How to make motocross safer?

Anyone have any thoughts on safety equiptment? Maybe develop something new? Maybe we could turn to trying to help the problem? Think outside the box. Ive been around motocross sence 1976 and I know theres guys on here that's saw more than me. What do you think?

Love the idea of new safety equipment, but if its not worn, it cant work. We need rules to eliminate the option.
Front and back protection, neck braces, GOOD helmets, GOOD boots, pants, long sleeve shirts, gloves, goggles must be mandatory. Knee braces highly suggested.
Maybe just require people to listen to their mothers. Go to a local race and watch the 50's and 65's. 100% yesterday wore chest and back protection. 90% had neck braces.
Moms goes to the race and the kids wear the protection. Thanks Mom

Oh btw. Only injuries I seen were on big bikes. At least one I noticed, was too cool for a chest protector and neck brace.

I won't race with a bear trap on my neck. If you want to pad your kid up like raphie's brother in the christmas story and throw him on a bike then do it.

Neck braces in my opinion aren't gods gift to the brown world of motocross.

Full face DOT/SNELL app'v Helmet
Chest Protector
Knee Pads at least(or Braces if they choose)
Sturdy Motocross boot
Long sleeve pant and shirt.

The sport needs data. I wear everything except a chest protector (buying one this year though), but to Georgie's point, how can we "make" someone wear a neck brace if there is not data supporting it's use? There is no crash data, minimal safety gear data, etc. That's where the big corporations and sanctioning bodies come in. They have to fund 3rd party testing. There are times when I consider quitting on the neck brace. I've heard as much negative comments about them as I have positive. Who is to say that a neck brace couldn't make an injury worse? I don't believe that, personally, but someone might. These are all things that need sorted out before anyone can make it mandatory. Too many lawsuits in this country for that.

I think the inflatable vest is something to look into. If we can protect the neck head and spine that would be most of the battle. Arms and legs will heal or can be repaired

I wore a Leatt since it came out. I ditched it back in March. My son still wears his, but I keep reading stuff on the web......I am 50-50 on them at this point.

I wore a Leatt since it came out. I ditched it back in March. My son still wears his, but I keep reading stuff on the web......I am 50-50 on them at this point.
John, what do you think of the inflatable vest idea, if it were adapted for motocross, would you try one?

I am game for anything, lol. I will be a guinea pig. I can see myself bouncing like a ball back up in the air, lol. I have seen the ones for Moto GP. Not sure they would work for MX

I am game for anything, lol. I will be a guinea pig. I can see myself bouncing like a ball back up in the air, lol. I have seen the ones for Moto GP. Not sure they would work for MX
They make one for horse riders that may be closer to what would work. Hit Air .com Check it out

I think the Atlas brace is the way to go. RV still wears it. The twin back spars keep the brace off your spine so there is no chance of spinal injury. Plus it is MUCH less invasive than the Leatt. I feel naked without it.

I think the inflatable vest is the way to go once the correct technology is there. The tether cord will work is many instances but not all.

I thing the type B vest would be a good place to start. I intend to buy a few of these this summer and see what there all about.

That flagger was all over it.......he is the first flagger I have ever seen wearing a chest protector front and back, lol. He has one on, but none of the riders do!

The other thing I noticed, when the guy hits the fence, he is lucky he did not put one of those metal fence post through himself.

He couldn't get to where he needed to be safely. But he was causing a raucous so people lay off.

And when they weren't down the guy looked like an outfielder in baseball waiting to grab up a crash.

It oissed me off when there's plenty of time to get to the right side of a jump and the flagger stands there with the flag held at a stamd still with half of it wrapped up on the stick.

He couldn't get to where he needed to be safely. But he was causing a raucous so people lay off.

And when they weren't down the guy looked like an outfielder in baseball waiting to grab up a crash.

It oissed me off when there's plenty of time to get to the right side of a jump and the flagger stands there with the flag held at a stamd still with half of it wrapped up on the stick.
When you cant see him till you over the jump you don't have much choice

I just saw on facebook that there is a female racer that had an accident and is paralyzed from the chest down.

Back