. As far as maintenance goes, all the guys I ride with also run ktm 4 strokes and with just keeping the oil changed I've seen the 350's go over 100 hours without touching the top end and still plenty of life to go. I used to do my smoker top ends at the end of each year just because it was so cheap and easy to keep up on.

Spent a long time on two strokes then finaly made the big switch last year and after a few diff fours ended up on a 350sxf and loved it. Still debating on moving back to a smoker though, would mostly be another 250sx if I do. Been looking at the new 250sx-f factory though, pretty impressive. Any thoughts?

Yamaha killed the shootouts this year for 15. Both 2 and 4 stroke.

I have both. A brand new yz250f and a clapped out yz250. The four stroke got dusted off twice this season to ride trails. I put about 60hrs on the yz. Now if you are riding trails more Id say go four stroke. I was that guy for years saying 2 stroke 250s are the be all end all. Even for the trail. Then I got the 250f last year with a rekluse and holy crap. Its a monster in the woods. Hate it with the rekluse on the track, very inconsistent. For the price of the ktm factory edition you can easily get two very nice used bikes. Have the 2 bike for a year figure out what you like better then make your decision on what new bike to get.

4 stroke and 125 play bike for sure!!! 4 stroke when you wana be serious, 125 when you just want to take some aggression out and beat the piss outta something hahaha

2 strokes all the way...why...fun factor as most of us will never be pros. Had a KTM 525 that had a rock solid motor with over 300 hours on it with stock top end so can't beat that but went back to vintage 2 strokers in 2007 and had the time of my life until a auto accident put an end to my racing but it is still in my blood!

I have a 250Sx with a 300 kit, I love it. The light weight of a two stroke and all the power you could ask for. It really is a good all around bike.

I am making the same decision, I have a 1985 kx-125 and a 2009 YZ-250F that I put a 290 kit in the 250f had a $5 ring dicintigrate and pretty much destroyed the motor, matter of fact I purchased a replacement 2008 motor for it. Rode the kx 3 seasons and alot more than planned due to the 4 stroke having issues. The cost of rebuilding it (KX) is peanuts compared to the 4 stroke, parts alone for me on the 250f would have been over 3k to fix mine right, let alone labor!!

I will look at the Kaw and Yamy 4 strokes but I am leaning towards a yamy or KTM 2 stroke to replace the 250f, which I have for sale right now. Another thing im looking at is the weight of these bikes, a 450 feels like a tank to me, I had one did not like it at all, they are really heavy feeling. No wonder all these guys get hurt on these 4 strokes, they arent light like a 125 or 250 2 stroke. One of them clobbers you in a crash its gonna hurt!! Anyone looking for a really nice takenn care of 250 f lowered by 1'' or so let me know

Last edited:
SSS suspension!
Strong motor
Blu cru contingency.
250 4 stroke shootout winner.
250 2stroke shootout winner.
Loretta Lynn results 2014.
Mx Outdoor champion was a blue bike
They've finally figured out the backwards engines. And now they're ironically going forwards past competition.

And ask vet261, suzukis are just junk.

Only person that can win on a Kawasaki is Ryan villopoto but we all know that's really a yamaha with a different dress on that he's riding.

Hondas are just too slow.

And KTMS only work well with European riders like ken roczen.

So if you're an America. Buy a damn yamaha because they're American. ....just designed, manufactured and built in Japan. That's all. But Japan wishes they were the great country of MERICA. Because when you can say Japan 'APAN. that's just sissy.

I need to drink more and post. Really brings out the best in me. Back to the buzz.

Merry Christmas. Now go suck down eggnog until you as pirate.

No not a$$ pirate. Aspirate. Perverts. And Where the hell is Rupert X.

And before you run your mouth about roczen riding a Suzuki I'll tell you right now. That roczens sycuan (pronounced suck Juan for a reason---cuz they're gay like make nurses) Suzuki is a Russian spy version of the European Ktm. But the North Koreans are screwing with Ktm by making the Russian spy version an actual yamaha with Russia or roczen knowing about it.

I know your minds are blown. Much expected. Peace.

Back