Helmet Debate....Arai vs Shoei

John250

PR Founding Father
Been shopping for a helmet. Thought I was going to get a Shoei K-Dub that are out there on clearance for $399. Tried one on, and it feels tight. Says I need a Medium, but the large feels tight....kind of weird.

Have been wearing a Arai VX Pro 3 for a while. Love the helmet....some don't like the styling of the Arai. They have the new VX Pro 4 out that is a great helmet. I know to order a medium, change the cheek pads to 20mm and should be perfect. Price is a bit more for sure.

Anyone been running the Shoei recently? Likes? Dislikes? Did you have to up a size from your normal size in the Shoei? I don't buy a helmet every year, so want make sure I get one I like.

VX-Pro4 Tip Blue
Arai.jpg
Shoei.jpg

If you call shoes they will send you there pro pads. They don't sell them but they send them to riders upon request. It opens up the ears.

I've had the same shoei for about 4 years now. Did not have to go up a size. Good fit and great protection. Planning on buying a new one this year.

I don't think Airoh's are ugly at all. I think they're pretty good looking as opposed to the common eggshell look of all helmets today.

Hershey that Airoh is the ugliest damn helmet ever made.

I think they look awesome, they fit my melon better than any other Ive worn or tried. They are super light, its almost not there and the best part is they pass the required safety regulations in Europe which is tougher than DOT.

Bought a couple helmets this weekend. I bought a carbon fiber HJC. REG 370. Paid 175..
Not an Airoh, but pretty light and comfy.. Looked at a ton of helmets at Iron Pony. They have many to compare and try on. Very helpful and knowledgable staff. Gonna order an Airoh still, but 600 bucks is annoying.

Looked at the Kali, nice everything light on the padding, V max, too cheep feeling.
Bought a crap can't remember now...........one maybe get back to ya on that

Oh for nick ..... Kids sizes are all over the map by the way...

Been shopping for a helmet. Thought I was going to get a Shoei K-Dub that are out there on clearance for $399. Tried one on, and it feels tight. Says I need a Medium, but the large feels tight....kind of weird.

Have been wearing a Arai VX Pro 3 for a while. Love the helmet....some don't like the styling of the Arai. They have the new VX Pro 4 out that is a great helmet. I know to order a medium, change the cheek pads to 20mm and should be perfect. Price is a bit more for sure.

Anyone been running the Shoei recently? Likes? Dislikes? Did you have to up a size from your normal size in the Shoei? I don't buy a helmet every year, so want make sure I get one I like.

VX-Pro4 Tip Blue
View attachment 47778 View attachment 47779

John, if you don't mind having a Grant model, check out this deal!
http://www.btosports.com/p/shoei-vfx-w-grant-helmet

I have a shoei and feel its the best fitting helmet I have ever put on my head. I wear the same size however I do feel the first time you put them on they feel tight because they are tighter at the bottom. They have a different feel putting them on but once they are on they rock. My husband and step daughters all have them as well and wear the same size as any other helmet.

Ever since I smashed my face into the bars/ground at 63mph racing a hair-scramble in Michigan....I've never worn anything other than a Shoei. I still think the only reason my face was still intact (well, for the most part) is because of the quality of the Shoei helmet.

Sure it was upsetting that my expensive helmet was smashed to pieces, but better that, than my face. Came out with a cracked cheek bone and was lucky that was it. John, the Shoei will normally feel a little tight at first until the cheek pads start getting acclimated to your face.

Back