VMD National title

Oldnslo

Noob
Does a guy need to participate in all three disciplines( MX, H/ S and trials ) to contend for a national championship at VMD 2015 ? And does a 74 Wassal Penton fit any category for trials ? I only have the little 125 Wassal Penton and a 84 Honda 250 trials bike. Both are twin shock and drum brake bikes. I can't find where to looked up what qualifies in terms of bikes and year / make....Sorry for being so ignorant but I am brand new to all things vintage racing and find a different set of rules for just about every different sanctioning body....thanks in advance for your time...

Last edited:
For a guy new to this thing you have quite a collection! Attached is the classes I found the AMA site. Looks like you have a class for both in trials. Also - I think you said this is your first time going - make sure you and anyone else you bring with you have some form of a pitbike that you would be comfortable riding all over the place. You do not want to walk - I put 60 miles on my TC125 one year and I never left the place.

Attachments

• 2015 VMD Classes.pdf
    170 KB · Views: 114
I have been riding, racing and collecting/bikes of all sizes and shapes for over 35 years, so yeah I probably have more than most guys in terms of bikes. 150 plus in total. I never felt the need to compete on the older bikes I own but a very serious health scare has taught me to enjoy the little time I have left, so thats what I plan on doing for as long as I can.
I have a brand new Honda EZCub 90 I have been storing since the 80's I plan on finally using as my Pit bike.

60 miles at one venue in a weekend is an insane amount. You must have been having a real blast of a time and at the end of the day , for me at least, that's what it is all about...

Thank you again for taking the time to guide this Noob . I appreciate it...

Also - they give a national championship award in every class they have. To my knowledge there is not an overall national champion of any type but I could be wrong.

http://www.americanmotorcyclist.com/events/amavintagemotorcycledays/vintageracing

Here are the highlights:

• The AMA Vintage Grand Championships crown vintage class AMA Racing National Champions in motocross, hare scrambles, trials and roadracing. The event also includes a round of the AMA Vintage Dirt Track National Championship Series.
  • Riders in motocross, hare scrambles, trials and roadracing will compete for AMA National No. 1 plates. Dirt-track racers will earn points toward series awards.
  • Designated A classes in each discipline earn points toward the event’s two highest honors: AMA Track Racing Vintage Grand Champion and AMA Off-Road Vintage Grand Champion. In addition, a Senior class rider will be honored as the AMA Senior Off-Road Vintage Grand Champion for his or her performance in designated A classes in motocross, hare scrambles and trials.
  • Individual class champions in Motocross, Hare Scrambles, Roadrace and Trials and the Vintage Dirt Track National class Champions are invited to the end-of-year AMA competition banquet honoring all AMA National Champions.
  • Riders 12 years of age and older can compete in motocross, trials, hare scrambles and dirt-track events at the AMA Vintage Grand Championships. Riders must be 14 or older to compete on a motorcycle with a displacement more than 250cc. (Youth riders are not permitted in the dirt-track Brakeless class.) Riders16 years of age and older can compete in the Roadrace events at the AMA Vintage Grand Championships.

I have been riding, racing and collecting/bikes of all sizes and shapes for over 35 years, so yeah I probably have more than most guys in terms of bikes. 150 plus in total. I never felt the need to compete on the older bikes I own but a very serious health scare has taught me to enjoy the little time I have left, so thats what I plan on doing for as long as I can....

150 plus bikes???.... You could hold your own Vintage Days event.
Good to here that you made the decision to race.

That's what my wife says ! It kind of snowballed over the years. There was a time a guy could get a super tricked out bike on the cheap and I did that to the point of a sickness. I had more but sold many in the last 5 to 7 years and saved only what I considered to be the best. Now it's time to stop looking at them and beat the living hell out of a few of them once again. Many of my bikes have not run in anger in decades but thats all about to. change. Again my thanks to each of you. See you at the races !

No sorry. Not at this time. The newest MX bike in my collection is a 1988 Suzuki RM250.
The older is a Rickman BSA 500 Weslake , serial number 001.

Last edited:
That's what my wife says ! It kind of snowballed over the years. There was a time a guy could get a super tricked out bike on the cheap and I did that to the point of a sickness. I had more but sold many in the last 5 to 7 years and saved only what I considered to be the best. Now it's time to stop looking at them and beat the living hell out of a few of them once again. Many of my bikes have not run in anger in decades but thats all about to. change. Again my thanks to each of you. See you at the races !
I'd like to see an angry '77 IT 175 again. But then I seem to remember them as happy little bikes...

Ha ha.....my IT is angry....because I have not moved it in a few decades...I got it running today , it idles fine but when I apply the throttle and it comes off the pilot and goes to the main it bogs real bad. The carb is perfect, filter is new, plug is new, pipe is clear, reeds are fine...Any ideas ? Air leak maybe ? Crank seal ? If I hold the throttle open long enough it will finally rev like it should but go right back to idling find and bogging on throttle...Confused and bummed....I want to run it at VMD....

Last edited:
Couldn't be something simple like a rag in the intake? Not that I had ever done that with similar results.

In my mind an air leak would have a more noticeable impact at low throttle, especially at idle, when intake vacuum draw is strongest.
Sounds to me like a fuel flow stoppage somewhere.

You are farther along than me. My '77 IT 175 has had the cylinder off for over 30 years now. Hope you get to ride yours but with your collection are there any substitutes available?

Sounds like something's plugged to me. I'd go thru the carb again with a fine tooth comb. Shoot every passage with carb cleaner, then blow it out with air. Double check the float level and the jets for crap. Blow the fuel line out, and make sure the petcock is flowing.

Kevin

Thanks to all.....going to work on again today. I can grab something else if my ole favorite does not want to go racin with me again....It could be its just scared to go , it's been awhile for the ole fellow. I'll try talking a little smack to it and maybe tell I always liked theKDX better...Hate these type of issues because I know it's going to be something simple....I see it leaking a little around the petcock and its possible its starving for fuel at full song.

Back