125 vs 250F

John250

PR Founding Father
My son Matthew just turned 12 years old, and rides Mini Jr. He is a big kid. Probably 5'4 and 145 lbs. Just out growing an 85. I don't want to hassle with building a supermini.

I thought I would move him to a 125 after all the series races end in September. Today he rode a 250F for the first time on a big bike. Took some slow laps and by the time he was done was jumping everything he does on his 85 and looking more comfortable on it.

Now I am wondering......mess with a 125, a bike without a class, or just go 250F? He is a smooth rider, so I now I am thinking maybe 250F. Suggestions??

125 is lighter and safer in my opinion.
That is my path anyway.. Oh and cheaper too. Maint.

I'd say 250f if you like to go racing more than just to practice. 125s are way more fun in my opinion but if he's a good rider with fundamentals already just get a four stroke especially if he's growing. Or buy both u can swing it lol

You know your boy better than anyone. I went from a CR80 to a YZF400 at 14...I was a big kid and also always rode bigger bikes for fun. The rule was...if you can start it you can ride it. We hopped on big bikes with no hope of touching the ground...if we fell...we didn't get help unless needed. This was all play riding in our easy backyard trails.

I'm a four stroke fan. A big bike is a big bike in dimension...but power is a different story. Four strokes are easier to ride too.

I would say finish out the poings race on the mini with limited time on a big bike...sometimes that is more dangerous for a kid to hop back and forth...depends on the rider. After points race is over...practice on a big bike. Keep him reigned in to make sure he is strong enough and understands how much more power he has underneath him...125 or 250f.

He may be able to ride one now...but it's a different story when he gets into trouble on the bike.

Maybe do the 125 for a little while and then get the 4 stroke...you can do it anyway you want...just pay attention to him on the bike and educate him...make sure he understands what he is riding as he makes the transition. Every kid is different in adjusting to this transition. Their is no set format.

I really think the 125 is a great bridge bike from the supermini to the 250F. If you're skipping the supermini, I would say a yz 125 would help him learn proper technique that will stay with him for the rest of his life....

I could be biased, as I have a new found love for the small bore 2 strokes....my funnest years were supermini...maybe just build him a supermini. lol.

But I did race a RM 125 before I got a 250F when I was 16 and transitioning to big bikes. I think it helps being on a 2 stroke...

Those dudes are correct. There is no substitute for learning on a small bore two stroke. Technique. 125.

After watching him a few times and talking to you about his reluqutency with jumping I would say no doubt 125. He is not that big and it would help him build confidence before adding all that extra power. Added bonus is he still would have 2 classes (schoolboy and 125 bc)

If you're transitioning from a mini to a big bike I would have to say go to a 125. He may love the 250f but imagine how much faster he will be if he learns how to rip on a 125 then moves to the 250f. Not to mention, 125s are much cheaper and easier to tweak to figure out exactly what he wants out of a big bike.
Personally, I think the 125 is a huge part of learning your way around the big bikes. Sure, the four strokes are the future and the future is here. However, 125s have been a stepping stone for years and 9 times out of 10 the guys who can ride a 125 well make the transition to the 250f and progress from there.
I've seen kids move from 85s to 250f and have a really hard time with controlling the big bike. They aren't as successful and don't learn how to handle the bike quite as well.
Pay your dues and let him learn the easier way isn't always the best way.
Just my two cents..

I am right in the middle of this situation now. My oldest son Zack, is on the 125 and the 250f. Actually is now transitioning to the 250 2-stroke. My youngest (Chase) who is a decent rider but does not ride as much is on a 125. He has rode Zack's 250f and really likes it and wants one. I told him that want him to get at least one full season on the 125 under his belt. I am a firm believer that the 250f being easy to ride encourages riders to ride beyond their ability. That coupled with young person who might not make the best decisions anyway and is transitioning to a bigger bike is not always the best combination.

No decisions have been made but I wouldn't be surprised to see a season long 125 class next year. Heck we almost had it this year between the night and battle seires.

John250, I will chime in on this. I believe that it would be best to move your boy on to a 125. The 125's are a natural transition for the youngsters that are coming up in mx. Its like a supermini on steroids, full size and light so, they can get use to a big bike without the weight of the 4 strokes. Your son, like mine has always been big for his age (by mx standards), and I bet he will love the suspension on a 125 (Jonathan does) while still having enough power to do what he needs to do, on the track. I think putting these kids on these very powerful 250's to soon is asking for problems, imo. Also, there are plenty of classes to race with a 125, there is the 125 class, 2 stroke, c-class and I think some others but that would typically be enough for a night at the races. Good luck!!!

This is alot cheaper to fix! Probably could buy a new used 2 stroke for what it cost when a 4 stroke lets go.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 252
We were in the same boat we went 125 and Dylan loves riding it- he counts how many 250F he can pass. If you do any L.L. you have 3-4 years in schoolboy 1. Nothing like a 125 ripping in a pack of thumpers.

Back