Panic Rev - Local Riders that Follow?

KTMkarl794

PR Addict
Didn't want to hijack Strouble's thread but it got me thinking.

I would go out on a limb as say for most of us, on some level, motocross is a spiritual thing. For me, as a believer in Christ, I almost view it as a way to stay close to God, considering I pray every time I swing a leg over.

There is a ministry out West called Panic Rev that hold riding schools that also offer discipleship to the young guns to help lead them through life. Looks like a pretty cool thing to be a part of, especially with riders like Canard and Brett Cue that are active in the group.

Unfortunately there isn't that sort of thing around here that I'm aware of. So in an effort to connect with some guys that are followers, and also share a love for all things two-wheels, what's the verdict on here?

Disclaimer: I love meeting any new riding buddies, not discriminating in any way, just curious on local guys that think JC is pretty rad too.

Kevin Cozad has a MX Ministry also. He had a service Sunday evening in Daytona. His son races, and Kevin still rides 40A also.

Unfortunately there isn't that sort of thing around here that I'm aware of.

Have you ever looked into FCA - Fellowship of Christian Athletes?

I did a camp with them 2 years ago. It was youth oriented but very good. I spent 4 days with a super group of people. There are opportunities to volunteer and support. The have guest pros at their camps like Andrew Short, Ryan and Justin Sipes, Kevin Windham and others.

It might be of interest to you. The website is very informative. http://fcamx.com/

Dan

FCA MX Vision

To see the world impacted for Jesus Christ through the sport of motocross.

FCA MX MissionTo present racers, and those they influence, the challenge and adventure of receiving Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior, serving Him in their relationships and in the fellowship of the church.

FCA MX Values
Our relationships will demonstrate a steadfast commitment to honor Jesus Christ and His Word through: Integrity, Serving, Teamwork and Excellence.

I applaud your pursuit of a religion that suits your need.

However, it has become more and more common to force anybody that happens
to be at the rider's meeting to listen to a christian sermon, in spite of the fact
that many of the people present are not christians. Please consider having your
religion somewhere those that aren't christian can do their own thing. Like race.

Spent last weekend in Savannah where a christian sermon helped to make the track
run over curfew and we didn't get to run a final because of it. So I'm a little
sensitive.

When in the Bible belt you better expect that Sturd!

Wasnt there another group that Canard was part of the traveled around the US and held riding schools and such? I know they had a stop every year in Ohio.

I think you have a good idea, I also think Sturd hits a point though. Make sure it doesnt interfere with the races by keeping it off to the side. Have an announcement about the service over the PA and those of us who want to join in can. It only makes Christians look better when not forcing our religion on others.

Karl - I'm sure you know Sprosty right? I can't remember what he was a part of but I know he was invovled with some camp thing, most likely the one mentioned already.

Thanks for the info guys. Let me clarify that I'm not looking to hold a sermon at the track or races, I'm just curious about anything similar to the Panic Rev group around here locally, to help out with and possibly meet some inspiring people. Don't worry I'm not trying to make your track days sturd, I want to be out there too!

I completely agree, I was never the kind of guy that took well to anyone trying to force religion on me, it's something you have to find on your own, and at your pace, I'd still consider myself pretty new to the faith game.

Strouble posted in the Presidential Thread that he is choosing a different path to try and help people for the greater good, which kind of sparked this thought and resonated with me a bit.

This post is partially influence by one of those points in life that says, "Dude, you're almost 30...you've accomplished what you had set out to (college, career, all limbs still intact) so what's next? There's got to be something more fulfilling than this...."

I applaud your pursuit of a religion that suits your need.

However, it has become more and more common to force anybody that happens
to be at the rider's meeting to listen to a christian sermon, in spite of the fact
that many of the people present are not christians. Please consider having your
religion somewhere those that aren't christian can do their own thing. Like race.

Spent last weekend in Savannah where a christian sermon helped to make the track
run over curfew and we didn't get to run a final because of it. So I'm a little
sensitive.

Sturd, I am not a real religious alwasys attend church kind of guy, but I believe and do attend once and a while. I think what your posting here is what is exactly wrong with this country. It is a country founded on God, and a MAJORITY of the people are Christians. So why exactly are we supposed to bow down to non believers or people that don't have the time. I will NEVER complain about a prayer, service or whatever at a track. This country is going to HELL, and if someone perhaps finds God, or hears a message at the track, than I am totally ok with it. Just like I am OK with you going back to your trailer to get ready for your moto instead of listening to the sermon or prayer.

Lol.....dont worry, Sturd finds a reason to bitch and tell you how you are wrong on every thread.

Dont feel special because of it!

I should have known better than to start a Religion thread right after the Politics thread....

That's funny. I have often heard folks say "as long as we don't talk politics or religion, then we can be friends." Well, I don't spend much time with folks that have that attitude.

To answer your question...their is no organized ministry or fellowship here locally any longer. FCA has dissolved in this area.

Personally, I made sure to always have the Promoters permission to have a prayer before the races started and then a Bible service on the side if time allowed. But never to interfere with the program. I did say a prayer at the riders meeting...it was nice when we together as a Moto family.

Some folks didn't like that, so it was switched to the PA system before the national anthem, that way folks didn't feel obligated to participate.

I have encountered troubles in the MX scene by these things...but that's the way it goes.

I'm curious Sturd...was it an actual sermon or prayer that you are referring to at Savannah?

Personally...speaking of Christ is always on the forefront of my heart, but one of the last things I bring up in conversation...generally speaking. All depends on my relationship with the person.

I struggle.

Sturd, I am not a real religious alwasys attend church kind of guy, but I believe and do attend once and a while. I think what your posting here is what is exactly wrong with this country. It is a country founded on God, and a MAJORITY of the people are Christians. So why exactly are we supposed to bow down to non believers or people that don't have the time. I will NEVER complain about a prayer, service or whatever at a track. This country is going to HELL, and if someone perhaps finds God, or hears a message at the track, than I am totally ok with it. Just like I am OK with you going back to your trailer to get ready for your moto instead of listening to the sermon or prayer.
John...please expound on these thoughts in the Politics thread...I would love to hear more of what you have to say.

I'm curious Sturd...was it an actual sermon or prayer that you are referring to at Savannah?

Good question. Started with "I know there's a tight schedule and all so I'll make
this brief". Then he started talking and after what I estimate as 5 minutes, I looked
at my watch and started timing. Twelve minutes later he finally stopped.

The program was, about, 1/2 hour from being finished when they had to stop for
curfew. This butthead was responsible for half of that for no reason except his ego.

I blame the promoter more though. They knew hours before the curfew that we were
running late and they still had massive down times between races for no reason.
We traveled 11.5 hours one way to race and I wasn't happy about not racing.

As for John, guys like him are the reason the founding fathers thought it was
a good idea to prevent the government from establishing a state religion and
made it the First amendment.

Well Sturd...I hear ya on that.

As for what John said...George Washington said this "It is impossible to rightly govern a nation without God and the Bible." But, I would suggest taking that context to the politics thread if ya want to discuss it further.

To KtmKarl...I will be turning 30 this fall. I see where you coming from on that notion. I have often heard that the 30 mark is where things really start opening up as for the all the dots connecting in maturity for most. I moved on because I needed to, not because I wanted to; but as it turns out, it was the right thing to do. Although I don't want to forgoe our basic civil duties...we don't have any real hope outside of Jesus Christ. Stick with Him man, He is the real deal.

I am fully pursuaded now, no turning back. Yes, being on the bike is for sure a wonderful freedom, just like someone that enjoys fishing or whatever hobby they have.

To clarify what I said about not spending much time with folks that don't want welcome convo about politics or religion is because they are often closed off to any real conversation. That's hard for me to swallow because I have the gift of gab and listening.

That's pretty much the point of my post. I see a lot of guys at my church that have that same certainty...that He is the real deal. I think it's natural for everyone to kind of struggle to put their faith in someone or something entirely. I admit I struggle, sometimes it smacks me in the face, other times I'm a little unsure and have a hard time fathoming the concept of 100% pure unconditional love and forgiveness.

So given my love for all things two wheels and lack of guys that really share a passion for both Faith and Moto, I started this maybe thinking I might find some people to connect with. I really enjoy listening to people's stories of life and faith, especially when you can see/feel the certainty they have in it.

I've definitely been at the point in life where I feel like there is a plan for me, but I have no idea what it is, but I'm certain that sitting behind a desk all day and helping rich guys get richer isn't it. I want to know that the path I'm on is the path God chose me for.

So are you not participating in the sport anymore, or just taking a different path in terms of employment/career?

Last edited:
Here is Southwest Ohio, Jeff Cottrell is always preaching what he believes. He had a violent crash one day at DMC and I was one of the first guys there with him. To this day, Jeff claims he was healed by the lord, and he will tell anyone his story.

As I mentioned, I am not a regular church goer. To each their own. But at the end of the day, I feel we are better off with God and his principles in our lives, than without.

If I don't share in another person's beliefs, I am indifferent. I've never understood hostility and hatred towards something someone believes does not exist. Other's religious expressions do not offend me. I am respectful because it's important to them, and its the polite and classy way to deal with it.

The first Amendment prohibits a state sanctioned religion. It also protects free expression of religion. A race is not a state function. A race promoter has the right to hold a two hour sermon at a mandatory riders meeting if they choose. Your only 1st Amendment right is to leave and not race there if you don't like it, or find it offensive.

Personally I'm grateful for the invocation before a race. Personally, I would not attempt to slip a sermon or a service into one. Nor do I particularly appreciate an AMA infomercial shoved into one either, but I can walk away without being disrespectful.

In reference to the OP, somebody used to be at Summit indoors and other places giving info on some kind of Christian motocross camp for kids. I wish I could remember the name. I'm pretty sure they were at Summit last year. I don't know about this year.

Separation of church and state.

Freedom of religion.

Just happened to be our founders were Christian but open to the idea of allowing others to practice their own religion.

Isnt that what our country was found on john250

I'm a little unsure and have a hard time fathoming the concept of 100% pure unconditional love and forgiveness.

I want to know that the path I'm on is the path God chose me for.

So are you not participating in the sport anymore, or just taking a different path in terms of employment/career?
Part of my testimony is that when I received true salvation...my heart was changed from hatred to love. Given my background...I had many reasons to be angry and bitter that caused many problems for me and still affects me to this day, prolly will the rest of my life. God has taught me so much about love through His complete work on the cross.

You want to know His plan for you? Just put Him first...seek to honor Him in your daily decisions. You won't be perfect...trust me, I could give you a laundry list of my personal closet skeletons. You could follow me around for a week and have a list of shortcomings to Gods standards. Even so...He continues to be faithful to me. So dude, just seek Him and be willing to be lead by Him. We for certain know that He wants us to love Him and each other.

Vitally important...be in prayer and the word daily.

My decision to move on from Motocross...I have been thinking about what to say since I first read your question. First, I still love the sport and the people. That will never change, that is all part of who I am.

Someday I will share my full heart if the opportunity comes, I am still working through peace in my heart on the matter. I am certain of this...Jesus Christ is alive and coming back, the Bible is true, this world is in great need of true preachers, and that I am taking the correct action in response to my convictions. It's our souls and eternity that is at stake.

Faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.

You only need a lick of sense to see that the world is in bad shape. Motocross is not important in the big picture, but it is important to us.

I am a fan and a friend in the MX Community and Family.

The hardest thing for me to do is walk the walk.

Back