How to make motocross safer?

So...any local promoter can look at this thread and get some ideas. And they should.

Personally...thank you everyone for contributing.

BTW...I only cited the schooling choice as not let motocross be the ONLY reason to have a child home schooled.

Reading material can and should be available on the basics of the sport...required or not is a different question.

Aside from the promoters...would you (any parent or rider) be willing to walk up to someone new at the track or someone that makes your stomach fall when you watch and go talk with them about the dangers and safety of our sport?

My bottom line in this...is where do our values lay? What message are we sending to up and coming riders?

I have no issue with parents home schooling for the right reasons. Unfortunately, I question the home schooling for MX only. These kids got to MTF or SOTB or where ever to ride and train every single day. They are hitting races on the weekends. I question whether these kids are truly getting an education that is preparing them for a college education. Because at the end of the day, one crash, and they are out of a motocross career. And very few get the factory rides that then lands them jobs with the industry after retirement.

As other sports have moved to a minimum age for the professionals, I feel it is time for moto to do the same. A player in the nba now must attend at least one year of college. Nfl is two year minimum. Nhl is one year out of high school. Moto needs the same. If you are a "professional" then that should require some sort of minimum in age and or education. I would really like to see a minimum age of 19. Even better would be the establishment of collegiate teams (before you say it. If they can have college fishing teams. Then they can have college race teams)

Interesting news story on NBC news tonight about youth Bull riding, and the dangers of it. Said in the last few years catastrophic injuries and deaths have increased 109%. Later in the story one father even mentions some kids riding motocross, well his kids ride bulls. They mentioned that special breeding of the calfs and bulls were causing bulls that are tougher and meaner to make it harder to ride them. Millions of dollars are spent to breed bulls that kick, buck, and turn harder and faster......Just like motorcycles, the equipment in bull riding and lack of safety standards are being blamed.

Here is a link to the story, I am sure later on tonight NBC News will have the actual video up on it to watch.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/texas-kids-brave-pain-rodeo-glory-n329696

That was interesting. We were in Cody Wy last June and did not go to the rodeo (I think
it happens every night but monday) in spite of staying nearly across the street for 3 nights when
my wife found out there was a 6 year old class. "I don't want to see that" and I guess we
agreed. No idea why people think it's fun to ride something with a brain that might not
be interested in the same thing they are.

Well, I dont want to take up a sport that ends in a crash every ride...just saying.

Yes , I know I crash enough. But even Football you take tough hits every play. Motocross is great exercise, and all my friends are motocross folks.
Seems off the tracks personalities and other hobbies seem to be similar.

I am with KW, I almost wish my 8 year old had no interest in bikes. So glad he does.
but, I don't know if I would want him to pursue a career in motocross.
( he wont anyway, but I would have mixed emotions)

Those kids are riding those bulls cause they think it will make their Dad or Mom happy.
how could a 6 year old kid look at a bull and say he wants to ride it.

Should they require neck braces? Talk about whip lash.
Motocross is safe compared to that sport.

The 6 year old class used to ride sheep. They hang onto them for as long as possible. They still should.

But the last few seconds that kid looked pumped. Perhaps they like it. Like 6 her olds like to ride dirtbikes.

Last edited:
Reading all this in my eye everyone is correct. I've had my big crash and my helmet hangs on Jeremy's tree of shame for it. My situation was a freak thing. I've jumped that triple a million times, but in my eye, I DID SOMETHING WRONG. I do agree with the people that say rider. 9 times out of 10 times I do feel it is the riders fault. We choose what we want to jump. No one is forcing us to jump things.

Now can track promotors help us out? Oh heck yes!!! I do think it would be great to have lots of turns and some smaller jumps. Slow the tracks down I agree with all the way. And of course more forgiving landings. KDub even said, at Vegas fans would love to see all the top riders there and racing then the guys who are lets over that have been lucky to not KO themselves.

As far as the size of the bikes being the issue, I think not. I think the bike size makes people feel cocky and do dumb stuff. People I think feel because they have the 450 they should be able to do that 120' triple so easy, and then they get a nice trip for it. Think of the 90's......how much did we all freak over safety? Yes our sport was still dangerous, but I don't think we was as many deaths as we are now. I'm not saying we need to rid the 450, but I think if AMA made us we would hate it, but get over it and later on probably be glad they did.

well. Rollers in theory slow up the track.

But in lap 4 johnny goes tank slap happy and wads up.

Walls in theory slow up the track.

But in lap 4 johnny whiskey roosts on the downside and ghost rides his bike into Timmy and wads them both up.

Sand sections in theory slow up the track

But in lap 4 Johnny swip swaps and takes a cross bar pad to the non dot wearing and non snell approved face.

Where does that leave us?

Back