Best VMD in Years!

Vet261

PR Addict
Great time, great event, super packed! It was way better attended than any I have been to in recent years. Swap meet packed, camping packed, people everywhere. At one point on Saturday it seemed like every square inch of the place was covered with motorcycles.

Huge thanks to Alex and the rest of the AMA, the Log Road crew, and everyone else for making this possible and for the progressive thinking on trying to better the MX portion.

I thought the new format was great. Even though we did not get 3 motos in because of weather, it allowed everyone to have an awesome day of racing yesterday! The new format allowed them to cancel the last moto and not have a whole portion of the attendees (post vintage) have to race their whole event in the rain. Love it, keep it going this way.

Also, the track was the best, most fun I've raced there since probably 2006. It was a blast and had a nice flow to it.

Can't wait till next year!

Well the first time you got red flagged was the gate breaking (got you flipping it over on camera by the way haha). The second time because one of the riders crashed and I believe was ran over in turn two and he was pretty slow to get up. The track looked awesome this year and everyone was in agreement that it was the best track ever for this race.

I'll echo every positive comment and praise offered up for the weekend. Th AMA and Log Road crew hammered it out of the park on this years event.

And not being critical here, just constructive views to improve "OUR" future races at Mid Ohio, I absolutely loved the track layout, and agree that it was the best in years. On the starting gate issue though.... I think more thought is needed on that one. It's my own opinion that the starting gate and first turns (plural), are a big and important part of the race for spectator's enjoyment as well as the racers. I'm sure the spectators on the observation mound (north end of track) didn't think much of not being able to see the starts.

The track was fast, challenging, and very well built considering they had to accomodate Vintage and PV together. I thought the single jump into the whoop section was the coolest improvement and hope they use that idea again in the future. Kenworthy's had a similar jump, so it was very cool getting to experience that at Vintage Days.

Great racing action in all of our moto's, and even though we were rained out of our third set, I hope they stick to the 3 moto format. My riding has been little this year so it took me a couple races to get up to speed, so I was looking forward to getting my last opportunity to improve my results. Maybe next year.

Most of all, Nancy and I enjoy and greatly appreciate the social aspect to Vintage Days. It's always a blast hooking up with and racing with fellow Pitracer members, old friends we've met from past races, and we always make new friends every year. Such a great environment, always a blast.

Last edited:
I am in complete agreement about the track and event - great and in the long run we all got to race on a fast, tacky, loamy track for 2 motos just like we always had. If the weather would have held for Sunday it would have just been a bonus really. I ran practice on Friday and there were a few sections I didn't like. I go out on Saturday morning and they were gone! I guess everyone thought same and thanks to Log Rd and the AMA. Not the best racing for me but I would but I would pay to ride that track again.

Only one question - how the heck did I wind up in the 2 red flag motos? I was motos 7 and 9 so in the first set of the day I had 2 starts in under 1/2 hour with a full moto and 1/2 of a lap before a 3rd start. When he flipped over the 1 card my clutch was so freakin hot the bike was creeping toward the gate and I had no choice but to dump it. Took me a bit to start after that and I was smoked. I was much smarter in my second 3 gate inside of a half hour session later in the day.

Also - I was right behind the rider that went down hard for the red flag. It was right past that hay bale people were going left of a bunch at the slight left after the first turn. Anyone know if he is okay and or what injuries? I am pretty sure nobody hit him but man he hit hard. He was on a Honda.

Thanks for the positive feedback... we here at the AMA don't get a ton of positive feedback on Mondays. Technically we had three red flags, one because some hit the gate and everyone ran over it (not really a gate malfunction), one because we had a guy go down hard in the first turn, ended up breaking a collarbone and maybe more (when we have 50 yr old guys saying they can't move, we red flag races for safety), the last was for something really stupid I wish didn't happen.

Using Jeremy's gate gave us the option to help with the logistics of the facility, the pits, staging and tame down the traffic jam on the main road. Overall I thought from the hill's angle the start was pretty epic looking with everyone cresting the hill into view and the first turn. Either way we have some ideas to help keep the start in the same area but move it where people can see it.

For those people who stole all the AMA banners including the one's making our gate box... I applaud you.. that was some much needed comedy on Sunday morning.

Planning for 2016 VMD has begun today... stay tuned...

I think we had a pretty good Pitracer showing as well.
I'm curious who all we had there? (feel free to copy/paste and change)
I know I'm missing some, just takes awhile to replay it all back in my head.

NQ1965 (myself and wife)
Vet261
Beenridin (and Jack)
KRH (and son Ben)
Mooch
Mosher
Mike
Cutty22
KO1 (didn't race)
Dano762
dmx153
Bill88L
LoneWolfeMotocast (Kyle Wolfe - Video-Photo work)
Action Sports Racing (Drew Wolfe-racing)
Rick Devine
Misstheflip
VLK943
AHRMA 361 (you were there weren't you mike? )
Team186
evomx244
mxkid

Thought it went well, no complaints here, and got a good chuckle over the last red flag.My son loved the jumping into the whoops glad it did not get taken out. Nice showing of younger riders there also

Last edited:
Hey Alex...

Is there anything AMA can do to get Mid-Ohio to pony up for a real PA system that everybody can hear?

They need to see if they can borrow Jeremy's (Briarcliff) new system. It is top notch and you can hear it everywhere very clear, and even over the sound of bikes and generators running.

I have it on go pro. He was right ahead of me. I believe he cut off the top of his number plate and the brake cable got wired in there and locked up
He did not take the ambiance ride is all I know.

Back