Knee braces? Yes or No?

Yes. Won't ride without them. I'm partial due to having the injuries already, but they're absolutely worth it to save you even from the little tweaks here and there due to catching a rut or whatever.
Wrecked last year'13 with asterisk cells, still cracked the top of my tibia and tore my mcl. The knee brace ended up cracking from the load, without the brace I probably would've kicked my stomach hyperextending and it would've been way worse. I believe the theory is a good knee brace will fail before causing a bone to break. Asterisk and ctis have crumple zones to help this, in theory.

Tore my Acl and meniscus this past year bmxing(no brace). I'm 7 months after surgery right now. Last week was my first time running on a treadmill since. It's a very long recovery that needs a committed therapy plan(mine included racing my dirtbike which wasn't smart). If I make a full recovery, I'd say I'm only about 60% there right now.

I have CTIs now which are the greatest things, but my Asterisk cells definitely rivaled them on all angles. Original cells are slimmer and less bulky that the ultra-cells btw.

Knee braces yes or no?

Yes.

Femur strength? Don't know but there's a lab at Case we did some testing
in once upon a time that could do the test and tell you. Pulling cadaver ACLs
was pretty cool but we never were trying to break femurs.

And by the way, if you need acl reconstruction, get a homograft if at all possible
and use a doc that does hamstring tendon, not patellar tendon. In my
experience (both knees done different ways) it's the way to go.

Where did you have surgery done and what type was it??
Surgery was at Tripoint in Concord Oh. I got an ACL cadaver and they had to remove half my meniscus and fuse the other half back in place. I guess my meniscus spun around 180° when I injured it, so that really extended my recovery. If it was just an ACL repair I believe my recovery would be cut in half

Knee braces yes or no?

Yes.

Femur strength? Don't know but there's a lab at Case we did some testing
in once upon a time that could do the test and tell you. Pulling cadaver ACLs
was pretty cool but we never were trying to break femurs.

And by the way, if you need acl reconstruction, get a homograft if at all possible
and use a doc that does hamstring tendon, not patellar tendon. In my
experience (both knees done different ways) it's the way to go.
What is your position that you harvest cadaver grafts??

Surgery was at Tripoint in Concord Oh. I got an ACL cadaver and they had to remove half my meniscus and fuse the other half back in place. I guess my meniscus spun around 180° when I injured it, so that really extended my recovery. If it was just an ACL repair I believe my recovery would be cut in half

Cool part about cadaver is....that was a working tendon in someone else who was living. People claim to have dreams of the past persons life who take on cadaver parts. Mostly major ones like the heart though. Ha. Just an interesting tidbit.

Cool part about cadaver is....that was a working tendon in someone else who was living. People claim to have dreams of the past persons life who take on cadaver parts. Mostly major ones like the heart though. Ha. Just an interesting tidbit.
Ligament Georgie. I am always amazed when a younger person, especially an athlete, receives a cadaver ligament. You just have no idea, as far as I know, whether the ligament came from younger person or someone much older.

I have worked with 3 people who had heart or liver transplants and find the journey of all involves amazing. Crazy stuff.

I wear knee braces, have for 13 or 14 years. Broke my femur BC of them. Nosed into the landing of a step up. My boot stayed stuck to my footpeg, and my femur hit the handlebars. Snapped like a toothpick. I'm sure my knee would be a lot worse off had I not been wearing knee braces.

I wear knee braces, have for 13 or 14 years. Broke my femur BC of them. Nosed into the landing of a step up. My boot stayed stuck to my footpeg, and my femur hit the handlebars. Snapped like a toothpick. I'm sure my knee would be a lot worse off had I not been wearing knee braces.
Would you say the femur could've been fine if it wasn't for the braces? Was the hyperextension lockout of the brace the cause for the break? Or could the knees natural lockout be enough to still break the femur, and blowout the knee as well if it wasn't for the brace? I think that's the force of impact you described.
Femur stuff used to go through my head every now and then when people mention it, but I just couldnt see me choosing to go without the braces

Last edited:
Yeah I don't really like to think about that part lol.

Either way you look at it a bad femur break sidelines you for 6 months to a year if everything goes smoothly. So I guess we are comparing similar damaging injuries in the grand scheme of things. I'd rather break a wrist.

and by kids I mean a 7 year old

Check the Pods. They have kids sizes and if he fits into the medium kids they have a kit to buy to make them a large when the time comes. You won't have to buy another pair, the kit is a fraction of what the set cost. I saw that and thought it was a pretty cool idea.

Reconstructive surgery on my shoulder. Not sure what parts are cadaver. All I know is I had two choices. Use ligaments from my leg or from a cadaver. I did not want my leg to have to heal also, so I went with the cadaver tissue.

Would you say the femur could've been fine if it wasn't for the braces? Was the hyperextension lockout of the brace the cause for the break? Or could the knees natural lockout be enough to still break the femur, and blowout the knee as well if it wasn't for the brace? I think that's the force of impact you described.
Femur stuff used to go through my head every now and then when people mention it, but I just couldnt see me choosing to go without the braces

Yeah, I'm sure my femur would have been fine without the braces. I think my knee would have been trashed without the braces.

Either way you look at it a bad femur break sidelines you for 6 months to a year if everything goes smoothly. So I guess we are comparing similar damaging injuries in the grand scheme of things. I'd rather break a wrist.

I had surgury the night it happened, was up with a walker the next day, crutches the day after. I was riding 2 months after it happened. Was walking fine (with a limp) around 4 weeks.

Back