Helmet Debate....Arai vs Shoei

Just for comparisons sake, the Airoh is 2.72 lbs and the Arai is 3.32 pounds. More than half a pound heavier, that's 20%. Im betting most havent tried an Airoh on because they are not popular over here yet. Until you have tried one you shouldnt count them out. The safety ratings on them are every bit as good as the Arai. The fit and more importantly the weight difference is why I bought one. For the price of these helmets ( Arai and Airoh ) its a tough call to pull the trigger. But do yourself a favor and try the Airoh if you can. The Arai I tried was too heavy IMO.

When I looked at your Airoh, it is a nice helmet. It almost felt like a mountain biking helmet though, and just did not feel like a motorcycle helmet. It was weird in my opinion. Not sure I could get that past my brain.

I wouldn't buy the Airoh based on their lack of any safety information. Anywhere. I looked on the website. All it says on the tech sheet is "maximum safety". "Maximum comfort". Well then I guess if it says maximum then sign me up. I figured I would call the company and speak with somebody there. Nope. No luck there. Called 6d. And the gentleman took the time to talk about all the safety features. All the theory behind what they do and why they do it. And data to back it up. I love the looks of the airoh. And love how light it is. But that wasn't quite enough for me. Or my son. Shoei x2 and 1 6d for us. Also. If there is any info out there about what makes the airoh so great. I would love to see it. Because I love the looks and weight.

I wouldn't buy the Airoh based on their lack of any safety information. Anywhere. I looked on the website. All it says on the tech sheet is "maximum safety". "Maximum comfort". Well then I guess if it says maximum then sign me up. I figured I would call the company and speak with somebody there. Nope. No luck there.

When did you call Airoh, yesterday? They were closed for President's day...I called too

No. It was last year when I bought the 2 helmets. I was trying to find some info to compare safety of all 3. Like I said. I would love to see more info. What makes their helmet the best. Other than what's on the data sheet.

A quick google search ( I mean less than one second) gives you all the info you are seeking.

Right on the Airoh America Aviator home page....ratings listed before anything else

http://www.airohamerica.com/#!aviator-21/czjd

A youtube review that has the ratings

Meets or exceeds safetyrequirements for ECE 22.05 and DOT ratings

Ratings exlained

https://ultimatemotorcycling.com/20...lmet-standards-explained-dot-ece-22-05-snell/
http://www.smf.org/docs/articles/pdf/btlo_tech_response_2.pdf

Anything else you need to know?

Thanks for that info. Unfortunately it's the same thing that was there last year. I'm not talking about the ECE or dot rating. Most 89.00 helmets carry those. I'm talking about numbers on how much energy is transferred to your brain during a crash.
image.jpg

Like 6d for example. Shows you that there helmet meets or exceeds all the safety standards. But then goes on to show you how much less energy is transferred to your head with different kinds of impacts. This is what I'm looking for. What makes there helmet better than the other 600.00$ helmets on the market! But thank you for the videos and links.

Also.... You might not want to quote an article that's 10 years old. A lot of things have changed.http://www.smf.org/docs/articles/pdf/btlo_tech_response_2.pdf

Last edited:
Yes but the 10 year old article still explains ratings and the effect of G's on the brain with respect to injury. Those things havent changed.

The problem with Airoh is getting anyone who speaks English from the company to talk to you. Those cray Italians dont really give a rats ass about customer service. The people to talk to are at Leo Vince. They initiated the import of these helmets and worked their ass off to get me spare parts for mine. I could get a contact name of the person who knows it all if you want.

If you have one that would be great!! Thanks for the info. I love the looks of the helmet and how light it is. But researching everything else was so frustrating last year. If I'm not mistaken the U.S. Was just starting to see Airoh and there was limited info.

And your right!!!! I called Airoh and the person on the phone couldn't answer the first question or give me any info on where to find what I was looking for...... Thanks.

Hershey thanks for the info, those helmets look good. Helmets are only going to do so much, I don't think any helmet that passes the safety standards are bad. Obviously some are much better, but it all boils down to the particular impact. I know several people who have been knocked out in +400.00 helmets shout out to brother Jack, and cousin Greg, haha.
Point is, wear the helmet that you feel safe and confident in what your doing.
I wear a Troy lee air helmet, they're cheapest one. Yes I've been knocked out in one, but they look good. Ha

That explains a lot! Lol.....

I had my bell rung BAD in an Airoh that I had to retire. Georgie said I should have been dead. But WTF does a male nurse know?

If you really want to know
If an Airoh is good protection, just ask Rocksen, he was testing it all night tonight!

Back