"the next big star"........that never quite became a star

Matt Boni lit the world on fire as an amatuer....

Hepler, lichtle, Boni, Chisholm and millsapps were the y2k era boys.

Alessi would blow the doors off everyone, was a cocky prick on and off the track. His dad was an even bigger a*****e.

All the kids were pricks except hepler and millsapps. Hepler would of been villopoto in my opinion if that head injury didn't cripple his career basically.

Lots of riders that were the next big thing and never made it.

Back in the 70's and 80's:
Brian Myerscough
Mouse McCoy
Paul Denis
Lowell Thomson JR
Ronnie Tichenor
Eddie Hicks
Danny Storbeck

Today I would say:
Nico Izzi
Jason Lawrence
Josh Hill
Austin Stroupe

Hepler was a tough dude and hell of a rider... Concussions suck glad he made right call in life there's more to life and he did right thing

Lots of riders that were the next big thing and never made it.

Back in the 70's and 80's:
Brian Myerscough
Mouse McCoy
Paul Denis
Lowell Thomson JR
Ronnie Tichenor
Eddie Hicks
Danny Storbeck

Today I would say:
Nico Izzi
Jason Lawrence
Josh Hill
Austin Stroupe
I agree with izzi and stroupe.after this season Osborne may be added to the list.

Yeah. Damon was a front runner for a little bit, but back then, we were looking for an all out dominator to replace Rick Johnson. Damon was short lived at the top. I think he retired at 22 maybe? I was going to mention Micky Dymond, but I wasn't sure anybody younger than 40 would know who he was. Micky was amazing when the supermoto craze was happening for sure. --L*64

I agree with izzi and stroupe.after this season Osborne may be added to the list.
How can you add Osborne? He was a little fat kid! If anything he has exceeded expectations. Top half finishes in Supercross, Motocross, and MXGP. Also becoming a good Off-road guy. Might be the next Mike Brown.

How can you add Osborne? He was a little fat kid! If anything he has exceeded expectations. Top half finishes in Supercross, Motocross, and MXGP. Also becoming a good Off-road guy. Might be the next Mike Brown.

That is exactly what I was thinking. Not to mention factory husky rider,consistently running in the top 5.

Yeah. Damon was a front runner for a little bit, but back then, we were looking for an all out dominator to replace Rick Johnson. Damon was short lived at the top. I think he retired at 22 maybe? I was going to mention Micky Dymond, but I wasn't sure anybody younger than 40 would know who he was. Micky was amazing when the supermoto craze was happening for sure. --L*64
Mickey won 1 or 2 125cc national champions ships, correct?

Osborne and stroupe killed it in amateurs. Then Osborne wasn't real successful at first. Went to Europe and came back. If he doesn't fly now, his career will up like nick wey.

I guess Osborne has an impressive resume. I still wouldn't consider him a star like dungey, reed, Rc, k dub and villo. Although after reading mx099 post definitely has the potential to be a star.

Another kid I thought was gonna be something huge was a kid from Florida rode for suzuki. Sean skinner

Micky won a 125 outdoor title in 1986, and 1987 on a Honda, but I believe that was it. He got a Yamaha deal after that, and was a complete bust due to injuries I think. Yamaha had some high expectations for him, and they weren't at all amused with his lackluster finishes. I think they dropped him after the 1989 season. --L*64

Last edited:
Mickey is out in California. Mickey dates Brenda Lyons, Todd Lyons (X Games and BMX Rider) sister. Knew them well back in the 80s BMX days.

Anybodyon mentioned here (ie hansen) that got paid decent $ to ride their dirt bike doesn't belong on the list. If your JOB was to ride and you made a living, you made it in this sport IMO. Just because you didnt win a championship, the fact that we know your name and you got a pay check to ride a dirt bike is more than 99% of us have ever / will ever accomplish in this sport!

Partridge, Albertson, Wilson, Stroupe, Davalos, Chisolm... They were praised as amateurs and they really haven't done a whole lot.

If not for an unfortunate injury Justin Weeks may have been the next big star from Ohio. Remember him taking it to Malcom at Lorettas. One of.the fastest dudes to circle the Cliff.

Back