How to make motocross safer?

I'm still thinking, "why isn't Asterisk crew or somebody collecting data"? I know, that's
only pro but gotta start somewhere. How are people really getting hurt, with numbers,
would at least let the industry now the extent of the problem.

Anecdotes are great for politics but not when kids are getting hurt.

well. Rollers in theory slow up the track.

But in lap 4 johnny goes tank slap happy and wads up.

Walls in theory slow up the track.

But in lap 4 johnny whiskey roosts on the downside and ghost rides his bike into Timmy and wads them both up.

Sand sections in theory slow up the track

But in lap 4 Johnny swip swaps and takes a cross bar pad to the non dot wearing and non snell approved face.

Where does that leave us?

Totally correct on all accounts. However, Is it possible that the chance for serious injury would be less in those instances? I guess that's another question. Is it worth it to have a few more non-life-altering injuries and a few less life-altering injuries? I don't know. If that was the case, I'd love to see our local boys still walking and guys like Hoeft still here. Excellent point though, man. Worth the discussion.

Yeah I don't know but rollers make for a crash hot spot. All these obstacles create a crash hazard.

We are in between a rock and hard place.

Lorettas doesn't produce a ton of injury. Possibly because that track doesnt flow nor does it have insane obstacles....

Muddy creek has no crazy jumps all tables or single table. They do have a large uphill triple that was defaced and no one even tried to jump it. It was my first time there at the llq last week.Saw no injury, and no lack of good racing. I like big jumps, but there was no lack of fun on my part.

Yeah I don't know but rollers make for a crash hot spot. All these obstacles create a crash hazard.

We are in between a rock and hard place.

Lorettas doesn't produce a ton of injury. Possibly because that track doesnt flow nor does it have insane obstacles....

The Ten Commandments bit me pretty hard!

But, because they aren't high speed or high altitude, I walked away. I think most of crashes you will see in rollers/sand/walls are going to be way less severe and caused mostly due to lack of experience and physical conditioning. IMO that's better than when lack of experience causes a rider to wad up on a 100' triple.

again i have to ask the question of how many guys do you see wadding up on 100 foot triples? I'm not against smaller jumps, some of the funnest jumps are sometimes pretty small IMO.. BUT I'm just getting at that i don't personally see smaller jumps fixing things... it certainly doesnt hurt, but i haven't personally seen too many injuries due to large jumps. hell ive broken more bones off little tiny things than anything else.

again i have to ask the question of how many guys do you see wadding up on 100 foot triples? I'm not against smaller jumps, some of the funnest jumps are sometimes pretty small IMO.. BUT I'm just getting at that i don't personally see smaller jumps fixing things... it certainly doesnt hurt, but i haven't personally seen too many injuries due to large jumps. hell ive broken more bones off little tiny things than anything else.

cough cough joe rice cough cough.

Just kidding, Joe is a hell of a rider, with balls bigger than his head. I was more so pointing out that every obstacle can be a potential risk for injury, but the consequences are less severe on an obstacle that doesn't have you falling out of the sky and fighting the continuous acceleration of gravity.

I mean personally I freaking love big jumps...but I'm not going to be dumb and say they aren't risky.

cough cough joe rice cough cough.

Just kidding, Joe is a hell of a rider, with balls bigger than his head. I was more so pointing out that every obstacle can be a potential risk for injury, but the consequences are less severe on an obstacle that doesn't have you falling out of the sky and fighting the continuous acceleration of gravity.

I mean personally I freaking love big jumps...but I'm not going to be dumb and say they aren't risky.

Joe rice isn't human. Doesn't count.

And you broke 2 wrists at one time how again??

Lol

Agreed, I broke my leg off a small 30 foot double I've done 385828 times.. Seems always the smaller ones you take for granted that bite ya

And you broke 2 wrists at one time how again??

Lol

well yeah but that wasnt on your every day motocross track that the public rides. that was on an pro ax track. i was waiting for that..haha.

the only bigger jump ive ever got hurt on was due to watering on the face of the jump and i slid out coming off of it and came up short a bit sideways.. every other injury, and theres been a lot, have all been on like pit bike sized jumps lol.. or first turn wrecks.

I have had a track at my property for over 20 years and have seen a lot of guys hurt on bigger jumps. The injuries range form broken back to broken ribs and punctured lung. I would have to say the wrecks on the big jumps aren't as common but when they happen it is usually bad. I feel the reason is the speed required to do those jumps just increase the impact when people wreck. I have seen injuries on jumps like that without wrecking on more than one occasion( broken wrists, ankles and also knee injuries).

Speed to me is the biggest factor in the severity of the injuries. You will never eliminate injures in motocross but I feel the injuries overall would be less severe if the track speeds are lower. Just my $.02

Just met a guy today that got hurt at the quad national, said his name was chris. All he did was come to a dead stop when he changed lines and his skid plate caught the dirt. Guy was in a good spirits, but he was in a neck collar and back brace.

That didn't happen on a jump. Happened in a rut....

One way to reduce speeds is to reduce displacement of the machines. The AMA and the factories are equally to blame for allowing four strokes double the displacement of two strokes. That rule opened up the floodgates for all the classes to have larger displacement machines. It takes a lot more skill to race a 25hp machine than a 60hp machine, but the speeds would be reduced. Have a true 125 class or even 100 class as entry level classes.

Just met a guy today that got hurt at the quad national, said his name was chris. All he did was come to a dead stop when he changed lines and his skid plate caught the dirt. Guy was in a good spirits, but he was in a neck collar and back brace.

That didn't happen on a jump. Happened in a rut....

Must have been taddie. He got hurt at echeconnee near Macon Ga a few weeks ago.

But people would still ride them. Cant force everyone to 125s. I have rode 450s for a while now, and I would not want to ride a 250.

450's are open class bikes. Age classes have no displacement limit. I am talking about A, B, C classes having 125cc or 250cc limit regardless of 2 or 4 stroke.

Back