How to make motocross safer?

But why build some thing as a promoter that you know is tough, and people will try? Is it worth the chopper coming in to haul someone off? I thought your track was a little easier this past year, but yet is was challenging and fun. But yet you have said on here, that you may make it much tougher again this year. So is that contributing to the problem?
He means you will be using your brakes a lot more, more corners=slower speeds, etc.

Accepting life altering or live ending injuries as "just part of the sport" is ridiculous if not criminal. Do racers ride over their heads and attempt maneuvers exceeding their ability? Of course, but this happens in all motorsports and always has. If this did not happen then every race would end in a tie. Is it the result of technology advancements in the machinery? Sure, that plays into it. The bikes are MUCH more powerful then in decades past, but if this were the true root cause we would all die every time we rode.
Weather you like it or not, the highest contributing factor is the track design and layout. Other, if not ALL forms of motorsports have accepted this and made several steps in reducing the number or issues. 24 hours of Le Mans had huge crashes for years on a high speed straight, how was it corrected? A tight corner to slow the speeds. F1 killed some of the most famous racers before making big changes to all the tracks and tons of changes to the cars. Nascar accepts the high speeds (even though they have taken measures to slow the cars though restrictor plates) and developed soft walls and paving run off areas to reduce slide offs into walls.
Want an example of a better track design? Look at Loretta's, Now I know there have been injuries there but the fact they have the longest motos and most entries and few serious injuries is the perfect example of how to build a competitive yet safe track. A decade ago they had large jumps in the middle of the track and every year some bone head would try to jump it on the first lap of practice and what a surprise, they would hurt themselves and sometimes others. How did they fix it? Removed the obstacle and changed the layout in that area. Now the entire track is rough with rollers everywhere and were speeds are high there are zero jumps. (Maybe the double in the back before the sand but even 50's can jump that.)
Build a safe track... all tracks... if the riders want big stupid jumps, tell them to find another place to race. If all tracks do this then the option to find those killer obstacles are eliminated. If they want to go to Bob's track in his back yard that has big jumps, then fine. Bye. But if the sanctioning body that holds the races inspects the tracks before competition, and has dangerous obstacles removed or reworked, we would at least be doing SOMETHING to improve the outcome.
Yes, injuries will happen. But doing nothing or expecting the OEM's to come to the rescue, is just wrong.

Do not accept it as part of the sport. It does not have to be.

Anyone following Freestone the last few days? How can motocross be made safer? Or is this just the way it is? Is it the tracks? Should we outlaw Quad jumps before they become normal on all tracks like triples? Is it the bikes? To much power? To much speed? Restricter plates? Rider protective gear? I don't know but its getting scary. Its been scary, just seems worst, or maybe Im an old man that worries to much. Is it time to think outside the box? Anyone have ideas? Thanks

This is no small softly spoken conversation. Motocross Action magazine editors have ran several articles on the topic, and I think with hopes to create sense of urgency for change. For starters they do directly blame the AMA for the original decisions that led to the creations of the 450-4. And every year they address the individual pro racing Rules that don't do enough and often contribute to the problems.

I hope my information from freestone was incorrect and its not as bad as I heard, maybe I shouldn't have said anything till I was sure. Sorry for that. As for the track changing, isn't any good rider going to find was to combine things to make faster lap times? That's their job. I don't think we can blame 4 strokes because if the factorys put all that r+d time and money into the 2stroke , think what we would have!

This sounds stupid but how about some type of device that would inflate to give the rider some protection when he leaves the machine in a crash? Don't know if that's even possable

...the highest contributing factor is the track design and layout.

Wrong. It's the rider twisting the throttle. Didn't read the rest of your gobbly gook though. Stopped there pretty much. When will peeps take the blame for their actions and quit trying to blame someone else for their misfortune? It definately runs wild in our society... Obviously in MX as well. Always has to be someone else that has to "make it safer", "make me ride better", "make me slow down", etc... Of course we do not talk about the millions that seem to navigate their daily lives without mishap. Just the few than do not. DO NOT misunderstand my comment as not caring for those that are impacted, just as let's be real here.

Of course anything can be improved, but why must everyone be punished for the few than cannot get through their day?? Just is what us fun loving folk have to deal with...the critics an neh sayers... 'tis a daily battle...

I'm done. HATE this post. Nothing good about it. Just more so a bunch of whine and placing blame arses. Just me I guess. I'll get over it...

Do riders really want the size and difficulty of jumps on some tracks, I think NOT. The "BEST TRACK IN OHIO" as voted by riders seems to have a better than average safety record. Might check some of the track owners egos for the answer.

Scoob, so your saying the track designers are builders are not at fault at all and cant control some of it? It is only the blame of the rider?

I've coached football for 8 years. The rules in the last 8 years in football have changed. From the NFL to the local youth football. Penalties, equipment is evolving, how we coach tackling, with the heads up football program. If we follow your logic, the kids playing high school, college or NFL football are at fault. They know that spearing a guy can hurt the other player and also cause them head and neck injuries, but if they want to run full steam ahead, and cause a huge crashing impact because it makes them tougher, and a better player it is OK?

I am not following your logic, or agreeing totally with it.

Everyone wants put part of the blame on big jumps but honestly how many times do you see guys really hurt on big jumps?? Its usually the stupid crashes over little stuff that get you.. or those really high speed sections.. but rarley do you see it happen on big jumps.

John, the thing about racing is to be the fastest, right? I remember the day when that was all that mattered when I was on the race track.

I guess im thinking of a way to protect a rider the way nascar makes rules to help protect a driver, but I don't think you can put a roll cage on a dirt bike.

Just pulled up the video. If he got hurt on the finish then it would have to be all him. That is not a ridiculous obstacle.

ck1, that really dosent matter. Im not interested in blaming anyone for mx crashes. It happens to fast and slow guys, never gonna change that. Im interested in ideas to help make a rider safer, make the sport safer.

I hope my information from freestone was incorrect and its not as bad as I heard, maybe I shouldn't have said anything till I was sure. Sorry for that. As for the track changing, isn't any good rider going to find was to combine things to make faster lap times? That's their job. I don't think we can blame 4 strokes because if the factorys put all that r+d time and money into the 2stroke , think what we would have!

We would have direct injection two strokes that are able to pass emissions standards. I'm a FIRM believer that 4 strokes get people in trouble faster, and smokers take skill to ride faster.

NO matter what, the factor at the end of the day that matters the MOST is the rider. Bikes/Tracks/Promoters do not FORCE anyone to try something out of their league. And most riders these days are going big for the recognition of being dumb enough to go big. Have I been bitten by the same bug before, sure, it feels pretty awesome to sail a 100ft+ jump. But I've had to earn the skill to do that with years of practice and lots of crashes.

However, it all plays a roll. The bike, the track, the jumps, everything. There are two sides to every coin, always another perspective. You want big jumps that are "safe"? Sorry, no jump is "safe." But they can be improved, build massive step up's so you aren't falling out of the sky with so much downward momentum your legs will snap.

Baja is a good example, lots of BIG jumps, but at the Baja Brawl this year I don't think I saw one rider mangle himself on that step up. The massive step down's on the other hand...gravity is not your friend.

The 4 stroke has nothing to do with emission standards as it and the 2stroke mx bikes are racers and don't fall under those rules. Do you have any thoughts on how to protect a rider?

What is wrong with blame? If you don't address the faults because your afraid you will hurt someone feeling, nothing will happen.
Of course the rider is to blame... No crap... No one is forcing you to ride or jump anything. THAT is racing. you do it, and accept the consequences. But not doing EVERYTHING to eliminate the causes is just nuts. I can tell everyone to not try the triple 1,000,000 times and someone will try it. Remove the triple and 100% will never jump it. You don't have to make a flat track nor a mile long Supercross.

Watching the live feed. Can not believe the number of riders without a chest protector and or neck brace. Again, that is the riders fault for doing it. The parents fault for allowing it, and the promoters fault for enabling it.

Track operators have to realize they operate "consumer" businesses" no different than Disney World, Cedar Point or Kings Island.

The basic premise of these types of companies is that they provide fun, excitement and enjoyment but in an environment that reduces the potential for individuals to make stupid decisions. And they continuously monitor and modify their facilities to reduce unintended consequences. Surly if track operators took the same approach we could move to a safer world in an inherently dangerous sport.

Back