How to make motocross safer?

Scoob, so your saying the track designers are builders are not at fault at all and cant control some of it? It is only the blame of the rider?

I've coached football for 8 years. The rules in the last 8 years in football have changed. From the NFL to the local youth football. Penalties, equipment is evolving, how we coach tackling, with the heads up football program. If we follow your logic, the kids playing high school, college or NFL football are at fault. They know that spearing a guy can hurt the other player and also cause them head and neck injuries, but if they want to run full steam ahead, and cause a huge crashing impact because it makes them tougher, and a better player it is OK?

I am not following your logic, or agreeing totally with it.
Dammit John. Don't call me out. I was done with this post...WAS. ;)

I am saying the focus needs to be shifted to the rider more so. Can track owners do something more? Well hell ya. Does it affect everyone, idiots, egomaniacs, blame shifters, the ones who ride without mishap? Hell ya. Is that ALWAYS a good thing? Hell no. Can you almost always go back to rider error for a crash? I'd bet so...

So you are saying since the NFL instituted the spearing rule, etc., there is never an idiot that still does it? Yes, ALL players control what they do within themselves. Can they help when they are going low and then the runner goes low causing a helmet to helmet? No. Whose fault is it? The fields? The goal post glare at the 50 yard line? C'mon John. I thought you were a smart guy here... AND by the way, I've seen biddy league tacking. It is not being taught. Just bumping into someone does not tackle them in most cases. Heck, in the NFL they don't tackle either. What ever happen to wrapping and tackling?...

In that, the kids are being taught. Supposedly by folks who know better. How are our MXers learning? Well, I fear in some cases by trial and error as I have. Broken a lot of bones. Even taken a flight in my early days. Who do I blame? ME...well, except for that flight. I blame another idiot for that, but I'm over that these days. Just trying to enjoy what's left of my riding days...trying...

Larroco's leap..... Only the best will attempt it.
Sometimes more difficult is safer. stay with me.( I wont even think about many big gaps)
Some may try a moderately difficult jump. But very few will attempt a Larocco's leap.

If you do! Make sure film is running! and if you do a flip off your bike make sure you stick the landing !!! Like Leap Man from the Hudak clan did!

Want our sport to be safer? Every person and every facet has a role. We are all responsible.

Tracks can be disigned intentionally. Riders can be educated intentionally. We can participate in the sport in a responsible fashion intentionally. We can take steps towards safety intentionally. We can reach out to each other intentionally.

Looking good and receiving honor by speed or ability has become more important than having fun and living to ride another day to many.

You must be a Spode if you have old gear and an old bike. Your a chicken if you can't hit that jump. I hope that guy crashes. Quads suck, bikes rule. I want my trophy. Girls don't belong in motocross. Go punt that kid over a berm. Your not riding fast enough. You can do better. I am gonna throw my helmet on the ground because I am mad. Why did you put me last in the running order. Your to friendly to do a good job. I have the best track ever. I can ride faster than you. Look...I have a camper and three bikes, that guy in the rusty pick up truck...what a bum. But I want first gate drop. Why do I have to share the track, I paid money. We should get more laps. He bumped me. Their is to much dust. They put to much water down. Hahaha...that kid crashed. I don't care if you love to ride, your gonna do what I say. I don want to work with you because you give high fives. Why do we have to wait around all day for our Moto. Lets go party. I am gonna drink or smoke dope before I ride with other people on the track. It's not good enough. Your not good enough. Go pound salt. Your driveway sucks. Why aren't you open? Why can't I ride my pitbike? Why do I have to walk? What is the yellow flag? You mean I have to slow down, but I want to win! Good sportsmanship???...never heard of that. This place sucks. My trip was a waste. I am never coming back. I always get last gate pick.

Some of these attitudes have two sides and are important, but If we can reverse our bad attitude and enjoy the sport for what it is by finding more honor in being with your pals and participating for fun more than anything no matter how serious you are...the sport would be safer and our satisfaction higher and our joy of riding/racing would be richer, our relationships would be stronger and prolly just our general quality of life would be better.

Protective gear, a good designed track, informed and educated riders, safety crew and sound operation are all obvious points of refinement. The machines are way more capable nowadays.

I haven't ridden a track in ohio besides 213 that's had my (450) in 4th gear. Chilitown Cliff an Malvern i was in 4th gear quite a bit on my 250, especially over the bigger faster jumps. I don't have an answer to make things safer, but I think a lot has stemmed from 4 bangers. It took skill to ride a 2T fast, a 4T not so much
That's why I'm anti 4 stroke. Tried my 450 for 10 hours and sold it. That thing was dangerous. And it annihilated my dad. Even though my dad said "wasn't the bike I did it to myself" from a guy who went to LL many times and even beat ken karnow one moto down there.....he never got that effed up on a 96 cr250

These bikes are rocket ships now. Nobody needs that power

But it isn't just the bikes. It people too. But when you're putting a 15 year old kid on a 450 in the B class who wants nothing more than to go as hard as his idolized pros tradgedy is going to Happen. It's inevitable and sad.

I absolutely can't stand the attitude of a few on here sometimes. Some of you are completely throwing out the idea that these bikes are Way too powerful. People are dying you idiots. Mom's are losing their sons and daughters. Nothing should be thrown out. Everything should be on the table. Just because it hasn't happened to you or your family doesn't mean it's not important. I don't want to lose one more rider, ever. I don't even know any of you guys, but I don't want you to get permanently injured or lose your life. I think everyone needs to stop the bickering over this. It's not just one issue. It's a combination of things and it really needs to be addressed. Chew on this message from one of the greatest there ever was.

https://instagram.com/p/0ehHJfvhHO/

Does anyone even investigate these accidents? How fast where they going? What equipment were they wearing? In traffic? Where on the track? Conditions? Was it mechanical?
With 1400 riders at the event someone has to have video. The facts of every accident must be investigated. Finding the root cause or causes and crating corrective actions for those issues is the only way to fix the problem. Without knowing everything you get knee jerk reactions like mine. The worst thing in resent years is nothing is even being tried to improve. Not even the knee jerks.
May GOD be with that family and help ease what has to be the worst experience anyone could ever have.

Protective gear is the best it has ever been. I presume it would be hard for riders to accept an inflatable type protection mainly because we need air flow to our bodies...or more injuries by heat exhaustion would become evident.

I have personally been ridiculed and critiqued for being what was called excessively safety conscious.

One area I attempted to influence was the safety crew at the tracks. I have had flaggers quit because I pushed to hard. But after all, it is just a life the flagger is responsible to protect to the best of their ability without putting themselves in harms way.

Also had the idea of authoring a sort of
"Rider Awareness" booklet to help educate riders on safety.

This is from Kevin Windham:
image.jpg

I absolutely can't stand the attitude of a few on here sometimes. Some of you are completely throwing out the idea that these bikes are Way too powerful. People are dying you idiots. Mom's are losing their sons and daughters. Nothing should be thrown out. Everything should be on the table. Just because it hasn't happened to you or your family doesn't mean it's not important. I don't want to lose one more rider, ever. I don't even know any of you guys, but I don't want you to get permanently injured or lose your life. I think everyone needs to stop the bickering over this. It's not just one issue. It's a combination of things and it really needs to be addressed. Chew on this message from one of the greatest there ever was.

https://instagram.com/p/0ehHJfvhHO/

The bikes are too powerful. Bottom line. Like Georgie said, you put a 15 year old on a 450 who just wants to go balls to the wall, then catastrophe is bound to happen. I mean I've seen 450's haul around dudes who are pushin 300 lbs just fine, and you out a kid on a bike like that, that weighs 130lbs?! These bikes need reevaluating, they're death traps

Inflatable jackets. By the time it inflates it's too late.

What you wanna bounce on air after the initial heaviest hitting impact? What's that gonna do?

That's just a false sense of security to let the 130lb kid on the 450 Go even harder.

These guys at Detroit today are struging and that track looks scary. It doesn't even look fun for how difficult it is. Does it need to be that difficult of a track?!?!

I can ride a 450 in shape. But when I'm tired that thing will hurt me. I can ride a 125 or 250 2 stroke tired and it won't hurt me like the snappy 450 will. But as a rider you have to realize this. And as a parent you have to realize putting your 130lb kid on that 450 is just as stupid as me riding a 450 out of shape. One millisecond tank slap away from injury or death.

The bikes are too powerful. Bottom line. Like Georgie said, you put a 15 year old on a 450 who just wants to go balls to the wall, then catastrophe is bound to happen. I mean I've seen 450's haul around dudes who are pushin 300 lbs just fine, and you out a kid on a bike like that, that weighs 130lbs?! These bikes need reevaluating, they're death traps
Death traps seems like a bit of a stretch. Too easy to ride fast? Probably. No idea what the answer is, but over the top comments like that don't add to the conversation.

As a live long lover of big bore it pains me to say this but they do need to go. Bring back 125 s and keep kids on them until they are 21. No option. Then if you want, you can ride a 250 four stroke. Yes both bikes are still fast and terrible story's like this can still happen but if the playing field is level and no one is on the 450 then it's a mute point. Make neck braces and full should pads mandatory. Again. No option. Encourage though investment in safety company to develop new products. Better helmets, braces, airbags, boots. Everything. Make track safety a mandate which must be run by the AMA. Remove dangours jumps and obstructions near the track. Require track safety crews (flag men) have proper training. And much much more. Drastic changes must be made. If we do not govern our sport and fix the problems then big brother will make all of it illegal. And at the point, I would be in favor of that. This is happening WAY to much

Back