Mid-Ohio Plans

Mike

PR Addict
I'm the new guy here, curious how many Pit Racers are heading to Mid Ohio, we need to plan a Saturday night PIT RACER group event.

Me I'm signed up for E3 125 B/C & 50+ B.

And planning to get there Friday at noon and spend the weekend in my "CLASS E" motorhome.

What's everybody planning?

Leaving Friday morning in my Class E-250 Econoline Ford Van. Camping near the woods by the HS track. Haven't decided on what class (es) I'm racing yet.

I'll be there Thursday morning/noon. We'll be in the same place, first spot as you enter the main campground. I thought about moving back to the woods, but that site provides so much entertainment I'm going to stay there. We've had some of the same neighbors for years. So if you see this rig, stop by and say hi.
Camp @ VMD.JPG

Is McGuire coming down with you this year, Dave? Did he ever sell that TM?

Kevin

Hey Kevin, yes Rick is coming and still has the TM. I'm not sure if he is bringing it or not. I'll be stopping by for sure like I always do, see you in a few weeks!

In!

Same spot for the last millennium. Just past the Honda Pavilion, just 'round the corner on the right. Look for my Class A Hurricane "party-stop" for cold beer and lots of laughs and BS.

Still tossing up HS on the IT200 or Trials on the RL250 at this point since MX on the '89 CR250 has bogged out for completion and been hampered greatly by me being on the road for 28 of the last 34 days.

I am in. Plan to get in on Friday if I can keep the travel requests from getting in the way.

Mike, hoping you have something up and running to race. Pick one, clean the filter, change the oil, put in some fresh premix, race it and have some fun. The MX shouldn't need too much time to be ready and your 84 YZ was running well last time I watched you race.

Bring your gear, Mike. My son's going to race the MX360 in vintage open B/C. You're welcome to ride it in Vintage 40+ or something. You can run it in the HS if you want to, also. The bike's tight and right and has lots of motor. It puts that stupid lookin grin on your face every time you ride it.

Thanks Kevin, I appreciate the offer.
I know how much work it takes to keep these machines running and I don't wanna put the wear and tear on your bike. Plus, when I race, it's hard to resist running the hell out of it if I get to battling somebody.

I also have to get my focus back on racing. All my attention right now is on this home project I got going and I still haven't rode yet this year. But I am making progress and beginning to think I can manage to get squared away enough for at least one class of MX. I have also gotten to where I really enjoy Mid-Ohio's Cross Country race on the KDX, and I really don't want to miss that.

I promised my grandson that I would take him riding tomorrow (Sunday) at Briarcliff if it's not cancelled and a swamp, if so, I will take my 03 YZ out and get some track time in.

If this rainy weather pattern persist, Vintage Days might be a bust anyway. Columbus weather forecaster Jim Ganahl said that its a dipping jets stream pattern that could be with us through the middle of July... Yuk!

The Saturday of 2013 absolutely sucked. I raced my bike in that mess that day but not sure that was the best decision. I walked the track before hand and the muck was a foot deep.

I will be located in the pits....maybe camping a night or two or traveling to and fro Westerville (TBD).
The plan is to race PV 250 and NC 0-200 A XC on Friday and E3 250/open and NC 125 B MX the remaining weekend. The other plan is NOT to make too many purchases if I get the chance to browse at the swap meet. I will be running around on my KLX125 so say hi if you see me
-Nick DeVito

You're welcome. The offer stands and I'd expect you to run the hell out of it. If it's going to break it'll break no matter who is on it, no big deal.

I'm hoping that it rains itself completely out before VMD. The 360 melted down a piston on Saturday in '13 with a half a lap to go while leading his class. It was a good thing, I guess, it got me off my ass and I finished the big bore I was working on for it. The thing from that day that really impressed me was the open A guys were really hauling ass, throwing monster roosts in that mess.

Squeezed in some time this afternoon to tear down the KDX.
Man.... I love plated cylinders! It's been about ten years now since I had the cylinder redone, by US Chrome. Engine has many, many hours on it and quite a few races. Cylinder measured exactly to book spec. The piston measurement was off but still below service limit wear, but being replaced anyway.
The only gasket I need is cylinder head, and I just ordered it and should be here this week.

You don't realize how bad you miss the chance to race these old bikes at an event like Vintage Days until you are staring at the possibility of not getting to do it.

It's really pathetic to be rushing around at the last minute on this when I've had a year.:(

Mike,

Good news that it looks like you will have at least 1 bike up and running for Mid-Ohio.

Work travel is threatening my VMD plans. I am being eaten by mosquitos in the middle of Africa at an oil production camp hoping that my anti-malaria medicine is doing its job.

My plan is to get out of here in time but there are rumbings about extending my stay. ARGH!

NQ you are welcome to race one of my bikes in Non-Current 125 class. Most likely candidate would be the 1989 KX125 as it seems the most ready to go and I've ridden it around the yard and done some minor jetting on it.

EDIT -- that might qualify for the new "Classic" non current class also.

Ooh KX125........Man, that's a tempting offer as well.
I've been thinking on the Non-Current class as I can have my 98 CR ready to race. All the parts are there just need to reassemble it. I'll have it and the KDX fired up by this weekend.

Last couple of years I've been a little resistant to racing Non-Current at Vintage Days. The Mid-Ohio track just doesn't seem to me enough of a challenge for the later model bikes. And the bikes likes bigger jumps. But I will race it (my 98 CR) if that's my only option for MX.

Most of all, I'm gonna be bummed not racing my MX250. But if the weather doesn't dry up, I'd leave it at home anyway, the mud just takes too much out of vintage bikes.

I'll pull the 84 YZ out this weekend as well, and if it starts easy and runs OK I'll just do a quicky service on it and bring it up to race.

Thanks for the offers guys, you've all helped me get my mind back in the game and I can't wait to get there.

Last edited:
Pit If Mike backs out I'll be a Pitracer factory backed racer for the weekend! I'll give that #153 guy the what for!

Pit If Mike backs out I'll be a Pitracer factory backed racer for the weekend! I'll give that #153 guy the what for!

Whoa thems fighten words! I'll have to borrow one of Pit's 125's too because I don't have a 125 anymore, just the 250 :(

Back