It happened!

Sweet bike, the red and white plastic with the black rims are a good look... i stopped out at state8 today and the only yamaha left on the floor was a yz250...been thinking about buying a new yz250f for my son,so if any one knows of a really good deal let me know...

I wouldnt be surprised if after you ride it you'll think "I dont need any mods" and if you want more try the tuner first. I think there are some mappings you can get from MXA. I beielve Chuck posted a few on here a while ago under efi. Im also still on the stock mapping. I got the tuner thinking i might move to the more aggressive mapping. After the first ride i figured why mess with a good thing. In comparison my last bike was the 06 model. Had a 270 kit in it, jetting dialed, R&D bowl and full FMF exhaust. Doesnt even come close to comparing with this 2014 motor. I'm always looking for ways to improve a bike. I found no need for this one yet. I think that says alot about it. Ejoy that sweet new ride lol. It only happens once, then it gets dirty.

the only not so great thing... Is ive "heard" that getting parts is not so easy. Which is ucommon for Yamaha in my experience? I cant attest since mine only has a handful of hours on it due to "life & obligations" getting in the dam way all the time lol.

jfalat, you might try Clinton County Motorsports. Ive never been able to get a good price on bikes there, but a guy I know just got a great deal he said on a Yamaha 250F from them. really surprised me.

How do you like that receiver hauler? A friend of mine just gave me one that looks identical to yours. I wanted it to take my son during the week quick to ride for an hour or so without dragging my trailer out. It seems to be a little loose in the receiver, and he has a bolt that he screws down to try and tighten it up some to keep it from bouncing. I am only going to be hauling an 85 on it, so its not a whole lot of weight. Haven't used it yet, so was just curious for any pointers. Last thing I would want to do is lose a bike off the back!

Sweet bike, the red and white plastic with the black rims are a good look... i stopped out at state8 today and the only yamaha left on the floor was a yz250...been thinking about buying a new yz250f for my son,so if any one knows of a really good deal let me know...

My fault, I should have told you I bought the last yz250f they had.. I guess they have been flying off the floor fast. I love the look of it as well!

I will buy the tuner I'm sure, but for now I'm just going to ride stock mapping to see how I like it. Bike is sprung for 180 pound rider, I was 186 a few months ago I dropped down to 165 now to ride a 250f comfortably.. Wanna go down to 160 even, we'll see.. Paleo diet is rough lol.

John, I got my hitch installed at UHaul for $160, and I went to Harbor Freight and caught that receiver on sale for $130... Tips. Take ever bolt out and put red lock tight on it and re tighten it. It is sort of loose if you don't do that.. Instead of strapping to the hooks on the rack, attach them to your holes on your hitch where you would normally put the chains.. Try and let your tires sink into the spots where they sit. I tried it about 8 different ways, the best way like I said is hooking to the holes on the hitch.. On the left side just use the holes on the rack. I've not went on any long trips yet, about a half hour was it, but it held up and stayed tight.. Just go over everything and use red lock tight and you'll be fine.

All the way to florida. Just fine
image.jpg

We got our hitch hauler off of ebay, some guy makes them at his house and sells them for $100 with free shipping in the US. I've had it since 2012 and haven't had any problems nor have any of the welds cracked.

I wish I could have one of those so bad but I have a car and can't use that hitch thing.

Are you sure ? Check out etrailer.com.. They had a hitch for my 1998 Acura Integra. I bought it and installed myself. Used it to tow my yz125 around for a season with no issues before I sold it. They also made a plug in harness.. Very simple. I bet they make a hitch for our vehicle.

I got it used. Holds 450lbs. I use turnbuckles through the foot pegs. Never had a problem. The straps are just in case.
It actually compresses the shock and forks at the same time.
Mine is steel.

That's my only issue with mine is it is mostly aluminum.. Thinner then I would like.

I bought one from summit racing over a year ago.. Hauler works great.. I'm just waiting for the law to give me a ticket because you can barely see my tail lights ... Congrats on the new yzf

Oh I have a hitch on my car. I was looking at those hauler things and said you need a class 2 or 3 hitch or something like that and I have class 1 or it's the other way around. I don't know if I would trust that on my car cause I feel it would sit too low off the back I already scrape any time there is a steeper dip

class 1 = 200lb tongue weight limit

would be pushing it with a dirtbike

i know on my accord my class 1 hitch is installed by drilling 3 holes through the spare tire well o_O dirtbike on a hitch hauler would probably rip those out

First off, like the new YZ, the late 80's white were some of the best looking ever. Not trying to hijack the thread but we seem to have morphed into racks.

I have had a rack like beenridin has, made by a buddy, for 12+ years. Once you get use to watching your bike bounce up and down and the look on the peoples faces in the car right behind you when they do they aren't too bad. Never even close to an issue for me with it but that is definitely a bunch of leverage on in the tongue area. Also- don't ever forget that your brake lights are not as easy to see.

You lightweight car guys could go with the wheelie rack! So what if it smokes your tires, tranny, and chain. I had one like this back in college I used all the time and they were no problem on the rear at all and the bike crosses it up pretty sweet in corners. I used mine on a 1980 WV Scirroco to tow around my YZ250 that has a story for the ages - I swear this is true.

In 1986 I was sitting dead stopped at a light near the OSU campus in that car with my YZ on the back coming home from a track we had nearby. All the sudden the completely stopped Econoline van behind me got rear-ended by some lady going at least 35. The van went into my bike, both tiedowns snapped, bike into car demolishing the backend. When it was over the bike was flat on the roof and the tank and the word Yamaha were smack in the middle of the sunroof. The car was totaled and the ONLY thing wrong with the bike was a small dent in the pipe. My buddy came over and we stuffed the bike in the now completely open hatch area and off we went. A week later we went to the old track at Mid-Ohio to race with his KX500 stuffed in the hatch and the YZ on the wheelie rack.

The insurance company gave me $1,000 more than I paid for it and they let me keep it for $50. It still ran so I just kept driving it until it got cold. We put lawn chairs in the back and people would ride in the homemade rumble seats. I ended up trading it to a buddy for a pair of leathers.... He put a boneyard hatch on it and drove it for 2 more years.

Man I wish I had pictures but that expense just was not in the budget in those college days. This is not my bike or car of course. The memories will never leave though!
803831.jpg thCACSUSCB.jpg

Hilarious Bill!
Those Yz's were tough. I had a 77 and a 78 back in the day.
My lights are pretty visible. I have the light above the rear hatch for the brake as well as the newer led witch are super bright. I had troopers right behind me a few times on this trip and no issues. My older minivan we just traded in was a little sketchy and not as illuminated. I know Mike Bickley upgraded his with better bolts and lights ..... Chime in here Mike!!

First off, like the new YZ, the late 80's white were some of the best looking ever. Not trying to hijack the thread but we seem to have morphed into racks.

I have had a rack like beenridin has, made by a buddy, for 12+ years. Once you get use to watching your bike bounce up and down and the look on the peoples faces in the car right behind you when they do they aren't too bad. Never even close to an issue for me with it but that is definitely a bunch of leverage on in the tongue area. Also- don't ever forget that your brake lights are not as easy to see.

You lightweight car guys could go with the wheelie rack! So what if it smokes your tires, tranny, and chain. I had one like this back in college I used all the time and they were no problem on the rear at all and the bike crosses it up pretty sweet in corners. I used mine on a 1980 WV Scirroco to tow around my YZ250 that has a story for the ages - I swear this is true.

In 1986 I was sitting dead stopped at a light near the OSU campus in that car with my YZ on the back coming home from a track we had nearby. All the sudden the completely stopped Econoline van behind me got rear-ended by some lady going at least 35. The van went into my bike, both tiedowns snapped, bike into car demolishing the backend. When it was over the bike was flat on the roof and the tank and the word Yamaha were smack in the middle of the sunroof. The car was totaled and the ONLY thing wrong with the bike was a small dent in the pipe. My buddy came over and we stuffed the bike in the now completely open hatch area and off we went. A week later we went to the old track at Mid-Ohio to race with his KX500 stuffed in the hatch and the YZ on the wheelie rack.

The insurance company gave me $1,000 more than I paid for it and they let me keep it for $50. It still ran so I just kept driving it until it got cold. We put lawn chairs in the back and people would ride in the homemade rumble seats. I ended up trading it to a buddy for a pair of leathers.... He put a boneyard hatch on it and drove it for 2 more years.

Man I wish I had pictures but that expense just was not in the budget in those college days. This is not my bike or car of course. The memories will never leave though!
View attachment 48311 View attachment 48312

HAHAHA I love old school stories like that!

Back