Smith Road open vs. split practice, please weigh in

mastiffmom

PR Addict
We are considering splitting up practices when it gets really busy like last week and would like to hear everyone's thoughts and concerns. Our thought is to run open practice from 4-5 then split in to two groups. A&B in one group Vet & C ( kids that ride the big track as well) in the other group, we would alternate these two groups every 1/2 hour and then go back to open practice after 8:00 pm, on nights with a small turn out we would just stick with the open format. Let us know what you think, I'm headed to cheer/football practice but I will answer any questions when I get in this evening.

Typically, I prefer an Open practice.

But, when things get as crowded as they were last Wednesday I think it would be wise to split things up.

I'd keep it open practice. Apple Cabin (with the except of one mini/women session) and Youngstown MX are open practice, and I love it. They can get just as many, if not more, riders as you guys do, and it has never been an issue.

I don't like sessioned practices.

#1: once you split the sessions, people start asking for more splits. Everyone wants their own practice, like they want their own motos.
#2: People abuse the split anyway and go out for multiple practices.
#3: if it gets real busy, just attempt to place some flaggers in the sketchy spots. Like the first jump when you enter the track and anywhere else that is blind, which isn't many. For the most part when someone goes down the riders have the ability to see far in advance. That's a plus with smith road.

OR:

Determine a max number of riders that will be on the track at once, use a clicker when they go, and another when they're off. If 5 come off, let 5 more on. With open practice its a constant with people entering and exiting the track. So, say once 60 riders are the track, you start holding people in pre-staging and allowing people to enter as others come off....

what they all said. IF you decide to split anyways, 30 min at a time is way too long to sit around... i can get tired in 15-20 min, and only need about 10 to relax and want to go out again.. 30 min you will have people pull off early..or you dont ride hard for the full 30 min just to get your time in, and thats also a waste...

When we go to groups on an open practice weekend, we do something similar as you have mentioned: 3 groups. A/B, C, and Minis....but we rotate 15-20 minutes. It seems to work well. People seem to tolerate that.

I like the groups. The track is more clear when I go out and I can run a good pace the entire session with other riders doing the same pace or faster than myself. If you do 2-3 groups 15-20 minutes a piece that is more seat time than the average rider puts in on an open practice day. Motoland in Indiana has an awesome set up but it takes two tracks to run like they do. They two 20 min. sessions. You run 20 min on one track then 20 min off then 20 minute on the other track. They keep that rotation the whole day. It more than enough track time. The 20 minutes off is just enough time to rest and get googles clean and be ready to go again.

Problem I see with this idea @ Smith is how in the world are you going to control it? You have 3904839048 different spots you can come on/off the track. A/B/C might as well be one big group. Give the little kiddos some separate time if it's that crowded. 30 mins is a long moto for minis.

Its worked well for how many years? Why fix a broken thing?

I LOVE open practice, especially with the limited time you have in the evening. I can get there and ride by 6pm put in 3 or 4 20-30 min sessions and be out at 9. You split things up and that will end for many guys. Im sure the majority of riders dont do that but plenty do.

I honestly dont think it was the amount of bikes that were a problem last week, it was the dust. If you could somehow convince your tractor people to dig that dirt deep and water it properly it would be epic. Look at the 2 previous weeks, that track cant get any better. I was like a kid in a candy shop both of those weds nights. The prep was PERFECT, the track corners changed some what in the back, plenty of riders too. The rain made all the difference. Last weds no rain = bad dust and dangerous conditions.

Smith rd is the ideal practice track when prepped correctly. LOTS of rutted corners with multiple lines, lots of riders forcing line choice and great traction to practice that all in.

Trust me, dig it deep and water it too much. Everything will fall into place.

I don't like sessioned practices.

#1: once you split the sessions, people start asking for more splits. Everyone wants their own practice, like they want their own motos.
#2: People abuse the split anyway and go out for multiple practices.
#3: if it gets real busy, just attempt to place some flaggers in the sketchy spots. Like the first jump when you enter the track and anywhere else that is blind, which isn't many. For the most part when someone goes down the riders have the ability to see far in advance. That's a plus with smith road.

OR:

Determine a max number of riders that will be on the track at once, use a clicker when they go, and another when they're off. If 5 come off, let 5 more on. With open practice its a constant with people entering and exiting the track. So, say once 60 riders are the track, you start holding people in pre-staging and allowing people to enter as others come off....
Got one word for ya on your clicker idea Dumb!!! Stick to bitching cuz you know nothing about running a track.and your post on vital if we don't like you you die. I'm still here been doing for 17 yrs and I'm going start giving back to you critics!!!

I don't expect to see the clicker idea tried. And BJ Your still here because the riders like you. Your track has always been on my favorites to RACE on.

In all fairness his marketing could be better. For those that thought it was too kiss kiss of me. I can't get that reputation.

Not a fan of sessions. However just 2(and only 2!) groups of 20 minutes would be very Managable, maybe even nice.
Sure some people may try to milk running both groups, but the super fast guys and true C/joy riders wouldn't dare. If someone's not a serious offender I could careless.
Smith attracts a very broad range of riders that tend to bunch up when it gets crowded. Saw a lot of pile ups today.

I don't think splitting the practice is groups is a good idea, I have never been a fan of it- I have been riding Smith Rd. since I have been on sixties (I rode on the big track on small bikes) and I think keeping it one big open practice is the way to go! Rarely is there ever a problem with a faster rider hitting a small bike or slower rider unless that riders lacks the ability to ride safe him/herself.

The best option imo, maybe not the most economically feasible, is finding a way to build a c track. Not sure how long Larry plans to own the track, but a c track could pay off big in the long run. It might fit off to the side, between the whoops and the train tracks. And you could use some of the woods back there next to the furthest back turn by the tracks. Make it as wide as possible with some table tops and whatnot and you got a c track.

the whole track is a "c" track in terms of skill needed. i think they were looking more so to split up rider #s on the track at one time.. i dont think they need a seperate track..theyd have to make the main track smaller then and that would suck.

Back