Best VMD in Years!

Some pre-entries did not show up but I believe the number was around 380. Which is the highest number of entries in 5 years or so...

Yes, that is an awesome turnout. Close to the AHRMA record numbers back in 2008 or so. Glad to see it keeps growing...

So it was around 7:30 last night, I had just finished mowing the lawn, and now I'm standing at my garage and driveway cutting lumber for my carport project. The sun is at just the right angle giving a warm orange and yellowish glow and I'm feeling good and comfortable.

As I measure out my next cut, my mind is already thinking out my work plans for this weekend. I glance over and the dirt bikes are all covered with tarps and buried under tools, parts, and clutter again, and then it hits me. ...... "Damn.....Vintage Motorcycle Days has already came and gone". For me that is almost like the passing of seasons because the event is always the highlight of my year.

I didn't think I was gonna race this year, held off to the last minute to get my act together once the decision was made to, then becoming obsessively focused and driven preparing for it, mentally, physically and emotionally. I burned two extra vacation days to ease the compression on the schedule. We got busy, did it, and now it's gone already. And being home by 1 Pm Sunday cleaning bikes and gear had an unnatural feel, as though we were cheated out of some of the weekend. It all just came and went too soon. And I know there are other races we can, and may do, but just not the same.

Left me feeling very sad.

Last edited:
I was so excited about racing the 82 YZ at Mid-Ohio, now that's it's over I'm like what's next ?

It sure was fun while it lasted, still can't believe I found that overweight/top heavy beast ! Sure was fun riding it again!

Feeling the same way, but I have an partial cure.

Sept. 5-6: Post Vintage and Vintage Motocross. Nickota Motorsports Park, Bedford, Ky - part of the AMA Vintage Grand Tour.
http://nickotamotorsports.com/

It is less than an hour from my house in Kentucky. I am about 10 minutes from downtown Cincinnati. I have lots of room for sleeping or camping in Northern KY.

Invite is out if anyone wants to stage near Cincinnati and then head to Bedford for some racing.

After the race, on Sunday night, Sept. 6, Cincinnati has a huge fireworks show called RiverFest. We never miss it and have working through the 500,000 person crowd down to a science using shuttles and free parking.

PM me if anyone is interest in going to the race and needs a stop over place in Cincinnati.

Dan

I was already planning on that one Dan, bout 1.5 from my house. Plus I have some seat time on that track ! Brapppppp

5 more AHRMA races this year, including McKee's Sky Ranch in WV next weekend, and DELTA here in Ohio is September.

There were two more events on the AMA Grand Tour schedule but the Jimmy Weinert vintage event seems to have disappeared? Not sure if its a mistake on the schedule or if its been canceled. Maybe Alex can tell us.

the weekend started out watch class A RV with trailers getting stuck all over the place in the campground,my class C with rack got me camping for $60 as it only uses one spot where we enjoyed the mud show,my CT70 pit bike broke while visiting the boys over at the far end of the road racing track,long push back and no luck getting it running again until Friday when it acted up again but I got it back before it died so I spent the rest of the weekend on the ossa,picked up a few goodies in the swap meet,and really enjoyed the campground races Saturday nite along with the festivities further back in the far corner of the campgrounds,there was some crazy stuff going on back there,good seeing the pit racer guys there and the thrash to get the CR250 back up was fun too

I thought it was just me that feels like that.
Anyway, my two boys and I, for the 7th time in a row, had a helluva good time and I can't really add anything to what's already been said. I was amazed how packed it got and the number of spectators watching MX. There are lots of people I only see once a year, and I really enjoy seeing them all. Saw all of the usual suspects and met Dano762 this year, nice meeting you and thanks again. Saw msinclair for a second while NQ1965 and I were talking after their HS. I didn't get to talk to him because some older (than me) guy with a knee brace asked for (really needed) a ride back to the pits in the cart. Had several beautiful Huskies back at his pit.
Was really bummed we missed our 2nd moto Saturday afternoon, but it was our fault. My kid, Ben, thought he was going to have something for Rick Devine in the second moto. Guess we'll never know now, Rick's pretty fast anyway. First VMD he didn't bring any hardware home with him. I personally know of two people who didn't race MX because of the new format and I was worried that was going to mean a low turnout. I don't know that many people and if I know two and everyone else knows two..........I guess I didn't need to worry about it. I like the new format and it ran really well. Just a great job by all involved. Thanks.
Sold a bike, almost bought another bike because I'd like to have a vintage KX125. Brought a bike home for a friend that he bought there. Got the motorhome stuck in our campsite Thursday but was able to drive it out Sunday. Didn't break anything, so all is good.
I heard all about the party in the back Friday night from my boys but didn't go back. I hear the guy that won the beer can slalom was wearing nothing but a sock and they had a burnout board with no shortage of takers. The Saturday night barrel racing was something else.

See everyone next year.

KRH

Bennie 2 small.jpg

Last edited:
Your buddy about took me out in the second plus 40! moto, he was going to get t bone but fell before I had the chance and damn near took me out again

Was this before or after t bone?

http://gallery.americanmotorcyclist...51848_JLD8dr#!i=4208142755&k=WcRF92K&lb=1&s=A

Or, this one?

http://gallery.americanmotorcyclist...51848_JLD8dr#!i=4208142994&k=n37txLJ&lb=1&s=A

Or maybe here?

http://gallery.americanmotorcyclist...51848_JLD8dr#!i=4208143515&k=f5W6Wqx&lb=1&s=A

Last edited:
5 more AHRMA races this year, including McKee's Sky Ranch in WV next weekend, and DELTA here in Ohio is September.

There were two more events on the AMA Grand Tour schedule but the Jimmy Weinert vintage event seems to have disappeared? Not sure if its a mistake on the schedule or if its been canceled. Maybe Alex can tell us.

I remember that it was the same weekend as the KY one. Only thing I found was on their facebook page and it now appears it is the weekend before on Saturday 8/29, practice on Friday. Looks like they are also having a CCMX series race, which appears to be non AMA, on Sunday. Not sure why you can't find that hard to read flyer online? My guess is he may have seen the opportunity for a much bigger event by including them. I'm out - my youngest turns 18 on 8/30.

https://www.facebook.com/JWTFMX

Thanks Bill, I found it and can almost read the details. I'm afraid it looks like they have dropped the AMA Vintage Grand Tour event. Unfortunately, that is the third event that has been cancelled this year leaving only five such events for 2015. I'm being kind and including the Log Road fiasco in that total, otherwise it would be a 50% cancellation rate.

While some may disagree Vintage MX racing in our area may have found its natural level. The AMA does a wonderful job with VMD, and may run a few random events on a non series/non AMA rules basis. ARMHA has hired a regional manager and will continue to develop national and regional series events.

It is what it is..... the only regret that I have is the quality and consistency of the 2013 & 2014 Vintage AMA series was exceptional. And we miss it.

High Point Vet/Vintage National in September!!

Man I was hoping I could make that one this year! Unfortunately - Dad's weekend with my daughters sorority at Miami........ I gotta admit it is also a pretty fun weekend and a can't miss. It's like stepping back in time 30 years.

Back