Transponding from the Cliff??

BriarcliffMx

PR Founding Father
So, we are seriously considering the transponder setup, as in we have a quote and the I do plan to buy the necessary components to allow people to get their lap times, with their transponders. IF, big IF, we were to rent transponders, what do you guys think is a fair rate per day? Considering the transponders cost about $100 per year for the subscription on a yearly basis (thats you buying from mylaps before your AMA discount), the price does drop for a longer commitment, but use $100 per year as a basis.

Depends on how fast or slow I am that day. Let me rephrase that...Depends on how not so slow or slow I am that day...

Let me get back to you. Better yet, never mind. Yeah, I am not help. Sorry. I'm CK will get back to you with some data in terms of how many practices vs. the probability of those practices actually happening along with race day and practice cost twisted with the weather man and how many dogs are at the local shelter. Better him tell you than I. ;)... $10? $15?

For the LL stuff I think its $20 bucks with a refundable deposit of $100.

Id say 15 or 20. Give the option to buy one with free transponding also??

So, we are seriously considering the transponder setup, as in we have a quote and the I do plan to buy the necessary components to allow people to get their lap times, with their transponders. IF, big IF, we were to rent transponders, what do you guys think is a fair rate per day? Considering the transponders cost about $100 per year for the subscription on a yearly basis (thats you buying from mylaps before your AMA discount), the price does drop for a longer commitment, but use $100 per year as a basis.

Try to get huntington or a business to sponsor them for ad space for REgional and nationals......

Take your average number of riders per year and divide into $100. Round up to the nearest dollar. Charge everyone that.

Last edited:
So I have to buy the transponder and then pay a $100 a year fee? I was thinking about buying two of them before Daytona to keep from renting at $20 each. But then it looked like I would need to pay an additional $100 each for the subscription, so I that point I said screw it, I will rent two for $40.

Can you explain the actual cost if someone buys one.

From experience (ATV Nationals) its $125 deposit and you get back $100 making the rental $25

I just bought one using the AMA discount and it was just under $100 shipped (includes the 1 year activation)

Each year you have to renew it for $55. So if you don't use it at least 2-3 times a year you are losing money but at least you don't have to deal with renting at the track.

Ok, you cant buy the mylaps transponders anymore (called mx classic on their site)(this is my understanding of it!). They did away with that in December. You are basically leasing them for a subscription price of around $95 a year, but thats year to year. You can get a 5 year deal for way cheaper per year, like $45 per year. The good, if you destroy it or it quits working, send it back and get another. They will deactivate that one, and activate your new one. Again, this is what i know at this point. If you have more questions, just ask me, i will ask them. The bad, you are paying them every year. Now i will say this, i have been involved with these transponders off and on for a awhile now. And seems like they have to be upgraded every 3-4 years no matter what. So by doing the subscription, you do eliminate buying a transponder and having become obsolete in a few years. Plus if lost or stolen, oh well, send me another.

Bill at this point, my plan is either post them or have a monitor displaying them, if you want a hard copy, we will most likely charge a buck or something like that. Still brainstorming.

From eScore: http://escoremx.com/atv-motocross-info.html

Purchasing a transponder
There are now two options for a racer to purchase a transponder. A rental transponder can be kept and used all year. In order to keep a transponder for the year a racer must request a charger. All transponders received from eScore will expire on December 31st of the year they where purchased. At this time the transponder can be reactivated by connecting the transponder to a computer with internet access using the Flex Manager software. The fees for reactivating a transponder are $55 for 1 year, $90 for 2 years, and $180 for 5 years. Transponders can also be purchased on the website for $90 plus $20 shipping. Transponders purchased from the website must be activated in the same fashion upon receiving them and will expire based on the date the transponder was activated and the amount of credit purchased.

You can get times off you smart phone too I think. I have a transponder now. Sounds like it may be obsolete.
I need to get it activated. I dont mind renting it, I own my own so I dont have to stand in line then remember to return it, deposits and all that.

Hmmm, the annual expense is discouraging. Seems like road racing does a good job at this. The tracks have beacons always running at the finish and a couple other places around the track. Riders bring their own lap timers. Everyone I knew had a MyCron or an XT Ultra.

xt_racing_ultra_lap_timer_3.jpg

Hmmm, the annual expense is discouraging. Seems like road racing does a good job at this. The tracks have beacons always running at the finish and a couple other places around the track. Riders bring their own lap timers. Everyone I knew had a MyCron or an XT Ultra.

xt_racing_ultra_lap_timer_3.jpg

For just keeping track of times this is a good way... or now just use the GPS ones, no beacon required and it would work better with jumps and what not. Obviously for racing transponders all the way... Just opinion of another roadrace guy

So if you just purchase the transponder the system wont even read it if there is no subscription ? I thought that was just for scoring purposes? Just for curiosity at practice I think that is ridiculous, if you buy the unit then it should give times at practice for free.

Must be new stuff. In RR it's always been you buy it and then register it, and it works as long as its charged and on the bike. Those ones are around the $400 mark last I checked

Is
Ok, you cant buy the mylaps transponders anymore (called mx classic on their site)(this is my understanding of it!). They did away with that in December. You are basically leasing them for a subscription price of around $95 a year, but thats year to year. You can get a 5 year deal for way cheaper per year, like $45 per year. The good, if you destroy it or it quits working, send it back and get another. They will deactivate that one, and activate your new one. Again, this is what i know at this point. If you have more questions, just ask me, i will ask them. The bad, you are paying them every year. Now i will say this, i have been involved with these transponders off and on for a awhile now. And seems like they have to be upgraded every 3-4 years no matter what. So by doing the subscription, you do eliminate buying a transponder and having become obsolete in a few years. Plus if lost or stolen, oh well, send me another.

Bill at this point, my plan is either post them or have a monitor displaying them, if you want a hard copy, we will most likely charge a buck or something like that. Still brainstorming.
Is there anyway to tie them into a smart phone (for your lap times) while you are renting them for the day? Would there be a different price structure for practice vs. a race? If you can't tie them into a smart phone then, I think it would make sense to have a monitor or monitors to view lap times and I would be willing to pay $10.00 per day.

Last edited:
DHDS01 - you need to contact Mylaps on your purchase, I don't know the answer there buddy.

In terms of lap times for free, I can show them on a monitor, bring a pen and paper to write them down, if you want me to staff it and print you off a pretty page with your crappy times on it for free......ummm No. I will charge you a $1.25 paw. lolollolll!

Is

Is there anyway to tie them into a smart phone (for your lap times) while you are renting them for the day? Would there be a different price structure for practice vs. a race? If you can't tie them into a smart phone then, I think it would make sense to have a monitor or monitors to view lap times and I would be willing to pay $10.00 per day.

I will ask mylaps, as DD mentioned you can do it if you have the subscription on your own transponder, I will see how that works for rentals.

Big fan of transponders, but for race day. Then it should reduce costs (after initial cost) for the promoter and help speed sign-up. Not sure I get it for practice? So if gives you a bunch of numbers that show your lap time...so what? A stop watch that you can buy at the dollar store can do that. The point of knowing your lap time DURING practice is to see it as you ride and how it changes based on what you do different each lap. If you go out and do 8 laps then see the numbers at the end it is near impossible to remember what you did.
To answer the question. I would pay $10 per race. I would rather purchase. (Or go rfid and pay $2 once, sorry I had to get a dig in)

AND just fyi for everyone, Im NOT saying that transponders would be mandatory for either racing or practice at Briarcliff, these would be an added bonus to our riding the facility. So don't try twisting my words here too. I think most people will get hooked on lap times whether its practice or a race.

Back