help with bills

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry to hear about your acl repair. That's a tough surgery to recover from. Many folks on here have been through this including myself a couple times. Your best bet is to start a gofund campaign to make it official (http://www.gofundme.com/) Good luck!

My personal opinion on this matter:

Please sign up for health insurance. As an acl is pretty routine fixation and it is not life altering.

For those looking for money for non life altering injuries upsets me. There is no shame in this country. And there is no accountability for people's own actions for that matter.

More specifically, we all know the inherent risks of riding. But that does not give you the automatic right to come into a public forum and ask for a handout. It's disrepectful to those who are suffering from life altering injuries when in fact those life altering injuries do require some additional aid. An acl IS NOT ONE OF THOSE INJURIES.

Sorry, but your post asked for “help with medical bills”, to me and probably many others sounds like a request for a handout. I am not opposed to, and have helped individuals who have had serious accidents that may be life changing. In the spirit of the holiday season I suspect many people on here would be similarly inclined. HOWEVER, and it’s a big however an ACL injury is an inconvenience at best. As an old guy (56 years old) who rides dirt bikes, skis the big stuff in Colorado, plays hockey as well as too much other stupid stuff I have had one shoulder, one wrist, and one knee fixed. To me that stuff is maintenance much like changing the oil in my car.
Please take this in the spirt it is meant, I hope you and your family have a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

What help are you looking for then moto856? My first reaction to your post was the same as Georgie P and Mike. I have had the same injury as you, and like Mike mentioned, in my 36 years of riding/racing as well as in other endeavors, have had some knocks that had to be personally addressed and taken care of. Thankfully none were truly life altering, long term disability types but a few have kept me off a bike for a few years to rehab. All a part of this sport for a lot of folks. Spinal and Brain injuries are the types of things that change lives forever and I always do what I can to help out.

Since you didn't elaborate in your second post, the only other way I can read into your original post is that you need help in deciphering the medical billing aspect of your surgery? Maybe we all read too much into a single sentence?

If we rewind a little and you give us more information, because with the limited info I read it the same way others did, as a request for money.

Perhaps you are looking for suggestions, advice, or ideas about how to deal with the complexity of the medical billing and insurance process.
Or perhaps you are wondering how to approach the hospital, doctors, etc. with a negotiated solution or payment schedule that doesn't bankrupt you.
Or perhaps you are looking for some advice like how to prioritize your income against paying your debts so you can pay-off what you owe across all areas like shelter, transportation, food, debts, and medical bills.
Or perhaps you can't work and need to understand disability options. Did you tear your ACL riding or was it a work related injury. So many details that will help us help you.

Are you currently insured? If so, are you asking for suggestion about how to manage that process. HSAs, deductibles, etc.

I am not an medical insurance expert, especially as the implementation of the Affordable Care Act "Obama Care" continues to phase in. I have not read the legislation. Wait a minute, not even the folks that voted it into law have read the legislation. But that is a different topic.

If you have other bills piling up because of inability to work or paying off the medical bills, someone might be able to point you to a legitimate service that can help. There are only a few legitimate credit counseling service providers out there but they do exist. I would be very cautious about responding to the dozens of unsolicited phone calls you might be getting with offers to consolidate your bills, bundle your payments, suspend you interest etc. Most are not a bargain in the long run and some are pure scams.

If your income is below a certain threshold, Legal Aid or the local equivalent can be an excellent source of information and advice. Even if you don't qualify for representation, they can point you in a good direction.

Are you paying on Student loans? There might be options that work with your particular set of financial circumstances. Look up terms like deferment and forbearance. You don't want to let your student loan default.

I have not been on Pit Racer that long, but see a fairly broad experience base that might be able to suggest ways for you to get the help you are requesting.

Did you have the surgery yet or a you planning for a future expense? If so, how is the recovery going?

DanO

We offer a card (BOST Advantage Card) that members can purchase that includes many programs. The main feature being Teladoc (telemedicine). It also includes Health Advocate, and Medical Bill saver. These Advocates work with healthcare providers on behalf of members in an attempt to lower the balance of any uncovered medical or dental bills over $400. These negotiations can result in 25% to 50% savings for members. Members receive an easy to read, personal savings statement summarizing the outcome and payment terms.

I can send you a link to sign up if your interested. The card actually has many more features also. It is about making people better health care consumers. Anyone with an HSA should consider one. Just the savings using teladoc, with a $0 consult fee is huge. They even have pediatricians on staff for kids. Pharmacy discounts included, etc.

Yeah I know everyone has bills exp lazy ass people that don't want work. I thought would ask if anyone knew of some kind of finical info. I torn the acl ridding my bike awhile ago so if comes down to selling my bike so my kids have a roof over there head so be it.

Yeah I know everyone has bills exp lazy ass people that don't want work. I thought would ask if anyone knew of some kind of finical info. I torn the acl ridding my bike awhile ago so if comes down to selling my bike so my kids have a roof over there head so be it.
Understandable...for future reference...when it comes to money, elaborate. I took your original post the wrong way too.

People don't give money to churches because they don't trust them, I don't trust 90% of the churches. Same with taxes, but they are forced...but many don't trust the government choices of expenditure. All the homeless people looking for money but many of them can't be trusted to spend the dollar right...basically money is a sensitive issue.

But you came to the right place for some "counsel"...PR Family! Good Luck! Brap!

Your first step is to contact the hospital and explain your situation.

Most will negotiate a payment plan as low as $10 a month for an incredibly long amount of time. Years and years....without collecting interest. You just need to call. Fill out correct paperwork and see if you qualify.

My trick - pay them minimum... $10 - $20 every few months to keep them happy. after a year they will happily cut you a deal to settle it.. usually half off what you owe or something... win win

[QUOTE="Strouble, post: 588934, member: 11616

People don't give money to churches because they don't trust them, I don't trust 90% of the churches. ![/QUOTE]

Whoa! 90% .... Seems a bit high there. My church shows where every penny goes too! Also we have heat and electric to pay for. I'm involved in my church and have a say where our money goes.

[QUOTE="Strouble, post: 588934, member: 11616

People don't give money to churches because they don't trust them, I don't trust 90% of the churches. !

Whoa! 90% .... Seems a bit high there. My church shows where every penny goes too! Also we have heat and electric to pay for. I'm involved in my church and have a say where our money goes.[/QUOTE]
If only our government was so forthcoming.

Whoa! 90% .... Seems a bit high there. My church shows where every penny goes too! Also we have heat and electric to pay for. I'm involved in my church and have a say where our money goes.

I should have made that clearer...sorry. I don't trust what 90% of the churches are preaching...church leadership starts with what is being taught. Money is always an issue or concern, especially when the foundation is not trusted.

My 90% is a high educated guess, based on fact and my own way of guarding my heart and influencing people to be cautious of what they are being taught...look up the truth for yourself, not just what someone tells you.

If anyone would like to discuss this further, just PM me; as to not hi-jack this thread.

Hope you found some of what your looking for moto856!

Strourecovery is going good post: 589453 said:
I should have made that clearer...sorry. I don't trust what 90% of the churches are preaching...church leadership starts with what is being taught. Money is always an issue or concern, especially when the foundation is not trusted.

My 90% is a high educated guess, based on fact and my own way of guarding my heart and influencing people to be cautious of what they are being taught...look up the truth for yourself, not just what someone tells you.

If anyone would like to discuss this further, just PM me; as to not hi-jack this thread.

Hope you found some of what your looking for moto856!
Thank you for the info.

My trick - pay them minimum... $10 - $20 every few months to keep them happy. after a year they will happily cut you a deal to settle it.. usually half off what you owe or something... win win

I gotta ask a couple things on this one Crute (seeing as I currently have a mountain of medical debt). You are insured right? Kind of rhetorical considering I know where you work.

So you are essentially getting the deductible/bill you owe after insurance has paid cut in half by just draggin it out?

Finally, in closing, is this how one can buy a new bike every year!?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back