"the next big star"........that never quite became a star

John250

PR Founding Father
Ok, another couple threads got me thinking about all the guys that were the next big thing, that never materialized into big time success at the SX or Pro MX level.

Couple that come to my mind are Greg Rand and Ben Riddle......

Others?

Greg would have been the best if his body didn't fall apart like a Chinese made Rolex watch.

I can answer this with one word and no other discussion will be needed... HANSEN

Gavin Gracyck did extremely well in Canada... never made it here though... Such a great guy growing up with too.

I thought Broc Hepler was going to rewrite some record books until injury stole his career . Reminded me of David Bailey in more ways than one .

J-Law ?

Gavin spent an entire season running inside the top ten here in the outdoor nationals. I think his dad passed away late that season and if I remember correctly there was some kind of tragedy with his girlfriend right after that.

Last edited:
Indy SX 98
Heat
6-laps top 9 to Main
Pos # Name
1 6 RICKY CARMICHAEL
2 163 GREGORY G RAND
3 583 DERRICK SHAE BENTLEY
4 434 JEFFREY J BAKER JR
5 41 SHAUN J PEROLIO
6 695 MARK BURKHART
7 38 BRIAN R DEEGAN
8 84 MATT R SHUE
9 112 TOM CLOWERS

125 main starts @46.00

Last edited by a moderator:
I would throw Robbie Reynard in there personally. Dude was and is superfast, but couldn't stay healthy enough for the long haul.

Gavin Gracyck did extremely well in Canada... never made it here though... Such a great guy growing up with too.

I would beg to differ, the year before Gavin's father passed away he was top 10 in the AMA Nationals, he holeshotted countless times and was always consistently in the top ten. In my opinion Gracyk did very well before his fathers passing

What? 18 supercross main wins, 10+ outdoor wins. Tons of 125 sx wins and a championship. 9 years on tour.
Are you drunk Lucky? Bradshaw was a true star
But never dominated quite like they thought he would. How about Shawn Kalos? Wasn't he hyped a bit?

I would throw Robbie Reynard in there personally. Dude was and is superfast, but couldn't stay healthy enough for the long haul.
Kind of like Knox's comment on Bradshaw.....you don't have to win a bunch of championships to be a star. Robbie had a good run in SX and the Nationals for a long time. To me he made it. Guess I am talking about more of the guys that were hyped, and were just a total bust. Robbie does not fall into that category.

Back