How did you pick your racing number?

I started off as 977. It is my last three digits of my AMA card. I changed it a couple years later because I want to go to a two digit number instead of a three digit number. Being tight on money meant that I spent less money on numbers. I came up with 44 for two reasons. It was my home address and to get to every race track it seem like at one point we were always on route 44.

My son runs number 266 because that is the last three digits of his AMA number.

When I started in 1989, I went to the track with #256 on the bike. That was my high shcool locker#. Someone else already had 256, so the "2" came off. I ran# 56 for a few years.

In the early to mid 90s, D-11 had a mini serries. First year, I earned 3rd in Open B. Second year,3rd in college boy (1st in Open, BOTH on a 500; holehots for days...). That got me on the # 3 for a few years.

In 2001, I finally caved and just started running my AMA last three: 787.

Disclaimer: the pic in my avatar is Todd DeHoop's Rhino shroud from 1994. I never ran that number!

last 3 of my AMA number. Been the same since 1995. When I was younger I ran the number 51 because I was super into aliens and it represented area 51 the secret government air facility that supposedly housed crashed UFOs.

My bud's favorite rider was Marty Smith and at the time he was number 35. We went racing all over together so I just picked number 36, I am a year older than him. That was about 1975. I still use it on all my bikes. Then my son bought a 98 YZ 125 with 36 on it. He has adopted the number as well.

When I started racing in 1990 my number was 6. My big brother(my hero) was number 0. He always said "I
Ain't nobody out here, I'm just having fun" . He ended up having a bad crash at Broken Spokes and broke his leg really bad and Quit racing. Like I said, I always looked up to my big Bro so I asked him if I could take his number. That was about 22 years ago and ever since people ask me... Why do you have that stupid number? Lol. I love it

My Dad ran #43 in the 70's, 80's, and part of the 90's. I put that number on the older bikes I have, and I run #243 on my newer bikes.

The Peak CR is a different story. Emily went out of town for a weekend and I impulsively drove to buy it with out mentioning it to her. When she came home it had her numbers on it to soften my purchase. #623. I also found out this weekend from one of the vendors at Malvern, that he knew someone from the early 90's with a Peak CR that was also #623. He thought it was his buddy's old bike. I thought that was neat.

When I started racing in 1990 my number was 6. My big brother(my hero) was number 0. He always said "I
Ain't nobody out here, I'm just having fun" . He ended up having a bad crash at Broken Spokes and broke his leg really bad and Quit racing. Like I said, I always looked up to my big Bro so I asked him if I could take his number. That was about 22 years ago and ever since people ask me... Why do you have that stupid number? Lol. I love it
I ran Zero on a sixty for a while (I think that's all we had in the trailer for numbers and I just got a new ktm65) I remember jimmy berg on the line saying Zero's my Hero or something of that nature. Zero is a cool number!

Some of these reasonings behind numbers are great!

My son and I both run our last three of our AMA cards.

When my son was little and was getting ready to race we were trying to figure out what number to put on his bike and it became a big deal between him, my wife and myself so I said lets just wait until his AMA card gets here and run that. That way it will be "his" number. Well it came and the last three are 911. My wife being a surgical nurse didn't think that was too funny but I said a deals a deal and its been that way ever since.

I always liked that number,that's how I always knew it was you. Lol

Started with 84 yr i was born. Then bought darcy lange replica bike in 2006 #330 looked good also my area code so kept it since.

1991 ..... Was working for an automotive repair place. The owner raced Hare Scrambles in CRA. Back then they awarded the previous years class winner with the first 3 numbers. 201,202,203 for the 250 class......101,102,103 for the 125 class and so on. Well I was new to racing so I was going to enter the woodsman class, the "c" class of harescrambles. Of course since its a "mans " type of racing you were only allowed one year in woodsman class and you were bumped out. There were no reserved numbers in that class since you were bumped after year one. They ran the 600 numbers. Being the arrogant prick I am I had decided to run the number 601 signifying I WAS going to win that year. Chickened out at the last minute and went with 01 .... never looked back.

Oh and of course I won the class that year!

When I first raced back in the early 80's I ran my AMA number 436... but got away from the sport when girlfriends and cars took over. When I got back into MX in the early 90's after racing Jet Skis for 5-6 yrs I ran my Jet Ski racing number 955, it was the one assigned to me by the IJSBA and have just stuck with it.

Ran #7 for a year back in the late 90's long before js7. Single digits were popular somewhat changed it to a more badass number, in came the 99. Had kids. first daughter was born on 10-6-01, and the second was born on 1-30-06, so I used the 106. Then the wifey screwed it up royal and the third was born on 7-13-09.....really. So after the Yamaha rolls into the Cliff, Im switching it up to 369. Graphics already done.

Last edited:
Back