How to make motocross safer?

BriarcliffMx

PR Founding Father
My thoughts are with the Hoeft family. Manufacturers drop the CCs and the track will have to conform, just like they have expanded because of these modern 4 strokes.

John250

PR Founding Father
Not sure I blame the 450s as much as the track designs. I think tracks need to be designed to slow the riders down, and not put them so high in the air. Speed, plus height, equals impacts your body can not take.

Look at road racing. They run 150 mph and get thrown off bikes, but guys don't get killed near as much as in motocross today. In road racing, they are not falling from the sky and taking the impact on their body.

Look at tracks of the 80s. Riders did not fly near as high or far as they do today. And they did not have the deaths and life changing injuries that we have today.

sturd

PR Addict
Inflatable jackets. By the time it inflates it's too late.

What you wanna bounce on air after the initial heaviest hitting impact? What's that gonna do?

As I said, hard to do for motocross. But the MotoGP ones have sensors that figure out something
is wrong and this here body is no longer on the motorcycle, it has crashed. They inflate before
first impact. An algorithm for that on a motocrosser is harder, for sure, but I don't see
anything that makes it impossible. Just really really hard.

First fix, in my mind, is to figure out what is hurting people. Is it always jumps? Rookies?
Fast bikes? With data it might be that there are things that can be done.

Does Asterisk study the crashes that they end up treating people for at the SX? Seems like
a logical place to start with Pros at least.

stein943

PR Member
Inflatable jackets. By the time it inflates it's too late.

What you wanna bounce on air after the initial heaviest hitting impact? What's that gonna do?

That's just a false sense of security to let the 130lb kid on the 450 Go even harder.

These guys at Detroit today are struging and that track looks scary. It doesn't even look fun for how difficult it is. Does it need to be that difficult of a track?!?!

I can ride a 450 in shape. But when I'm tired that thing will hurt me. I can ride a 125 or 250 2 stroke tired and it won't hurt me like the snappy 450 will. But as a rider you have to realize this. And as a parent you have to realize putting your 130lb kid on that 450 is just as stupid as me riding a 450 out of shape. One millisecond tank slap away from injury or death.
Why don't you read about it before you make a comment!! You don't even know how it works.

GeorgiePorgie

PR Founding Father
I read hOw it works. Don't think it will work in a SX application. I see that damn thing inflating when our guys scrub the s**t out of something. Or when they totally almost wad and save it.

Like sturdd said have fun writing a famn computer program that can figure out if they're actually crashing. It isn't as easy as determining if a road racer gets out of shape....

hershey

PR Elite
Its the bikes, the track designs and riders all combined in a prehistoric stew. Its all connected.

I ride a 450 AND and 125. I can tell you that the only difference is the "whiskey throttle" effect. Other than that maybe a rider wont jump 250' on the 125 but he could still hit a 150' jump on it. Crash on either the right way and your dead. The rider makes the choice to jump something not the bike. But on the flip side if the jump isnt on the race track the rider isnt going to jump it. If the jump on the track isnt a high speed jump the rider wont go as fast.

Then we have the incidents where riders have been killed because they were n the track and hit a tractor or water truck. Then we have riders getting landed on under caution.

And of course then we have the fluke crashes where neither the bike, rider or anyone else is at fault. Sometimes s**t just happens. Those are much easier to swallow.

We can beat this one to death also and we will until ALL of the possible causes are addressed. Of course the track designs and track safety workers/initiatives will only help at the organized events.

stein943

PR Member
Its the bikes, the track designs and riders all combined in a prehistoric stew. Its all connected.

I ride a 450 AND and 125. I can tell you that the only difference is the "whiskey throttle" effect. Other than that maybe a rider wont jump 250' on the 125 but he could still hit a 150' jump on it. Crash on either the right way and your dead. The rider makes the choice to jump something not the bike. But on the flip side if the jump isnt on the race track the rider isnt going to jump it. If the jump on the track isnt a high speed jump the rider wont go as fast.

Then we have the incidents where riders have been killed because they were n the track and hit a tractor or water truck. Then we have riders getting landed on under caution.

And of course then we have the fluke crashes where neither the bike, rider or anyone else is at fault. Sometimes *!*!*!*! just happens. Those are much easier to swallow.

We can beat this one to death also and we will until ALL of the possible causes are addressed. Of course the track designs and track safety workers/initiatives will only help at the organized events.
Ok, what do you think can be done to help protect the rider? You cant sell a racer a slow bike and no factory is gonna build a slow bike. If you build a track that us vet riders think are safe no one under the age of 50 will want to ride on it. So I think that leaves us at riding gear. Any more ideas?

Ryan598

PR Member
To me the only thing that can help safety is track designs. I would say most anyone can ride a 250f faster than they can a 450. Therefore less power doesn't translate to safety to me.

Slow down the tracks and take out the jumps that cause problems. Don't make a triple. Just make it a double or better yet a table top. Throw some more corners in there. I find it funny that anyone would blame a bikes power over a track design.

Strouble

PR Addict
What can be practically implemented on a local level right now?

I am all for some higher standards on protective gear for racing as for what is required to be worn. But you can't force knee braces or neck braces. You can enforce knee pads and check protectors to the list of already required gear on race day.

Your not gonna get me to wear a neck brace...personal choice.

Training the track crew is a good place to start.
Riders meeting context is a good place to start.
A safety release form for riders covering safety basics on participation that must be read and on file evey annual year at each track you participate.
Promoters to take a good look at their track designs without saying go pound salt...gonna do it my way.
Rider Booklet for parents/riders just covering the basics of the sport.
Rider safety camps. A ride day with instruction focused on safety.
Each person no matter position or rider to truly examine their intentions and what is important in life.
Don't let motocross be the sole reason for home schooling.
Parents can grow up before trying to make their kids go faster.
Riders can honor good sportsmanship.
A low key medical staff to travel to local tracks regularly...mainly to handle getting the rider from the race track to safety.
For some folks to get off their high horse and get some skin in the game.
Leave the lame excuses or ego for anything at the door, especially when it involves safety and working together.
Accountable and honorable behavior by all.
No drinking under 21.
Cops staffed at major events.
A feasible way for mature pit vehicles.
No cutting the track.
A little more generous with the red flag.
Don't bend the rules for your own personal gain.

To be truly safe from injury...don't ride...personal choice.
It's obvious but hasn't been stated...riding is inherently dangerous.

Last edited:

GeorgiePorgie

PR Founding Father
Maybe we have to go a step further and say:

books-clipart.png

I'm not advocating for THOUSANDS of debt in college. But I'm saying EDUCATE THESE KIDS AND STOP PULLING THEM OUT OF SCHOOL AT 8 TO RACE IN A SPORT THAT ONLY PAYS LESS THAN 10 GUYS.

NOBODY IS MAKING MONEY RACING A DIRTBIKE. 0.00000000000001% of the worlds population is.

I have no idea how to even attack this dynamic because at 17 I would of loved nothing more than to risk my life for a supercross race. Now that i'm 28 I can see how idiotic I was.

stein943

PR Member
Maybe we have to go a step further and say:

books-clipart.png

I'm not advocating for THOUSANDS of debt in college. But I'm saying EDUCATE THESE KIDS AND STOP PULLING THEM OUT OF SCHOOL AT 8 TO RACE IN A SPORT THAT ONLY PAYS LESS THAN 10 GUYS.

NOBODY IS MAKING MONEY RACING A DIRTBIKE. 0.00000000000001% of the worlds population is.

I have no idea how to even attack this dynamic because at 17 I would of loved nothing more than to risk my life for a supercross race. Now that i'm 28 I can see how idiotic I was.
missing the point

fryracing378

PR Member
wow can we just go play stick ball. wait someone will get hurt because its the nature of of human race to be competitive. someone is going to train harder work harder. so that raises the bar for everyone else. is it right or wrong don't matter. im not going to let you beat me. is the attitude taken. I for one know about injuries my son had about all of them. it sucks yes it does. but every time he waunted back on that bike. for me to stop him would of hurt him worse than any crash he took.this is a very unique sport its not for the weak no matter what age you are. nascar has roll cages. monster trucks have roll cages .mx has alot of thrill junkies. I don't think its the riders or the tracks. its what we do. its what we love. its a passion that only the ones who do it understand. why there is no why. does anyone want to loose a loved one no. but its a part of life. so enjoy it while you can. and lets not even get started on freestyle mx.

KX514

PR Member
wow can we just go play stick ball. wait someone will get hurt because its the nature of of human race to be competitive. someone is going to train harder work harder. so that raises the bar for everyone else. is it right or wrong don't matter. im not going to let you beat me. is the attitude taken. I for one know about injuries my son had about all of them. it sucks yes it does. but every time he waunted back on that bike. for me to stop him would of hurt him worse than any crash he took.this is a very unique sport its not for the weak no matter what age you are. nascar has roll cages. monster trucks have roll cages .mx has alot of thrill junkies. I don't think its the riders or the tracks. its what we do. its what we love. its a passion that only the ones who do it understand. why there is no why. does anyone want to loose a loved one no. but its a part of life. so enjoy it while you can. and lets not even get started on freestyle mx.

So you aren't interested in making the sport safer in any way? Even if it meant one person's life was saved? Even if it meant one person walked to work instead of someone wheeling them around? I think we all understand the "it's mx and it's dangerous" argument. That doesn't mean you should ever stop trying to save a life. We're talking about improving the sport, not changing it into figure skating. That attitude breeds complacancy.

ck1racerx

PR Addict
fryracing378, that was the dumbest thing I have ever seen on this site. Its part of life? You freaking idiot, We are talking about a teen age kid that went to the races with his parents and was KILLED.. Not a broken arm, not a concussion. DEAD. How do you think those parents felt on the drive home?
Damn, its no wonder why this sport has the reputation for being full of dumb people. Have some compassion you heartless bastard.
If you ever see me in the pits, please walk the other direction. I don't know who you are and I don't want to.

John250

PR Founding Father
I agree, it is a dangerous sport. I try not to think about the what can happen scenario. My son is 12, and I do not want him hurt. I fully understand it can happen, but if we can take steps to keep people from having the serious injuries, I am all for it. At the end of the day it is motocross. There are WAY more important things in life to be passionate about.

As for Georgie's comments, I agree 100%. Just learned of another MX family that is going to home school. I personally think the kids need the socialization that comes with kids being in school with other kids and adults. I also believe it is important for them to be involved in some other things besides MX too.

Double D

PR Founding Father
Safer Supercross. Maybe Make the track a little wider? Possibly less bikes?
With a stacked field you hate to leave anyone out of a main.
Lappers and too many bikes make dangerous situations for sure.